What's new

It was $10 shipped. What on earth did I just buy??

Received today. Took a little while to clean up but it did. An earlier poster said it could be stripped to the brass. It pretty much was. One slightly bent comb but it was pretty easy to straighten. No cracks at all on the tube so after it was cleaned and dried I decided to use it today. HOWEVER, one minor problem, the threads from the cap wont bite into the threads in the handle, they appear striped enough that's where the problem lies, I think, not the handle. The hollow handle was stuffed with what looked like old bits of cotton with I cleaned out. I was puzzled by that. In any event, the razor is unusable, I think, unless I replace the top cap. In the first photo, the cap's screw looks slightly coned. I'll email Back Roads Gold and see what he thinks. I'd like to repair it but I don't think I'd replate it. It looks cool as is. I would think the only realistic fix would be to find a decent top cap. Dang. But it was $10 shipped, so... The handle alone is worth that, not to mention the case, blade bank and plate.

So I asked the seller if he knew the razor wouldn't screw together (he sells mostly dishes and that sort of thing). I said if he did, I thought he should have disclosed it but it was not big deal and I didn't want a refund or to return the razor and wouldn't leave him a bad review, I was simply curious. He immediately responded, apologized, and told me to keep it and issued a refund even though I'd requested neither. Class act. :thumbsup:

I heard back from Back Roads Gold and he explained when the threads starting getting stripped, people would stuff cotton string in the handle (in this case, it was bits of cotton) and, in time, the threads on the cap would cone, just like the ones on this razor. Oh well. He's got parts and all but I'm not sure this is a candidate for restoration vs. display.

Guess no one's still reading this thread but I'll post just so I remember what's going on. I'm going to send Back Roads Gold the whole razor and have him fit a new cap and give it a once over. I've decided to keep it brassed vs. plated because of the old metal box and blade case. It'll go off to him this week with my fingers crossed he will be able to make it 100% functional but look like it's 100 years old (which it is, give or take).

So the top cap and bottom plate of the Old Type screw into the handles of my three Techs and EJ DE 89 and the top cap and bottom plates of those razors screw into the handle of the Old Type. All we need is a period correct top plate for the Old Type (Thin) and Bob's your uncle! Hope Chris at BRG gets me sorted!! It also looks like the set may be original to the case according to Chris as the bottom of the case is unmarked. I know almost nothing about these early Gillettes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@CCS , Sounds like you had $10 worth of fun with that razor already friend.

Too bad it was stripped, but I can't wait to see what Chris comes up with.

The fact that the handle was intact is amazing to me. Looks like you done good my friend!

Dave

Reactions: CCS
A damn fine razor. I'd clean it with a little dawn dish soap and a very soft toothbrush or a terry cloth towel, dry it, then thoroughly coat each piece in ketchup and let it sit for about 30 mins, then repeat the first step of washing with dawn dish soap. Lastly, I'd oil it up with some mineral oil and take it for a spin! Congrats on a nice find!

So I decided to give it spin using the handle from my war era Tech. Put in a new Personna Labs blade and noticed I saw waaaay more blade than I'm used to seeing. No worries, right? I'm a professional.

Lathered up some Speick cream and did a good lathering. Lather was perfect. Here I go - first stroke down WTG, I felt the blade (more than I can ever recall feeling a blade). Hmmm, not too bad. Keep going through the first pass and it's nowhere near what I feared. Lathered for the XTG pass. Uh oh, that felt different. Checked the blade, checked my lather. There's a LOT of blade exposed. Finished it without much issue. Then, let's go for the ATG pass. Now, THAT was stupid. I got myself pretty good with a couple weepers under my nose but I could feel that I had certainly taken off a layer of skin, maybe two. Didn't look bad but when the alum rinse kills you, you know you crossed a line. Alum took care of the weepers and a few cold water rinses made my face feel better.

Followed with Proraso Green balm and then splash, ahhhhh. Incredibly close shave, incredibly. But I think I'll be sending the razor to Chris to get a working top cap and match it to the finish (brassed) and call it a display piece unless, when I have enough time on the books, I put it up for sale. One thing I won't do is ever shave with it again. My mild razors have made me a Nancy boy when it comes to these early open comb razors.

The blade was even, the Tech handle fit snugly to the Old Type cap and plate so the only thing it's likely to be is, I'm not grown up enough for a vintage Gillette Old Type! ;) At least I can cross it off the bucket list; I haved with a hundred year old razor. The oldest razor I've ever owned and used previously is that war era Tech and that's a mild razor. I've played with the adjustments on the 195 and Slim and seem to never go above 5. I think the Old Type with a modern style blade goes to 11. Maybe more. :)

@CCS , Sounds like you had $10 worth of fun with that razor already friend.

Too bad it was stripped, but I can't wait to see what Chris comes up with.

The fact that the handle was intact is amazing to me. Looks like you done good my friend!

Dave
The thing is, because the cap screw was stripped the seller insisted I keep the razor and refunded the $10! I feel guilty about it but it was his call. Regardless, I have learned a bunch about the old razors and that has indeed been fun!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The thing is, because the cap screw was stripped the seller insisted I keep the razor and refunded the $10! I feel guilty about it but it was his call. Regardless, I have learned a bunch about the old razors and that has indeed been fun!
He was/is a stand up seller it seems to me.

When you get it back you will be impressed by the "efficiency" of the old type. I prefer the New Type, but that is only because I'm lazy; if you respect the Old it WILL give the better shave in my proud opinion.

Interesting piece of info. On the very bottom of the handle, above the ball, is what appears to be the pat # written as Nov.15.04. Anyone got a clue? I know Nov. 15, 1904 was a patent date for Gillette but I didn't think these Old Types with the ball handles were marked anywhere but the bottom of the bottom plate!?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Huh, my pocket doesn't have any inscription of the patent date, but what I think is an old type single ring does

Huh, my pocket doesn't have any inscription of the patent date, but what I think is an old type single ring does
Right? You can see the actually see 04 on the very left side of the bottom collar above the ring in the listing photo below. I have the handle completely clean now and it's quite clear. Old Type, ball end handle Nov.15.04 right around the circumference of the lower smooth god ring on the handle. Chris Spencer had said it could be a mismatch with re: to the case unless the backside had no markings, which it does not. Even though the thing tried to kill me today. I want to get it working and looking right, not like a brand new Old Type razor. I can no longer tell if there's any plating on the handle, cap (definitely thin cap) or plate but it is pretty clean and shiny compared to those original photos. Even the blade case cleaned up well although it remains splotchy but gold splotchy. Curious razor.

proxy.php

Last edited:
He was/is a stand up seller it seems to me.

When you get it back you will be impressed by the "efficiency" of the old type. I prefer the New Type, but that is only because I'm lazy; if you respect the Old it WILL give the better shave in my proud opinion.
Oh, it gave me a helluva shave. Tried to kill me but still... I've heard of people shimming these as modern blades fit it differently than the originals. And yes, the seller is definitely a stand-up guy.

@CCS

Looks like you've got the case of an A.B.C. Pocket Edition (503B), but that razor is not a match for the case.

Nice score!

Check this link for some more deets.

View attachment 1517885
Still not the right case, similar but not the same one. However, I'm pretty sure now it's a mismatched set (which is fine). Ironically, the best piece of it is the handle! I examined it with a loupe and its integrity is 100%. But the link is great! Thank you. The blade safe and razor appear to match the 1918 #510. But the case is completely wrong. One has to wonder if it's a mismatched set or the case is just one that's not known or easily researchable. I note many cases have writing on the backside where mine is smooth and unmarked with any writing.

Last edited:
Still not the right case, similar but not the same one. However, I'm pretty sure now it's a mismatched set (which is fine). Ironically, the best piece of it is the handle! I examined it with a loupe and its integrity is 100%. But the link is great! Thank you. The blade safe and razor appear to match the 1918 #510. But the case is completely wrong. One has to wonder if it's a mismatched set or the case is just one that's not known or easily researchable. I note many cases have writing on the backside where mine is smooth and unmarked with any writing.
Yeah, on second look, you're absolutely right, this is NOT the flower. Also the lining is red, which appears to be unique as well. Interesting find, nevermind the price. Congrats again!

Top Bottom