What's new

It shouldn't happen, but I had the best shave. Could someone explain?

Tried the idea of lathering and massage method then relather and shave. Cold water splash before hand, but warm water lather (williams soap) seams to lather quicker. No preshave prep and seamed to work well. DFS. Will try this in the future seems to work well lot less time on prep, more time to enjoy the shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well, 4-5 shaves in, and I must say that for me, it currently works. I first do the normal warm water prep, then splash cold water and add the alcoholic Pitralon pre shave, and then lather. There's definitely more feedback due to whiskers being stiffer, but the shave is with far less irritation overall and much more efficient. Seems the problem with using only warm water prep for me is not for the whiskers per se, as much as it oversoftens my skin it seems. Will keep it up for a week or so, and if it works, I'll add it to my routine permanently.

Interesting. Do you think any alcohol based splash would be an adequate substitute?

Interesting. Do you think any alcohol based splash would be an adequate substitute?

To be honest, I think it should. Though the pre shave Pitralon does seem, for one, much much stronger (in terms of alcohol) than its counterpart AS, it seems like a bit more 'oily', though it really feels like putting on really strong AS. If you'd do a blind test and were asked if it's an AS or preshave, you'd say AS, as it's basically really high spirited water with a cedar smell. To the fingers, it's just a bit more oily than AS, but nothing substantial.

To sum it up, I think an AS splash would work the same way, and when I run out of preshave Pitralon, I'll try it with a splash, and then use balm at the end, to see if it has any benefits.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
To be honest, I think it should. Though the pre shave Pitralon does seem, for one, much much stronger (in terms of alcohol) than its counterpart AS, it seems like a bit more 'oily', though it really feels like putting on really strong AS. If you'd do a blind test and were asked if it's an AS or preshave, you'd say AS, as it's basically really high spirited water with a cedar smell. To the fingers, it's just a bit more oily than AS, but nothing substantial.

To sum it up, I think an AS splash would work the same way, and when I run out of preshave Pitralon, I'll try it with a splash, and then use balm at the end, to see if it has any benefits.

Thank you. I'll see if I find the actual Pitralon pre shave on the local shelves as I shop. I tried my aftershave as a pre shave and noticed nothing.

Well, 4-5 shaves in, and I must say that for me, it currently works. I first do the normal warm water prep, then splash cold water and add the alcoholic Pitralon pre shave, and then lather. There's definitely more feedback due to whiskers being stiffer, but the shave is with far less irritation overall and much more efficient. Seems the problem with using only warm water prep for me is not for the whiskers per se, as much as it oversoftens my skin it seems. Will keep it up for a week or so, and if it works, I'll add it to my routine permanently.
I like KW Driver's suggestion - why not just try a cold water shave and no electric pre-shave? You might be a cold water shaver and not know it yet.

Top Bottom