What's new

It Really Doesn't Need to be That Complicated

So one needs a high quality brush and soap AND is limited to a single edge razor in order to be successful? No compromise. Yet we can agree that my leftover sardine oil is a valid base for a preshave routine? Ummm... Guffaw.
Any kind of food grade oil will work as a pre-shave oil, even olive oil.

I suggest that you look at the ingredient list for a typical pre-shave oil.

Also meant to say "single blade" not "single edge" razor.

Yep, we are fine. We all like to play, & we play with razors. Others play with cars, stamps, instruments, cigars, spirits, or something else. If I didn't get into this rabbit hole I would have found another & still needed to shave. So with or without, we are fine. But for me, this sure makes fine a whole lot better!!!!!

I'm sorry but I do mean to single you out Tedolph. While I will definitely state that we can agree to disagree said shaver was fine with a Wilkinson Sword Classic, a pack of DE razors and some CANNED FOAM. Done. Happy with his shaving experience. No need to overcomplicate things.

While one may find it advantageous to chase down artisan soaps and whatever YOU may find to be the ideal SINGLE EDGE RAZOR, I am staying that one mileage may vary and that a completely satisfying shave can be found with a kit of minimal investment and that there is no need to be completely overwhelmed by all the opinions and advisements on our wonderful forum.

I do believe that there is a WEALTH of information to be found here. And anyone seeking knowledge on SE razors/artisan soaps/whatever else YOU find valid that I am very certain you have a lot of knowledge to offer. But does your experience invalidate a newcomers shaving experience with a Feather Popular and a can of Barbasol that just showed up here asking "how do I do this without slicing my face?" NO.

Precisely why I stated that it doesn't need to be that complicated.
Well, you missed the thrust of what I was saying. In your defense, I wasn't very clear. I don't use artisan soaps or expensive razors, brushes, etc. My go to soap is VDH Deluxe which I get at Wallgreen's for $2.99 per puck. My razors are a moded Gold Dollar 208, a twenty dollar One Blade Core and a vintage Vallet Auto Strop. I use feather blades in those. My favorite boar bristle brush cost $18.00. The most I have ever spent for a bottle of aftershave was $12.00 on sale. I don't think any of that stuff is exclusive or expensive, but it is selective. By choosing the right stuff I get closer, more comfortable and longer lasting shaves than I ever did with canned shave cream (benzene is a common propellant-yes even in Barbasol) and a Fusion 5 cartridge razor. Moreover, my skin looks better and I am spending way less money. So, I just don't agree that you can use whatever and everything will be fine.

I have been fortunate. There are only a couple stones that do not get used regularly.
Razors - I have about 25-30, still more than I need but do rotate every now and again.
I have 8 strops that will last the rest of my life.
I'm set and haven't purchased goods in a while. It would have to be something special to get me to buy anything these days.

I think its funny to see guys with hundreds of stones. They can't possibly be making use of them but they are happy and that's all that matters.
My Dad's Dad worked in his Dad's Iron Foundry as a patternmaker while in college. Decades later, after the Foundry closed, Grandpa got 2 stones used in the foundry to keep the pattern shop's chisels razor sharp. He taught me how to hone his razors with them when I was around 14 years old. I have one of his razors, and the 2 stones; they're at least 125 years old and although I have others, these are the only ones I really need for my razors.

This is it.

The what 10 cent blade should I choose posters drive me almost as nuts as those who earnestly respond in the belief we should somehow choose by polling users we know nothing about.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
Point out the person who is compelling you to read all such posts - I'll have a word with them :lol1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Did you enjoy putting all that Benzine on your face for 20years?

Sorry, I just can't go along with this keep it simple and everything will be OK mentality. It is exactly that uncritical frame of mind that allowed Gillette to lead us to the five dollar Fusion cartridge.

I am no more knowledgeable about the chemistry of cakes of soap than I am aerosolised products, but it was my CRITICAL mind that led me AWAY from cartridges, in order to use DE for that 20 year period. Just because you can't go along with simplicity, doesn't mean the rest of us are uncritical or unthinking. You might not have been able to use what I did and be fine, but I could, and did. Not everyone has to shave the way you do, and thankfully not everyone is as dismissive of everyone else's choices as you are. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean their opinion is not thought out or valid.

I am no more knowledgeable about the chemistry of cakes of soap than I am aerosolised products, but it was my CRITICAL mind that led me AWAY from cartridges, in order to use DE for that 20 year period. Just because you can't go along with simplicity, doesn't mean the rest of us are uncritical or unthinking. You might not have been able to use what I did and be fine, but I could, and did. Not everyone has to shave the way you do, and thankfully not everyone is as dismissive of everyone else's choices as you are. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean their opinion is not thought out or valid.
I completely agree that your opinion and personal experience are valid. I wish that I could make my point without sounding so critical. I guess I am equating a don't worry, use whatever you want you will be fie attitude with uncritical thinking-like using a skin care product with benzene (a volatile petroleum product) in it without realizing it, or not caring, o r both. Real shave soaps, even ones that have been around for 100 years and are much less expensive than canned shave cream and have stuff in them that are really good for your face like tallow, shea butter, almond oil, aloe Vera, etc. To be uncritical about what you put on your skin just doesn't seem like good advice. Moreover, it is this attitude, this lack of vigilence that allowed Gillette and Barbasol to peddle harmful and overpriced products to us for decades.

I think that the wet shaving revolution is in large part a reaction to us having been deceived in this way.

To the extent my response came across as dismissive of your post I apologize.

Last edited:
Point out the person who is compelling you to read all such posts - I'll have a word with them [emoji38]1:
It's bad advice being given I most object to, not the fact I'm forced to read it.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom