What's new

It was $10 shipped. What on earth did I just buy??

Scanning Etsy and came across this open comb Gillette. Teeth are crudded up but look straight. Seems like a possible revamp and gold plate candidate? I have never, ever used an open comb razor. Can anyone ID this model? Seems like I just saw a photo of something similar where it was mentioned the handle had a powder coat and it was fragile.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice "Old Type" Pocket Edition I believe - should work fine as is -

No powder coat on these as far as I know. That was one of the slants I think
Thanks. I couldn't tell from the photos, nor did I ask the seller about a crack in the handle. I didn't see one but it doesn't mean it isn't there. I will clean it when it arrives, test it, and see if it lives out its life with me as is or I get it replated.

It looks like some kind of a Gillette Old Type with a ball handle. (I presume it was made in USA, not in England.) My Old Types don't have ball handles, though I understand some later variants were made with that configuration.

It is worth restoring if there are no cracks in the handle, no bent teeth, AND it's a good shaver. The last point is important, because you don't want to spend serious money on a replate job, without first determining how good of a shaver it is.

I can't tell for certain if it's a thin cap or a thick cap model. If a thick cap it dates from the 1920's; if it's a thin cap model it dates from the teens or earlier. The ball handle suggests a 1920's date is likely.

There's also a possibility that it's mismatched. Stuff happens during 100 years and multiple ownerships. If only old razors could talk. The tales they might share!

What info does the seller claim for this razor? Keep in mind the seller may know less than you do. The ball handle and the three-piece design suggests to me it is an economy model. The gold case suggests it's a high-end model. Interesting find.

The seller didn't claim much and he sells misc. stuff. The listing said this:

"Up for sale is an old Gillette Razor and case. This is used and in need of a good cleaning. Ir is in poor condition but once cleaned up should make a good addition to your vintage collection."

Anyway, I want to clean it and try it and then decide. I wondered if it was an odds and ends thing but the case and blade case intrigued me.

Don't know if this link will point to the listing and details: (it does for now)

It is a USA made razor. You can see it in a photo. If it's that old, I wonder if there's a serial number on it. Didn't see one.

Thanks for the replies so far. I just got the bug to try a vintage open comb and for this, at $10 shipped? It was a no-brainer to give it a whirl and test my cleaning skills. I've cleaned many a razor but none as crudded up as this one. All I use is a toothbrush, nail brush, dishsoap, and a towel.

I also have used a Magic Cloth with success on a couple old razors for polishing. Seems to be 'ok' for light work, like the little NOS Travel Tech I just got in a leather case for $14 shipped. Never used, had the blade card and a sealed 2-blade box of Blues but looks like it sat in the leather (yes, leather!) case since the second quarter of 1962. Everything was grungy and a bit green. Cleaned up a little better than I thought it would.

It looks like some kind of a Gillette Old Type with a ball handle. (I presume it was made in USA, not in England.) My Old Types don't have ball handles, though I understand some later variants were made with that configuration.

It is worth restoring if there are no cracks in the handle, no bent teeth, AND it's a good shaver. The last point is important, because you don't want to spend serious money on a replate job, without first determining how good of a shaver it is.

I can't tell for certain if it's a thin cap or a thick cap model. If a thick cap it dates from the 1920's; if it's a thin cap model it dates from the teens or earlier. The ball handle suggests a 1920's date is likely.

There's also a possibility that it's mismatched. Stuff happens during 100 years and multiple ownerships. If only old razors could talk. The tales they might share!

What info does the seller claim for this razor? Keep in mind the seller may know less than you do. The ball handle and the three-piece design suggests to me it is an economy model. The gold case suggests it's a high-end model. Interesting find.
Here's a photo of the front if you can tell any more about the cap thickness:
proxy.php

In the teens and earlier, Gillette Old Type razors had serial numbers. In the 1920's the numbers were discontinued, but were maintained on the higher-end razors, such as the Gillette New Improved razor. (I have a 1921 Gillette New Improved razor with a serial number that confirms the 1921 date.)

You might want to peruse Mr. Razor's site and yes they usually but not always have a crack in the ball-end handle. The flowers on the case as opposed to basket weave design match a Canadian 1911 model
Similar to that case but not quite a match. Good find, however. The razor is a bit different from that set of photos as well. No question that at least the bottom plate is made in USA on the one I purchased.

I can't be certain, but it may be a Gillette Old Type with a thick cap from the 1920's, which was an inexpensive razor. If so, that would suggest a mismatch with the high-end gold case.
Interesting. I know these, like most Gillettes, were not high end razors and assumed this was one of the old types that were pretty bottom of the line. I was as much intrigued by the case and blade holder as anything else. Would LOVE to know the backstory on this one but I assumed the seller is a picker and found it at a thrift, antique store, or similar. You don't sell all this for $10 shipped unless you bought it for nothing. I'm also very curious to see how it cleans up as underneath the grunge, it looks pretty decent.

The seller didn't claim much and he sells misc. stuff. The listing said this:

"Up for sale is an old Gillette Razor and case. This is used and in need of a good cleaning. Ir is in poor condition but once cleaned up should make a good addition to your vintage collection."

Anyway, I want to clean it and try it and then decide. I wondered if it was an odds and ends thing but the case and blade case intrigued me.

Don't know if this link will point to the listing and details: (it does for now)
You got a good deal. I have several Ball End open comb Gillettes without cracks in the handles, but surface cracks are very common. I've read that some left the factory with surface cracks. My Ball End OCs shave well and I don't find them overly aggressive. I bought several years ago a replated 1910 Gillette single ring, but that's my only razor that's been replated. I clean vintage razors thoroughly, but I find a little tarnish or loss of plating a mark of their history. The 1910 replated Gillette does look really cool.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Congratulations! I guess the green copper oxide or cleaning it wasn't really something the seller digged or wanted to do himself. It's on the way to turn green like some equestrian bronze statues, but otherwise absolutely fine.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here's a photo of the front if you can tell any more about the cap thickness:
proxy.php
Very nice! - no need to replate that, just clean it and use it as it is. Right now it has wonderful character and interest to which you can add by using it, after a replate it will be just another shiny but dull razor and something will have been lost 🥱 Of course, if you prefer to get it replated then go for it 👍

I am becoming convinced, based on some online research, that it is an Old Time Pocket and from within the 20's. Whether a mismatch or completely correct has little interest. I just want to clean it up, make sure the teeth look good, it holds a blade securely (don't want to shim), and it shaves well. I think, one way or the other, it was worth the $10 shipped. :)

I always do this

The issue of buying so many things just because it's inexpensive is that in the end instead of having a really damn good $ 200 razor you have 20 ugly old razors of US$ 10 that mean nothing to you. And you can use 1 at a time.

I always do this

The issue of buying so many things just because it's inexpensive is that in the end instead of having a really damn good $ 200 razor you have 20 ugly old razors of US$ 10 that mean nothing to you. And you can use 1 at a time.
Simple difference, I bought this to see if I even wanted to shave with this style of razor. Why on earht would I want to spend $200 on a minty version of it? I have razors that I use daily that are probably as old or older than you that are clean, look good, perform wonderfully and the most I ever spent on any was $60. These are fine vintage Gillettes that came without a case but were in clean condition. My most expensive razor was a brand new Feather which, in my world, is as good as it gets and I paid $140 for it in 2017. I have zero interest in all the new razors that so many here lust after while looking down on vintage razors. And if I don't like this razor after cleaning it and trying it, I'll flip it for at least five times what I paid for it, probably more.

edw, we live in different worlds, bud. Perhaps, if you looked at the photos of my shaving gear, you'd feel differently about my method. I'm not a collector, I'm a user of, mostly old Gillettes.

Top Bottom