What's new

It Was Time

My Jungemeister started to tug and after 60-70 shaves I touched it up on a Nani 12k followed by 50 laps on the strop and it was butter a smooth shave!

the only gripe I have is with the stone. I bought the 10mm one and it constantly moves around dimensionally. I’ll keep it for honing chisels and such but I think I’m gonna get the 20mm one. Then maybe epoxy that to a piece of hard acrylic. Thoughts?

One of the perils of soft resin binders, I reckon.
I have 20mm versions of SS (5k, 8k, 12k) and they all swell with 8k being particularly bad.
Lapping after a soak will result in 1mm dip at the center when it's bone dry.

If swelling is concern, I think it's better to get a stone with more stable binders than getting a thicker version.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Of course you COULD spring for a $10-$20 piece of acrylic and some different grit sheets of lapping film. The acrylic won't warp, won't swell, won't shrink, can't break, and will always be flat and true forever since the razor never touches it. The down side is since there is less drama, there is less to post about.

Legion

Staff member
the stone warps. It’s not dimensionally stable. Lapping it flat lasts about ten minutes and then it starts to twist and torque itself out of level.
That's annoying. Yeah, bind it to something stable. I'd use a section of bathroom tile.

I also went for the 10mm and would do things differently. I remember watching a YouTube video of this (very ranty) dude saying to soak it for 5 minutes to get it to straighten out. Unsure how valid of a concept that is, haven't tried it myself. Did find it interesting though considering the stone is a splash n go.

Top Bottom