What's new

Itching for a new stone

I wonder how one oil soaks a porous stone.

K1 is cheap, I could keep adding oil to the surface until it takes no more. K1 (kerosene) may evaporate. I have food grade mineral oil, it is a bit pricey. Transmission fliud is inexpensive and on hand.

Perhaps transmission fluid is the better choice here???

I heated my large rough thirsty stone under a lamp, and then let some petroleum jelly soak into the stone (3 times). Another thread suggested that for thirsty stones, so oil will stay on top of the stone.

I think I have talked myself into a fine pocket stone (I already have rough ones).
I am thinking of the pocket Norton India stones, but am also thinking about ceramic stones. I am likely to cheap out and go with the Norton.

Does anyone wish to report on the use of these stones (pocket ceramic, or pocket India)?
Jody

I did get a Norton, fine pocket India stone. I am glad to have it, it cuts fast. It worked well on my small pocket knife.

I wish I did not STILL want another stone.

I used to think geologists were weird for being interested in rock, yet here I am.

Happy Easter everyone.

I liked the fine Norton pocket India stone so much, that I bought a bench combo from Norton.

How does one oil these things?

I thought there had to be oil on surface, but the oil just runs right through the stone and onto the table.

Thank you.

Top Bottom