What's new

It took up many years to understand that...

Is Proraso tub cream very different from Proraso soap? I only have Proraso soap, green, so far.

YMMV, but for me, yes. I have Proraso Red soap (tub) and Proraso Green cream (tube), and without doubt the cream is a better performer in terms of lather, moisture, slickness, and protection. I have several different artisan soaps and an Arko stick, but the Green cream is tops on my list. My next Red will definitely be in the cream/tube.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I love the cream when i use it and forget about it when im using other stuff in the rotation. Although i did recently rediscover the cream tube as a huge time saver if im in a rush. Hard to beat the convenient squeeze and go. i dont think its the best in the world but on a sliding scale all things considered its pretty good.

I am currently using Williams soap to give you an idea. Yes, the difference between the various creams and Proraso was not enough to even bother with, unless you have nothing better to do. Simpsons Rose cost me around $30 for a small tin of it. Great cream but not much different than Proraso or TOBS.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I will try a tube of the Proraso green to go with my Williams. Not sure if I ever had the green in the tube but it was mentioned here. I always went to the red in the tube.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I had some C.O. Bigelow which is supposedly the same as the Green/original and some of the stuff in the white tube. I gave both to my brother in law. They worked good/great, but I just could not get past the bitter note in the scent of both.

I have a small travel size of the Red (sandalwood) canned foam. Were I ever to get it again it would be that one or one of the new "higher end" ones they now have such as the vetiver.

Simple is best. I have several soaps/creams that are common that I could live with if that is all I had, because they really are all I need.

I remember, about 12 years ago, on this very website, the base standard was Proraso and Musgo Real for creams. All other creams were compared to these two and especially Proraso.

In Japan, Proraso is not cheap. The only reliable source is Amazon Japan and it costs ¥2200 (about US $20).
However, Proraso is the only real shaving soap readily available in this country (when I order overseas, shipments take forever to get through customs here). That said, it is a very reliable soap. It is the Honda Accord of soaps. It is not a Lexus but it comfortable enough, and does a very good job. It is all you ready need to get around. You folks who can buy it cheaply in Europe or the Americans who can grab some at TJMaxx for less than $7 have it good. Enjoy your Proraso!

Though I'm not using blades and/or lather much these days I can confidently say proraso is hands down my favorite product (product line? Company? Whatever, you get it lol) and my best shaves have always been with it. I can't explain why but literally the only times my wife never got mad at me for spending more money on shaving stuff is when she could clearly see the word "Proraso" and these purchases are always met with an unusual, "oh, cool!" Haha. In addition, the only shaving related stuff she ever bought me was the Proraso Green tin with pre, cream, and balm.

I get comparable slickness from la toja or arko but they take more work to lather then proraso and for me are less consistent (not that either of those are really difficult to lather). The only other product I enjoyed as much as proraso is Soap Commander and they offer a great value in their huge tubs that last over a year of daily use but proraso is available locally and cheaper. I scoop up the $4 TJ Maxx tubes whenever I find them, I ALWAYS have a can of proraso foam around, and it just plain works.

Another excuse to share this awesome video:

I have yet to try their newest formulation, but Proraso is hard to beat, especially for the price here in Europe (500ml Proraso green under $10).

Personally it is only my #2 brand out of Italy, being edged out by SV (which also is good value for the money, the hard puck lasts forever). But Proraso Green will always be in my den, same goes for Cypress Vetyver. It's easy to use, smells great, performs well and as I mentioned, hard to knock on price. The Green Aftershave is the sole Splash in my den, I usually get the 400ml bottle for 15-19$.

I love Proraso Red and Green cream and always have them in rotation. If i count the number of days i shave with a proraso cream or soap in the year it will FAR outweigh any other brand by multiples.

However, i like my artisan soaps not because they may or may not give a better shave but because of the different scents. I absolutely love the amazing scents some of these artisan soap makers have created.

BUT just like you if i want to introduce a friend to the world of shaving away from canned gels, then i would start with proraso creams.

Although I hardly ever use Proraso anymore, ten years ago I used it practically every day of the week.

In my opinion, it‘s absolutely wonderful as long as one takes the time to dial it in with his own water. I tend to think that most problems with various soaps and creams all boil down to one thing: water, water, water (together with the whipping inherent in getting it into the product)...

I did find the old formula green balm (completely different bottle ten years ago) to be far superior to the new one, which is doubtless very good.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Nope. Personally I think the Proraso 'regular' line is meh... I've tried green, blu, and red. All of them were avg., not great, not terrible.

Proraso Single Blade line however is noteworthy. Much better performance, for me.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Is Proraso a soap puck? I will try it. What's the difference between the colors? Certainly appreciate your enthusiasm for the product. And thanks for any info you can supply.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
So...my take on Proraso. After surfing out to the link provided by shavefan, I decided to give the White a try as the scent sounded like something I would appreciate. The scent is true to the description, apple/lime, but it is extremely mild...which isn't a bad thing...just an observation. I put some hot water on top of the product beforehand, in retrospect this may not have been necessary, and let it sit for a bit. Then, I poured the water off into the shaving bowl and began loading the brush. The results were very good. Quality lather began to pour off the product while I was loading the brush. I only have one other soap that does this in the volume that Proraso did...WSP Blackbeard. With my brush fully loaded, I moved to the bowl and began whipping up some more lather. I may have had a little too much water in the bowl, but I decided to keep whipping it and I was rewarded for my efforts. I created more than enough thick, rich lather to get two to three passes. The protection it provided was very good...the residual slickness was good, although I've come across better, but still...it was more than sufficient to protect.

Overall, I was pleased with the product and got an excellent shave. My only wish would be that they kick the scent up a notch, but this would not prevent me from keeping a puck of Proraso in my collection and continuing to use it in my rotation.

Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom