What's new

It seems everyday I hear about a DE razor I never heard of before.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I wish I had the time, knowledge and experience. I just found out about "the winning razor" last week and "Wolfman" today.

If you've never heard of Wolfman you've been missing from the forum A LOT.
p.s. Ah, I see you're new around here. That explains it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I first got here, I knew about RazoRock, Executive Shaving Co. /Alpha, Merkur and that might be it. It was a revelation to me...... I had no idea there were so many modern razors manufacturers. I knew about the vintage Gillettes, of course.

For the first couple days, it's a bit bewildering. I felt a bit lost but read the Claymore Evolution threads, the SOTD threads, the RazoRock threads.... eventually, you start learning the jargon, learn what is currently available for purchase and instead of being overwhelmed, you begin to find you're curious about a bunch of topics. Then you learn about the razors, brushes, soaps and creams, the list could easily go on.

It's been a blast.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
"Some things are better not to know," my wallet said.
There is that... I've done too badly since showing up here. I've expanded my soaps/creams but I had planned to do that anyway. Kept from making mistakes, so that's good.

I have purchased more brushes than I intended... not expensive ones, thankfully. Choosing synthetics keeps the prices more reasonable. I had an old badger brush (Super) but I gave it to the son who got me into TWShaving. So I was sort of starting with a clean slate, if you will. You don't know what you're missing until you do.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It doesn't matter. All you need to hear about is Wolfman razors. They're the greatest of all time. Once you try one, you'll know the difference.
Well, I am very content with my razor, i.e., the ESC Claymore Evolution but I have to say.... lots of people here just love their Wolfman razors but the ordering process scares the heck out of me. Not the waiting list... all the options. I see the discussions here... oh, I bought this one.... too wide of a gap for me.. oh... I ended up buying one with less of a gap than I like... etc. Some people have 3 or 4 Wolfmans for that reason.... or have sold off the models they purchased that weren't right for them.

To get a different feel from my razor, I just have to choose one of 6 blades. It seems easier.... and there are a few very good AC blade razors from which to choose.

There certainly has been a glut of new razor manufacturers appearing. Probably signals good news for the hobby if so many potential new entrants are seeing a business opportunity, but I can’t help wondering if this niche market is getting saturated and harder for new entrants to get a foothold.

There was Bluttrasur in Switzerland late last year, which caught a lot of attention and now has gone silent (presumably waiting to re-stock, although it has taken longer than expected). The upcoming Aylesworth Drakkant is also getting a lot of social media exposure. The Lambda Athena attracted some excitement too. I’m sure there are several others that appeared recently, as well as new models from established brands, like the Rex Konsul, Hone Type 15s, Karve Overlander, Blackland Era, etc. Then there is less recent stuff that has come into stock and attracted new buyers, like the Homelike Shaving razors (before the sanctions).

I guess they have to be exceptional, or very well-marketed to get noticed. Good times for savvy buyers willing to do the research, but the amount of choice must be bewildering if you are just coming to DE razors or haven’t been following the scene for a long period.

When I first joined B&B less than ten years ago the premium machined stainless steel razor market was just starting. There was Above The Tie or the Feather AS-D2. Everyone said the ATT was the thing to get, so I did, and stopped looking. I missed Wolfman/LASSC, Timeless, Blackland, Karve, Charcoal Goods, Rocnel, Carbon Shaving, Rockwell, Razorock, Alpha, Rex, etc. (and the been-and-gone ones like Paradigm, Raw Shaving, etc.) until I came back to the hobby a couple of years ago. Took a while to catch up again, but would be twice as hard now.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There certainly has been a glut of new razor manufacturers appearing. Probably signals good news for the hobby if so many potential new entrants are seeing a business opportunity, but I can’t help wondering if this niche market is getting saturated and harder for new entrants to get a foothold.

There was Bluttrasur in Switzerland late last year, which caught a lot of attention and now has gone silent (presumably waiting to re-stock, although it has taken longer than expected). The upcoming Aylesworth Drakkant is also getting a lot of social media exposure. The Lambda Athena attracted some excitement too. I’m sure there are several others that appeared recently, as well as new models from established brands, like the Rex Konsul, Hone Type 15s, Karve Overlander, Blackland Era, etc. Then there is less recent stuff that has come into stock and attracted new buyers, like the Homelike Shaving razors (before the sanctions).

I guess they have to be exceptional, or very well-marketed to get noticed. Good times for savvy buyers willing to do the research, but the amount of choice must be bewildering if you are just coming to DE razors or haven’t been following the scene for a long period.

When I first joined B&B less than ten years ago the premium machined stainless steel razor market was just starting. There was Above The Tie or the Feather AS-D2. Everyone said the ATT was the thing to get, so I did, and stopped looking. I missed Wolfman/LASSC, Timeless, Blackland, Karve, Charcoal Goods, Rocnel, Carbon Shaving, Rockwell, Razorock, Alpha, Rex, etc. (and the been-and-gone ones like Paradigm, Raw Shaving, etc.) until I came back to the hobby a couple of years ago. Took a while to catch up again, but would be twice as hard now.
As a newbie, it certainly was a bit overwhelming for my first weeks here... so many things about which I knew nothing. I seem to be settling in, though, both on B&B and in my shaving pursuits. I have some great soaps/creams based on recommendations here, yours included. I added a few brushes and a selection of razor blades to try. Got that extra razor ordered (it shows up today... two days early). I think I'm feeling pretty content at the moment... I had to say "I think"... because you never know. ;)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Phoenixkh , I think you’re ahead of the game if you like what you have and acknowledge that “better” is a forever-moving target best chased by what you already own.

You’re just a few blade trials/retrials away from being all set with the steel part, aren’t you?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh , I think you’re ahead of the game if you like what you have and acknowledge that “better” is a forever-moving target best chased by what you already own.

You’re just a few blade trials/retrials away from being all set with the steel part, aren’t you?
I just got them in the other day so I haven't actually started yet. I know I like the Feather ProGuards a bit better than their ProSoft Guard blades. I've heard such good things about the Schick P-30s, I'm going to try them next. Then the Kai Captains... and I'm done. I should have it sorted in a month of so. I should be able to tell right away with some blades. I did like the ProSofts initially. The shave wasn't quite as close overall, though still excellent, but the razor wasn't attacking my chin area with enough hmmmm vigor? So it took more work to get my problem areas shaved clean.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Chins tend to have thicker hairs and more of them. As though being rounded wasn’t troublesome enough.

Here’s hoping a clear favorite emerges or is reinforced and not a quest for the bestest 49-50mm blade!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Chins tend to have thicker hairs and more of them. As though being rounded wasn’t troublesome enough.

Here’s hoping a clear favorite emerges or is reinforced and not a quest for the bestest 49-50mm blade!
I already know, I'll keep the Feather ProGuards as one of the finalists.. at least, I think so. I'm getting such close shaves with them, no irritation.. only weepers if I lose concentration for a few seconds. The shave lasts up to 10 hours or so before I feel anything. So unless two of the challengers blow it out of the water, I'll likely keep a supply of them around.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
When I first got here, I knew about RazoRock, Executive Shaving Co. /Alpha, Merkur and that might be it. It was a revelation to me...... I had no idea there were so many modern razors manufacturers. I knew about the vintage Gillettes, of course.

For the first couple days, it's a bit bewildering. I felt a bit lost but read the Claymore Evolution threads, the SOTD threads, the RazoRock threads.... eventually, you start learning the jargon, learn what is currently available for purchase and instead of being overwhelmed, you begin to find you're curious about a bunch of topics. Then you learn about the razors, brushes, soaps and creams, the list could easily go on.

It's been a blast.

Roughly translated, you basically fall down the rabbit hole, and become one of us, one of us, one of us. 😝

I am also new! When I first started here, I thought I had complete control, I was not going to fall into the rabbit hole. Next thing I know, I am sprinting towards it, and cannonballing face first into it. :letterk1:

Truth is, I love this hobby, because infact, its really the journey isn't it? The razors you get to try out, all the shaving supplies, oh my gosh the endless shaving supplies, ever increasing.

But, in the end, you get to connect up and communicate with amazing people who are just like you, in the community at B&B. Some are new just like you! Some have been on here since the beginning, and are like veterans of the shaving world.

I, well, I am trying not to drain the bank account too much. But these shave soaps, these aftershaves, they are like my precious, I must have them! Ya, I think I have a problem. :001_rolle

😂

Top Bottom