What's new

It was $10 shipped. What on earth did I just buy??

Here is the right case posted on this very site!
Gillette Type B Flower case

proxy.php

From @Buick48:

"The Type ‘B’ Flower Pattern Case

The later, Gillette produced Type ‘B’ Flower Pattern Case was redesigned with a border of roses, while the earlier Type ‘A’ case has a border of lilies. Because Gillette consumed the remaining case inventory produced by the American Button Company in the later sets of their manufacture, it is not known exactly when the Type B case began use by them.

From roughly 1917 (I assume the time of the ABC fire) Gillette used many leftover ABC components, and mixed them with their own. I do not know if this would qualify as a frankenrazor, as it was done by Gillette -- also, a point of curiosity to me is if complete and proper A.B.C. sets, that were put together by Gillette would be classified as "proper" A.B.C. sets.....

Cheers,
Kevin"

Yeah, on second look, you're absolutely right, this is NOT the flower. Also the lining is red, which appears to be unique as well. Interesting find, nevermind the price. Congrats again!
See my next post - mystery solved! The lining is purple. The original listing photo wasn't lit correctly.

Last edited:
Here is the right case posted on this very site!
Gillette Type B Flower case

proxy.php

From @Buick48:

"The Type ‘B’ Flower Pattern Case

The later, Gillette produced Type ‘B’ Flower Pattern Case was redesigned with a border of roses, while the earlier Type ‘A’ case has a border of lilies. Because Gillette consumed the remaining case inventory produced by the American Button Company in the later sets of their manufacture, it is not known exactly when the Type B case began use by them.

From roughly 1917 (I assume the time of the ABC fire) Gillette used many leftover ABC components, and mixed them with their own. I do not know if this would qualify as a frankenrazor, as it was done by Gillette -- also, a point of curiosity to me is if complete and proper A.B.C. sets, that were put together by Gillette would be classified as "proper" A.B.C. sets.....

Cheers,
Kevin"

See my next post - mystery solved! The lining is purple. The original listing photo wasn't lit correctly.

Excellent detective work! So, this might not be a mismatch after all?

Excellent detective work! So, this might not be a mismatch after all?
I don't think it is BUT, at the age the handle, case and top cap likely are, the bottom plate should have a serial number. Maybe. But I was also able to fix the non working latch on the case so I got that going for me. ;)

And the razor is off to Back Roads Gold for the repair and replate. I decided to do that rather than keep it in the higher maintenance all brass state. As the case and blade box show their age, it won't be a great set match, but if the razor doesn't kill me first, I want to learn to use it so clean and shiny is better.

Update!

We decided to not replate as Chris discovered a small crack that I missed down at the bottom collar. He also mentioned micro-abrasions and didn't feel like the handle would come out as well as we might have hoped. As I bought a Gillette "The New" from him while this razor was there, Chris did the following at no additional charge but just adjusted the price of the new razor to include this. He replaced the top cap with a thin and thick and polished them clean along with the bottom plate but didn't want to screw with the handle for fear of removing the pat. numbers on the lower collar of the handle. So it came back today with Chris' explanation as to the above. Remember, at this point, the razor is 100% brass, no remaining plating at all.

I used a slurry of Bar Keeper's friend and a nylon brush to finish cleaning the handle and then used Meguiar's headlight polish and microfiber cloth to shine up the handle as best I could. You can see the original photos in the first post and here is the completed, all brass Old Type as of today. Hopefully, it will all tarnish on its own and start getting an attractive patina back, unlike what it looked like when I got it.

fullsizeoutput_44d2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_44d4.jpeg

Update!

We decided to not replate as Chris discovered a small crack that I missed down at the bottom collar. He also mentioned micro-abrasions and didn't feel like the handle would come out as well as we might have hoped. As I bought a Gillette "The New" from him while this razor was there, Chris did the following at no additional charge but just adjusted the price of the new razor to include this. He replaced the top cap with a thin and thick and polished them clean along with the bottom plate but didn't want to screw with the handle for fear of removing the pat. numbers on the lower collar of the handle. So it came back today with Chris' explanation as to the above. Remember, at this point, the razor is 100% brass, no remaining plating at all.

I used a slurry of Bar Keeper's friend and a nylon brush to finish cleaning the handle and then used Meguiar's headlight polish and microfiber cloth to shine up the handle as best I could. You can see the original photos in the first post and here is the completed, all brass Old Type as of today. Hopefully, it will all tarnish on its own and start getting an attractive patina back, unlike what it looked like when I got it.

View attachment 1522606

View attachment 1522607
Very nice! You can use Meguiar's spray way followed by a soft cloth polish to keep it shiny.😉

Very nice! You can use Meguiar's spray way followed by a soft cloth polish to keep it shiny.😉
Well, I discovered one thing as I just now shaved with it. I normally dry my razors on my bath towel after cleaning them at the sink. As polished off as I thought I had this, it left black marks on the towel. D'oh! Great shaver though, Far more aggressive than I'm used to but got a, with extra care, BBS shave. However, I think I might have to let it live in its Pocket case with the blade bank or keep a special microfiber cloth in the bathroom just to dry this razor.

So I sent an email to Chris asking if he'd replate the handle as is, no further polishing.

Last edited:
Well, I discovered one thing as I just now shaved with it. I normally dry my razors on my bath towel after cleaning them at the sink. As polished off as I thought I had this, it left black marks on the towel. D'oh! Great shaver though, Far more aggressive than I'm used to but got a, with extra care, BBS shave. However, I think I might have to let it live in its Pocket case with the blade bank or keep a special microfiber cloth in the bathroom just to dry this razor.

So I sent an email to Chris asking if he'd replate the handle as is, no further polishing.
Yeah, not uncommon. I learned to finish my polishing with a clean "old" toothbrush and dish soap under running water. Without a suds finish, you'll have polish residue for quiet some time.🙂

Chris wrote back to say he could do a soft polish on the handle with a brass bristle brush and preserve the patent numbers so I'm going to send it back to him, hopefully tomorrow to plate the whole thing (including the two top caps he gave me, one thin (correct) and one thick (also correct depending on when it was made but it came with a thin capped that had a stripped screw).

Oh geez, something just occurred to me. This razor is turning shaving into a hobby, dammit! I don't want that. Hopefully, once this comes back, it'll just go into the rotation and I can focus on process instead.

OMG, I bought a New LC in a crappy case for $20. I wonder what this one will really cost me??? Sigh...

Back on the 5th, I said I'd never shave with it again as the razor tried to kill me but one thing I forgot to mention (I think) is Chris pointed out the original top cap was pretty nicked up on the edges and he hoped I hadn't tried to shave with it. Oops. Yesterday's shave, as mentioned earlier, was much improved though still more aggressive than I'm used to but no nicks or weepers. More aggressive than a Tech or not, it still was an excellent BBS shave. I can only imagine how much better it will be when it's freshly gold plated... ;)

And my wife finds all this razor talk boring. Sheesh.

OMG, I bought a New LC in a crappy case for $20. I wonder what this one will really cost me??? Sigh...
Not much. Only $85 after Chris gets done with it...😁

Seriously, in a few cases, I do feel the service to be worth it. I've had him do a Bulldog on which I had the split handle welded up, a Barbasol floating head that I truly do enjoy more now that it doesn't look so rough, my Gillette Big Fellow and my '34 Aristocrat.

I have a few other candidates and they have inspired me to sell off all the goodies I rarely use.😉

Not much. Only $85 after Chris gets done with it...😁

Seriously, in a few cases, I do feel the service to be worth it. I've had him do a Bulldog on which I had the split handle welded up, a Barbasol floating head that I truly do enjoy more now that it doesn't look so rough, my Gillette Big Fellow and my '34 Aristocrat.

I have a few other candidates and they have inspired me to sell off all the goodies I rarely use.😉
Yeah, it's only $ and shaving fun is more important!

So I sent the Old Type, that was the subject of this thread, to Back Roads Gold get a couple top caps that I asked to be plain brass like the rest of the razor was but it was a nuisance to keep it polished so it went back to Chris for a replate. The spare top cap you see is a thick one and the thin is on the razor. Here are the results:

fullsizeoutput_44d8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_44d9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_44da.jpeg

Just WOW! at Chris Spencer's work!

Top Bottom