What's new

It Really Doesn't Need to be That Complicated

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Every day I see many users join the forum and many are never heard from. Many times I see an introduction opening with "Long time lurker...". I sometimes worry that as much information is available and the fact that we, as a group, love to opine on the intricacies from A-Z it can be quite overwhelming for those of you that have come into this forum to glean a little information and assistance and all of a sudden you fall into the rabbit hole that is the forum. Trust me, I have and I am grateful. But, really, it doesn't need to be all that complicated.

All you need is a razor, a blade, and a soap/cream/butter/gel. I would encourage a brush but really one could go their entire life without and be fine.

There is also this;

A great link for a solid start.

So what did you wind up with? A Van der Hagen TTO from your local store? A $10 gillette tech off ebay? Merkur 34c, EJ89, maybe you spent a bit more but you have a de safety razor in your hands? Good to go.

Blades? Really. You are going to be ok. Get a sampler and really you are going to be able to successfully shave with all of them. One day you will find your happy blade. Until then, if it doesn't make your shave uncomfortable, it will do just fine.

Soaps/Creams/Gels/Butters Etc. It is all going to work. Happy with your Barbasol in a can? You will be fine. Using up the last of your gel? You will be ok too. Arko, Proraso or an artisan soap? You are going to need a brush, but really don't listen to all of us getting up on our high horses about slickness, scent and how nicely it leathers. YOU WILL BE FINE. Creams... Same as soaps.

Pre-shave? Honestly, save the oil from your sardines, rub some extra virgin olive oil, go with anything. Does it help. I think so. But is it necessary? No. Again, forum members (myself included) will fill your head with an endless amount of opinions. YOU WILL BE FINE WITH OR WITHOUT.

Brush. Similar to the dilemma of a razor, but again it is going to get the job done. Badger, boar, horse, synthetic or made from your gramma's favourite goats goatee. YOU WILL BE FINE. Some may be more comfortable on your face than others.

Consider stopping at TWO passes. Absolutely get an idea of how your bears grows.

So that is it. I can appreciate rabbit holes. I have fallen down a couple myself. Many will. I just hope that this forum isn't necessarily one of them if you are struggling to figure this all out. Really, YOU WILL BE FINE.

Last edited:
Nice post.

What surprises me at times, is the initial post and never again hearing from a new shaver. You are correct: it can be as simple or complicated as you want.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
VERY well said. I was welcomed with open arms when I first joined after lurking for a week or so.

I hope, honestly, that I am not one of THOSE boomers that turn newbies off. Once in awhile I have been known to be self-righteous and go after folks I feel are rude. Sorry about that. But I'll probably do it again if I see some stuffed shirt puffing out his chest.

Wasn't too long ago a guy that used to be on here a lot quit coming around because he got blown up by a few of the 1% of the members that have a Napoleon complex. I PM'd him and he never replied.

Moral of the story: you know it alls don't.

I do, lol.

VERY well said. I was welcomed with open arms when I first joined after lurking for a week or so.

I hope, honestly, that I am not one of THOSE boomers that turn newbies off. Once in awhile I have been known to be self-righteous and go after folks I feel are rude. Sorry about that. But I'll probably do it again if I see some stuffed shirt puffing out his chest.

Wasn't too long ago a guy that used to be on here a lot quit coming around because he got blown up by a few of the 1% of the members that have a Napoleon complex. I PM'd him and he never replied.

Moral of the story: you know it alls don't.

I do, lol.

I always find it amusing when a person who has 10 shaves under his belt becomes an expert and can't stand any opinion that differs from his.

Another thing is that all rabbit hole the advice isn't universal. 18 shaves on a blade? Proraso is an amazing soap? The Old Type is one of best razors? I tried all of this and a huge amount of other strategies that turned out to be bogus for me. Almost 2 years later and I am still trying to figure out how to get the best shave.

The rabbit hole has a lot of dead ends.

I've been at it for more years than I have fingers & toes. Part of the charm of wet shaving is developing the ability to get a superior shave from any particular combo of razor, blade & soap that I happen to select for the day. I normally do daily left vs right side comparisons & the immediate results are usually indistinguishable anymore. It's the condition of the shave 12 hours later that determines which was the better.

This . . .
1. Map my beard;
2. Stick with the same set up (brush, razor, & soap);
3. Get a sampler of blades;
4. Keep a shave journal;
5. Listen to my face.
Really good stuff in this thread. I found number 1 to help me considerably; I kept a blade journal as I stepped through all my sample blades. For sheer fun alone, I love number 5!

As s recently joined “lurker” I find this post pretty awesome. I was traditional shaving for almost 9 years before I found B&B. I have learned a lot from this community and enjoy the conversations but I can definitely see where it could be overwhelming. I think there may be two types of new joins, 1) looking for some specific info and 2) one that wants to expand the shaving experience and hobby. I could have continued to shave with my one razor and three soaps but your knowledge and insight opened up a whole different level of excitement and enjoyment in my shaving adventures. I think everyone takes something a little different from their time here and I think that is what makes B&B special. Off to shave!

Shaving is not much different than most hobbies. You can spend as much or as little time as you want to devote. You can spend as much or as little money as you wish.

For example, some people love the details of photography. They purchase an expensive SLR camera. They worry about lighting and filters. They worry about shot composure. The worry about f- stops, shutter times, and depth of field. They purchase photo editing software and correct their photos to the nth degree. Then there are those who whip out their cell phone and take a picture with the built-in camera and call it good. If they are enjoying what they are doing and are satisfied with the outcome, neither method is right or wrong. It is the same way with shaving. If someone wants to shave with a five-blade cartridge razor and canned gel, it's all good. If someone wants to spend a small fortune collecting razors, hones, strops, blades, soaps, brushes and aftershaves; that is fine as well.

This is definitely helpful for me. I just joined an had my first DE wet shave of my life a day ago. It was almost information overload the first time, I felt like it was a test in school lol. But once I got down to it and just tried to enjoy it, it was great. I kept it simple and used some well known and recommended items, Stirling soap, Synth brush, DE89 and Atra green. Went better than I could have asked. Best shave of my life and surprisingly 1 tiny dot of blood that quickly closed with alum.

I can see how it will becoming addicting chasing the perfect blade, razor, brush and soap though down the road. I think that will be part of the fun, keeping it fresh. But this is a welcome reminder that keeping it simple gets the job done, and after all we are doing this for a purpose!

I'm one of those long term lurkers. Also a long time traditional shaver. I'm also a classic introvert. I learned to shave with my Dad's three-piece double edge in 1950. I agree with the keep-it-simple discipline. After all it's only shaving...I'm one of those heretics who don't consider shaving a hobby...it's a part of good grooming habits. My pre-shave process uses only a lathering of bath soap and warm or hot water. I usually use the same razor everyday because it does the job, comfortably. Blades may vary, but not much, and I don't try to stretch blade uses...the goal is a comfortable shave every day. Now having said that, I know there are many who use a more detailed shaving procedure, and that's okay. Anyone should go with what suits them and brings them satisfaction and a good shave. Rotation of razors, blades, soap; go for it. I learn a lot reading about the experience of others' experience. With this post, you can see why I don't comment much!

I'm one of those long term lurkers. Also a long time traditional shaver. I'm also a classic introvert. I learned to shave with my Dad's three-piece double edge in 1950. I agree with the keep-it-simple discipline. After all it's only shaving...I'm one of those heretics who don't consider shaving a hobby...it's a part of good grooming habits. My pre-shave process uses only a lathering of bath soap and warm or hot water. I usually use the same razor everyday because it does the job, comfortably. Blades may vary, but not much, and I don't try to stretch blade uses...the goal is a comfortable shave every day. Now having said that, I know there are many who use a more detailed shaving procedure, and that's okay. Anyone should go with what suits them and brings them satisfaction and a good shave. Rotation of razors, blades, soap; go for it. I learn a lot reading about the experience of others' experience. With this post, you can see why I don't comment much!
Having read your view point, I’m curious what is making you lurk here?

Top Bottom