What's new

It was $10 shipped. What on earth did I just buy??

So does this look like a dishsoap and toothbrush clean up? I don't have an ultrasound and don't use chemicals like vinegar on plated metals. My thought was to soak it in hot sudsy water to loosen things up and then work with the toothbrush and more dish soap to get the verdigris and soap scum off the plate and teeth and then see what I can do with the handle and top plate. For anyone who might have done this with a grungy open comb, this seem like the right approach?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Somewhere there's a method using baking soda & aluminum foil on old silver plated razors .. but you have the right idea to start small ..

I am becoming convinced, based on some online research, that it is an Old Time Pocket and from within the 20's. Whether a mismatch or completely correct has little interest.
Looks like an Old Type but I cannot place that case as most Pocket Editions have a basket weave case.
The Old Type razors are great for a daily shave and that one should clean up nicely with soap and a tooth brush. Good purchase for $10 and handy for the Dopp bag.

Looks like an Old Type but I cannot place that case as most Pocket Editions have a basket weave case.
The Old Type razors are great for a daily shave and that one should clean up nicely with soap and a tooth brush. Good purchase for $10 and handy for the Dopp bag.
Thanks. Should get here next week sometime and I have hopes I'll enjoy shaving with it once cleaned up. I haven't seen that specific case either but this isn't a purchase where the serial numbers need to match. ;)

Looked to me like it was either gold plated or gone to brass.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think there is room in this hobby for people who love and use Vintage razors.... and those who love the modern razors. I don't see the need to disparage either group. I have one modern AC razor and three Vintage razors were just delivered today, though I won't see them until we return to the States the last week in September. Chris from Back Roads Gold did send me photos... and they look brilliant. Both of the British Flat Bottom Techs were already in pretty decent condition but I wanted them replated anyway. The other razor had already been replated by Chris: a British NEW Raised Flat Bottom replated in the original silver.

Live and let live... not a bad attitude to have, imo. I might add a modern higher end modern razor next year. The jury is still out on that one. I really enjoy the AC razor format, so we'll see how I take to DE shaving over the next few months with the two models of DE Vintage razors.

Looked to me like it was either gold plated or gone to brass.
Very hard to tell from those photos which are low resolution. Looks like most of the plating has gone and it is mostly in brass finish. The verdigris is only showing in the comb so regular cleaning may have removed the gold plating. Good thing is the teeth have not been knocked.

Very hard to tell from those photos which are low resolution. Looks like most of the plating has gone and it is mostly in brass finish. The verdigris is only showing in the comb so regular cleaning may have removed the gold plating. Good thing is the teeth have not been knocked.
The one thing that made me wonder about the color, is you see the same soap scum and green on the knurled parts of the handle. I also think I might see one tooth one in from one of the corners that looks like it might be a little askew. Or it could be the duly noted poor photos. If it's down to brass and I like it, I'll probably send it out for replating. If it's gold plate and still mostly there, I'm good.

I know everyone here says it but I'm really here for the product and not the hardware. That said, I bought three razors in the month I've been here. One I had been meaning to get (the Slim to go with my 195). The other two were (are?) pointless. I was looking for some vintage Old Spice on ebay and while I did find some, I also found the Travel Tech kit in NOS for $14 shipped. It's now sitting on a bookshelf in my library along with lots of other, what I call, objects d' art and my wife calls "my crap". ;) This open comb was worth buy just because it was $10 and complete with a blade bank and brass case. I truly have no room for more razors but after 50+ years of shaving, if this old type works out, it'll be worth the $10 just shave with one once in my life. If not, I think I'm close to the sales forum requirements to post there.

Mostly what I've wanted to do was catch up on what soaps, creams, blades, etc. people were into these days. I had also tossed some things that had gotten old and wanted to try some new stuff (talking soap and cream here).

So does this look like a dishsoap and toothbrush clean up? I don't have an ultrasound and don't use chemicals like vinegar on plated metals. My thought was to soak it in hot sudsy water to loosen things up and then work with the toothbrush and more dish soap to get the verdigris and soap scum off the plate and teeth and then see what I can do with the handle and top plate. For anyone who might have done this with a grungy open comb, this seem like the right approach?
yes!

Accidents do happen.. esp. around here....Ooops... I just went from one to 23 brushes in a couple months. I don't really know what happened. <eg>
Well, even I have more control than that! After bringing the cheapie Omega boar brush (10065) from the other house here, I was reminded that I actually like boar brushes, especially for hard soaps. I was placing an order with Proraso USA for some cream and aftershave stuff with a 15% off welcome coupon. Then I saw that for just a few dollars more, I could get free shipping. So I added their Pro brush because it was bigger than the 10065! It was also only a few cents over $16 and I didn't have to pay for shipping or sales tax so it was almost like getting it for free!

That doesn't explain the Trafalgar T2, the Semogue SOC Taj, or the Connaught Jade Omega. Um, those were the accidents...

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, even I have more control than that! After bringing the cheapie Omega boar brush (10065) from the other house here, I was reminded that I actually like boar brushes, especially for hard soaps. I was placing an order with Proraso USA for some cream and aftershave stuff with a 15% off welcome coupon. Then I saw that for just a few dollars more, I could get free shipping. So I added their Pro brush because it was bigger! It was also only a few cents over $16 and I didn't have to pay for shipping or sales tax so it was almost like getting it for free!

That doesn't explain the Trafalgar T2, the Semogue SOC Taj, or the Connaught Jade Omega. Um, those were the accidents...
I actually planned my brush buying frenzy. I found two synth brushes I liked as much as my ESC Ultimate G4.

Then I decided to add some natural bristle brushes. I only made one mistake because I hadn't found people I could trust yet to guide me. I bought one mixed brush with a cheap handle. That thing was a like a porcupine. I just threw it away because it was annoying me.

Then I bought 8 boars right away... I probably should have avoided the SOC boars only because there are much better ones out there for the price... I added one more unbleached boar from YourShaving with a Zenith 506 handle, one of my favorite handles, period.

Then a few Manchurian badgers... excellent, every one.

My brush collection is complete unless something special comes up.... like one of the Limited Edition Semogue group buys that happen every so often. It didn't really feel like a rabbit hole to me. I had intended on having some variety in brushes.

I don't feel that need with razors or soaps, for some reason. I've only purchased three razors and had a RR Lupo Aluminum given to me by our youngest son. That started this whole wet shaving thing for me.

Soaps? I rotate three soaps and have another one I'm going to be introducing into the rotation when I get home. Another scentless soap.

Reactions: CCS
Top Bottom