What's new

Item of the Week Calendar and Discussion - 2014

Jim,

What an awesome restoration. I love seeing these old brushes restored to their former glory.

Thanks much, Mike. I enjoy restoring old brushes of just about any sort, but I confess that I derive the most satisfaction from salvaging those that appear to be lost causes. When I see one of these old beaters with its knot worn down to a nub, I often wonder about the original owner. It's even more fun if I happen to stumble upon some history associated with the brush. Needless to say, this week's SOTD theme is by far my favorite thus far!

For this morning's shave I went with my most recent restoration, an Art Deco stylePro•Phy•Lac•Tic. I acquired the handle as a participant in duderubble's pass-around brush PIF. As received:
$Prophylactic Handle Before Collage.jpg

(apologies for my poor photography). After opening up the socket to accept a larger knot and polishing it up, I fitted the handle with an 18mm flat top Shavemac 2-band D01 badger knot, set at approximately 40mm loft. After photos:

Pre-bloom: $Prophylactic Pre-Bloom.jpg Post-bloom: $Prophylactic Bloom.jpg

For anyone who are inclined, I found a bit of interesting (to me, anyway) history on this brush that I included in my posts here in the Brush Making and Restorations subforum.

It's a nice little brush-- I think the knot complements the handle shape really well. As for performance, this morning was only my second time using it, and I'm not yet entirely convinced that flat top knots are for me. The feel is significantly different from a bulb or fan and probably requires getting used to that difference. This morning's was a very comfortable, nice shave.

Here's what I'm shaving with this week:
$fL2iDuf.jpg
I assembled it before shaving, btw. It's a Gillette Old Type. My routine:

Wash face in hot shower
Apply homemade pre shave oil while finishing shower
Omega 10066
Tabac sample
face lather
three passes, warm water rinse in between
warm water rinse
cold water rinse
Fine Accoutrements sample of the day

I find the Old Type a very effective, but unforgiving razor. Being mindful of blade angle/pressure will reward you with a superior shave. Thank goodness, today was a superb shave: 6 hours later I'm still completely, comfortably BBS.

For this morning's shave I went with my most recent restoration, an Art Deco stylePro•Phy•Lac•Tic. I acquired the handle as a participant in duderubble's pass-around brush PIF. As received:

(apologies for my poor photography). After opening up the socket to accept a larger knot and polishing it up, I fitted the handle with an 18mm flat top Shavemac 2-band D01 badger knot, set at approximately 40mm loft. After photos:

For anyone who are inclined, I found a bit of interesting (to me, anyway) history on this brush that I included in my posts here in the Brush Making and Restorations subforum.

It's a nice little brush-- I think the knot complements the handle shape really well. As for performance, this morning was only my second time using it, and I'm not yet entirely convinced that flat top knots are for me. The feel is significantly different from a bulb or fan and probably requires getting used to that difference. This morning's was a very comfortable, nice shave.

so great to see 'artisans' just do things differently for experimentation!
thanks for sharing those neat, vintage brushes!

Here's my only current restoration. I've got a few still in the works.

This is an Opal 200 French Bristle that was still in pretty good shape, but the bristles had sorta lost all their oomph and couldn't make good lather. Most of the work on this went into cleaning all the plaster out of the inside and filling it back in with epoxy. The knot is a 22mm TGN Super Silvertip set about 52mm.
$Before 2.jpg$OpalFrBristleSOTD.jpg

This is an Opal 200 French Bristle that was still in pretty good shape, but the bristles had sorta lost all their oomph and couldn't make good lather. Most of the work on this went into cleaning all the plaster out of the inside and filling it back in with epoxy. The knot is a 22mm TGN Super Silvertip set about 52mm.

great clear bottom! will be a neat brush!

@sarimento1: Thanks! That's a nice photo on the water. I always liked those Rubberset brushes like that. I've never seen one with that kind of blue.

Don't catch cold down there in Miami!

SOTD and IOTW, restored brushes, Wed., Jan 29th, 2014

Another nice job by Nick to restore what was a beat-up, wooden-handled auction brush, with synthetic knot.
Brush markings are 'Rexall UDC' and ' Bristles Set in Rubber Guaranteed 993'; my guess is 1930-40's vintage.
Prep with shower and Musgo Glyce face scrub.
C&S O&C travel soap puck (made in Italy) in the Colonel's mug (sorry, no fancy C&S dish!)
Two easy passes using the Kai shavette holding a Kai Mild blade.
Cool washcloth rinse and spritz of T&H Spanish Leather.
Excellent, tallow-cushioned shave and nice scents.
Thanks for viewing.

View attachment 408027

View attachment 407838View attachment 407837

That's a beauty, AJ-- nice work!

and here is a Rubberset M100 restored by Nick with a new badger knot.
Shave from Monday, Jan 27th; photo from the prior afternoon along Biscayne Bay.
nice winter day in south Florida.

View attachment 407871

Gorgeous Rubberset, sarimento1! I particularly like the shape of the barber handle, and that shade of blue over ivory is just downright classy.

SOTD and IOTW, restored brushes, Wed., Jan 29th, 2014

Another nice job by Nick to restore what was a beat-up, wooden-handled auction brush, with synthetic knot.
Brush markings are 'Rexall UDC' and ' Bristles Set in Rubber Guaranteed 993'; my guess is 1930-40's vintage.
Prep with shower and Musgo Glyce face scrub.
C&S O&C travel soap puck (made in Italy) in the Colonel's mug (sorry, no fancy C&S dish!)
Two easy passes using the Kai shavette holding a Kai Mild blade.
Cool washcloth rinse and spritz of T&H Spanish Leather.
Excellent, tallow-cushioned shave and nice scents.
Thanks for viewing.

View attachment 408027

Nick does great work-- that's a great looking restoration of a classic.

This morning I went with my restored Rubberset 400, one of my early restorations and among my favorites:

Before:

$Rubberset 400 Before.JPG

After:

$Rubberset After B.jpg

The knot is a 24mm TGN High Mountain White Badger set at approximately 53mm loft.

You gotta love the Rubberset 400! I've wanted to get one, but they've become so expensive. Yours looks great Jim.

The mirroring of the cone shape between the handle and the bristles on this is really cool. :thumbup1: I did something similar with an old Opal 5 that also has a sort of cone shape. I used a TGN Finest Fan and it looked nice, but the old Bakelite began disintegrating once the brush started seeing regular use so I pulled the knot.

This morning's shave featured a Klenzo B-1019 I restored late last year. Here are before and after shots:

$Klenzo Before.jpg $Klenzo Pre-Bloom B.jpg

To replace the old boar knot I opted for a 24mm TGN Super 2-Band Finest Badger that I set at 46mm loft. A bit more information on the restoration can be found here in the Brush Making and Restorations subforum.

Guys, I'll be traveling to Yellowstone and the Tetons to get some relief from the summer-like weather down here!
Internet service will be pretty spotty, shaves may be few and I hope to be busy chasing light, landscape or creatures with the camera!
Nevertheless, this is the shave kit including some assorted rose soaps. Have a great weekend and start of February!

$yellowstone shave kit.jpg

Top Bottom