What's new

It Really Doesn't Need to be That Complicated

Wish I would have read this thread ten years ago when I started. Great write up.
Hard to believe that I shaved with such a small amount of items compared to what I have now.
Dovo 5/8, cheap mug and the tin set from Proraso (had sythetic stones already as we use those for work).
I've been trying to get my brother into this and my advice was to just start doing; every shave will get better in time.

VERY well said. I was welcomed with open arms when I first joined after lurking for a week or so.

I hope, honestly, that I am not one of THOSE boomers that turn newbies off. Once in awhile I have been known to be self-righteous and go after folks I feel are rude. Sorry about that. But I'll probably do it again if I see some stuffed shirt puffing out his chest.

Wasn't too long ago a guy that used to be on here a lot quit coming around because he got blown up by a few of the 1% of the members that have a Napoleon complex. I PM'd him and he never replied.

Moral of the story: you know it alls don't.

I do, lol.

I honestly believe that anyone who joins is welcomed with open arms and is pleasantly helped along as needed 99% of the time.
The problem, as ackvil has said, is when they become experts in short order and preach to the new people emphatically what is required and how to get there when they clearly know very little on the subject. Its laughable.
Myself, when I see poor information spouted by anyone (usually the new expert) its our responsibility as a whole to make sure good information is put forth because poor information helps nobody.
Sure, we all have an opinion, even new guys, but when they persist and push on despite obvious lack of experience its infuriating. Some people just can't be taught. Thank goodness its rare and we are all better off when it stops - especially the new people who would use the poor information and take it as good.

Getting off topic here so, no, you really don't need much for this to be a great addition to a happy lifestyle, healthier skin and a fun hobby.
Self restraint will limit how far you go in each direction. Everything in moderation is the key:)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I honestly believe that anyone who joins is welcomed with open arms and is pleasantly helped along as needed 99% of the time.
The problem, as ackvil has said, is when they become experts in short order and preach to the new people emphatically what is required and how to get there when they clearly know very little on the subject. Its laughable.
Myself, when I see poor information spouted by anyone (usually the new expert) its our responsibility as a whole to make sure good information is put forth because poor information helps nobody.
Sure, we all have an opinion, even new guys, but when they persist and push on despite obvious lack of experience its infuriating. Some people just can't be taught. Thank goodness its rare and we are all better off when it stops - especially the new people who would use the poor information and take it as good.

Getting off topic here so, no, you really don't need much for this to be a great addition to a happy lifestyle, healthier skin and a fun hobby.
Self restraint will limit how far you go in each direction. Everything in moderation is the key:)
Self restraint and moderation. I'll take it under advisement.

Reactions: pmj
Self restraint and moderation. I'll take it under advisement.

I have been fortunate. There are only a couple stones that do not get used regularly.
Razors - I have about 25-30, still more than I need but do rotate every now and again.
I have 8 strops that will last the rest of my life.
I'm set and haven't purchased goods in a while. It would have to be something special to get me to buy anything these days.

I think its funny to see guys with hundreds of stones. They can't possibly be making use of them but they are happy and that's all that matters.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have been fortunate. There are only a couple stones that do not get used regularly.
Razors - I have about 25-30, still more than I need but do rotate every now and again.
I have 8 strops that will last the rest of my life.
I'm set and haven't purchased goods in a while. It would have to be something special to get me to buy anything these days.

I think its funny to see guys with hundreds of stones. They can't possibly be making use of them but they are happy and that's all that matters.
It'll keep their kids busy getting rid of the stuff when the time comes. The little parasites should have to do something for their inheritance, lol!

Wait till my son finds my old Avon decanters, the brat.

Having read your view point, I’m curious what is making you lurk here?

I may be the oldest newbie on this forum. Because I started DE shaving in the dark ages doesn't make me an expert. I've learned a lot here...use a brush instead of brushless shave cream, that a way to a good shave is multiple passes, that it's ok to own more than one razor, mapping your beard. I could go on and on. You youngsters have some good ideas about shaving. Hopefully I'm never too old to stop learning. Thanks for asking.

I may be the oldest newbie on this forum. Because I started DE shaving in the dark ages doesn't make me an expert. I've learned a lot here...use a brush instead of brushless shave cream, that a way to a good shave is multiple passes, that it's ok to own more than one razor, mapping your beard. I could go on and on. You youngsters have some good ideas about shaving. Hopefully I'm never too old to stop learning. Thanks for asking.
While not quite as old as you but not too far behind I started shaving long before cartridges were on the scene. Safety razors were basically the only game in town. Only barbers used real straights back then. I never was able to get as good a shave back then as I get now having learned so much here. I’ve been using straights for 6 years. I only get a DE out when in a hurry which isn’t often now since I retired. And the choice of brushes soaps etc now compared to then is mind boggling.
One is never too old to learn or to improve their skills!

This . . .

Really good stuff in this thread. I found number 1 to help me considerably; I kept a blade journal as I stepped through all my sample blades. For sheer fun alone, I love number 5!
What are the pros of using a shave journal?
I put all of my shaves into an app called "shaving buddy" but don't really add notes or anything like that.

How did you do it?

What are the pros of using a shave journal?
I put all of my shaves into an app called "shaving buddy" but don't really add notes or anything like that.

How did you do it?

I use a text document showing basic information, keeping track of gear and products used, and how many times I've used them.

SAFETY RAZOR DE WET SHAVES

18th: Thursday April 23rd, 2020
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89l Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (02) Soap: PDP No.63. Brush: Omega 10049 (07).
Shaving brush placed on stand to dry at 10:24AM

For me, what this forum encouraged was experimentation. Trying different products and techniques to see what works for me. I spent a lot of money, but had a lot of fun. I have more gear than I need right now, but I have a simple routine now and my shaves are great. There are a lot of options out there and trying them all can be somewhat daunting.

Every day I see many users join the forum and many are never heard from. Many times I see an introduction opening with "Long time lurker...". I sometimes worry that as much information is available and the fact that we, as a group, love to opine on the intricacies from A-Z it can be quite overwhelming for those of you that have come into this forum to glean a little information and assistance and all of a sudden you fall into the rabbit hole that is the forum. Trust me, I have and I am grateful. But, really, it doesn't need to be all that complicated.

All you need is a razor, a blade, and a soap/cream/butter/gel. I would encourage a brush but really one could go their entire life without and be fine.

There is also this;

A great link for a solid start.

So what did you wind up with? A Van der Hagen TTO from your local store? A $10 gillette tech off ebay? Merkur 34c, EJ89, maybe you spent a bit more but you have a de safety razor in your hands? Good to go.

Blades? Really. You are going to be ok. Get a sampler and really you are going to be able to successfully shave with all of them. One day you will find your happy blade. Until then, if it doesn't make your shave uncomfortable, it will do just fine.

Soaps/Creams/Gels/Butters Etc. It is all going to work. Happy with your Barbasol in a can? You will be fine. Using up the last of your gel? You will be ok too. Arko, Proraso or an artisan soap? You are going to need a brush, but really don't listen to all of us getting up on our high horses about slickness, scent and how nicely it leathers. YOU WILL BE FINE. Creams... Same as soaps.

Pre-shave? Honestly, save the oil from your sardines, rub some extra virgin olive oil, go with anything. Does it help. I think so. But is it necessary? No. Again, forum members (myself included) will fill your head with an endless amount of opinions. YOU WILL BE FINE WITH OR WITHOUT.

Brush. Similar to the dilemma of a razor, but again it is going to get the job done. Badger, boar, horse, synthetic or made from your gramma's favourite goats goatee. YOU WILL BE FINE. Some may be more comfortable on your face than others.

Consider stopping at TWO passes. Absolutely get an idea of how your bears grows.

So that is it. I can appreciate rabbit holes. I have fallen down a couple myself. Many will. I just hope that this forum isn't necessarily one of them if you are struggling to figure this all out. Really, YOU WILL BE FINE.
There are a few things here I agree with, e.g. using a pre shave oil but there a lot of things here I disagree with-especially the premise that no matter what you use you are going to be fine. Most of the reason people start wet shaving is not to have something fun to do on a Sunday morning, it is because using multi blade cartridges and caned shave cream left their face in a mess. Treating yourself properly with a nice brush and a high quality shave soap followed by a single blade razor of some sort results in much healthier skin and a much happier face. So on these things I don't think there is any compromise.

Every day I see many users join the forum and many are never heard from. Many times I see an introduction opening with "Long time lurker...". I sometimes worry that as much information is available and the fact that we, as a group, love to opine on the intricacies from A-Z it can be quite overwhelming for those of you that have come into this forum to glean a little information and assistance and all of a sudden you fall into the rabbit hole that is the forum. Trust me, I have and I am grateful. But, really, it doesn't need to be all that complicated.

All you need is a razor, a blade, and a soap/cream/butter/gel. I would encourage a brush but really one could go their entire life without and be fine.

There is also this;

A great link for a solid start.

So what did you wind up with? A Van der Hagen TTO from your local store? A $10 gillette tech off ebay? Merkur 34c, EJ89, maybe you spent a bit more but you have a de safety razor in your hands? Good to go.

Blades? Really. You are going to be ok. Get a sampler and really you are going to be able to successfully shave with all of them. One day you will find your happy blade. Until then, if it doesn't make your shave uncomfortable, it will do just fine.

Soaps/Creams/Gels/Butters Etc. It is all going to work. Happy with your Barbasol in a can? You will be fine. Using up the last of your gel? You will be ok too. Arko, Proraso or an artisan soap? You are going to need a brush, but really don't listen to all of us getting up on our high horses about slickness, scent and how nicely it leathers. YOU WILL BE FINE. Creams... Same as soaps.

Pre-shave? Honestly, save the oil from your sardines, rub some extra virgin olive oil, go with anything. Does it help. I think so. But is it necessary? No. Again, forum members (myself included) will fill your head with an endless amount of opinions. YOU WILL BE FINE WITH OR WITHOUT.

Brush. Similar to the dilemma of a razor, but again it is going to get the job done. Badger, boar, horse, synthetic or made from your gramma's favourite goats goatee. YOU WILL BE FINE. Some may be more comfortable on your face than others.

Consider stopping at TWO passes. Absolutely get an idea of how your bears grows.

So that is it. I can appreciate rabbit holes. I have fallen down a couple myself. Many will. I just hope that this forum isn't necessarily one of them if you are struggling to figure this all out. Really, YOU WILL BE FINE.
There are a few things here I agree with, e.g. using a pre shave oil but there a lot of things here I disagree with-especially the premise that no matter what you use you are going to be fine. Most of the reason people start wet shaving is not to have something fun to do on a Sunday morning, it is because using multi blade cartridges and caned shave cream left their face in a mess. Treating yourself properly with a nice brush and a high quality shave soap followed by a single edge razor of some sort results in much healthier skin and a much happier face. So on these things I don't think there is any compromise.
Yup. Did that for 20 years. Wilkinson Sword Classic double edged razor and blades, and a can of foam. Cheap, dependable, and I had a cleaner shave than my friends had.
Did you enjoy putting all that Benzine on your face for 20years?

Sorry, I just can't go along with this keep it simple and everything will be OK mentality. It is exactly that uncritical frame of mind that allowed Gillette to lead us to the five dollar Fusion cartridge.

I don't mean to be rude or single you out. I am just as guilty of not being a critical thinker when it came to shaving and being an enabler of evil King Gillette for many years.

I am a about a year in. Best decisions (ordered, but not by importance):
1. Map my beard;
2. Stick with the same set up (brush, razor, & soap);
3. Get a sampler of blades;
4. Keep a shave journal;
5. Listen to my face.
This is it.

The what 10 cent blade should I choose posters drive me almost as nuts as those who earnestly respond in the belief we should somehow choose by polling users we know nothing about.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I see the new shaver who has advice that has to be followed or else you are doing it wrong being singled out but I don't think the worse offenders are new shavers.

It's the older shavers who feel like they "know it all" that are the biggest offenders IMO.

I think most/many people are here because shaving is more enjoyable once you try "wet shaving". I wasn't tearing up my face with whatever I was using before. I just find wet shaving to make shaving less of a chore.

There are times when I have considered it more of a "hobby" and other times when it's just the way I shave. I don't collect razors. I do have a few more straights than I "need" and a few more soaps than necessary. I have one brush, one regular strop, one paddle strop and one DE.

On the other hand, I see no problem with those who do collect and who know every detail about the things they collect.

That's what makes this an interesting forum IMO.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
There are a few things here I agree with, e.g. using a pre shave oil but there a lot of things here I disagree with-especially the premise that no matter what you use you are going to be fine. Most of the reason people start wet shaving is not to have something fun to do on a Sunday morning, it is because using multi blade cartridges and caned shave cream left their face in a mess. Treating yourself properly with a nice brush and a high quality shave soap followed by a single blade razor of some sort results in much healthier skin and a much happier face. So on these things I don't think there is any compromise.
So one needs a high quality brush and soap AND is limited to a single edge razor in order to be successful? No compromise. Yet we can agree that my leftover sardine oil is a valid base for a preshave routine? Ummm... Guffaw.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Did you enjoy putting all that Benzine on your face for 20years?

Sorry, I just can't go along with this keep it simple and everything will be OK mentality. It is exactly that uncritical frame of mind that allowed Gillette to lead us to the five dollar Fusion cartridge.

I don't mean to be rude or single you out. I am just as guilty of not being a critical thinker when it came to shaving and being an enabler of evil King Gillette for many years.

I'm sorry but I do mean to single you out Tedolph. While I will definitely state that we can agree to disagree said shaver was fine with a Wilkinson Sword Classic, a pack of DE razors and some CANNED FOAM. Done. Happy with his shaving experience. No need to overcomplicate things.

While one may find it advantageous to chase down artisan soaps and whatever YOU may find to be the ideal SINGLE EDGE RAZOR, I am staying that one mileage may vary and that a completely satisfying shave can be found with a kit of minimal investment and that there is no need to be completely overwhelmed by all the opinions and advisements on our wonderful forum.

I do believe that there is a WEALTH of information to be found here. And anyone seeking knowledge on SE razors/artisan soaps/whatever else YOU find valid that I am very certain you have a lot of knowledge to offer. But does your experience invalidate a newcomers shaving experience with a Feather Popular and a can of Barbasol that just showed up here asking "how do I do this without slicing my face?" NO.

Precisely why I stated that it doesn't need to be that complicated.

Reactions: pmj
Top Bottom