What's new

It Really Does Taste Like chicken

My daughter and I were out to dinner and seafood happens to be getting a little pricey these day. She suggested we have the alligator tenders with a wasabi dipping sauce. They were excellent and did taste like chicken.

I would have suggested they be fried in bacon grease or wrapped in bacon to add to the flavor.

They are big down here. Fried and with different kinds of sauces ranging from spicy-hot to tarter sauce.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Ah, alligator. Well, it is good in a Cajun sauce picquant, fried, smothered, stewed in a roux like a gumbo, made into sausage particularly boudoin (pronounced "boo-dan") or in a jambalaya. Basically you can do most anything with it because it does not have any overpowering notes and goes well with many other flavors. I am partial to alligator fritters. Try it in Mac-n-cheese, or a salad similar to a chicken salad but with sour cream instead of mayo. Remember, and alligator will not hesitate to eat you, so don't you shy away from eating it. Get your licks in while you can.

Ah, alligator. Well, it is good in a Cajun sauce picquant, fried, smothered, stewed in a roux like a gumbo, made into sausage particularly boudoin (pronounced "boo-dan") or in a jambalaya. Basically you can do most anything with it because it does not have any overpowering notes and goes well with many other flavors. I am partial to alligator fritters. Try it in Mac-n-cheese, or a salad similar to a chicken salad but with sour cream instead of mayo. Remember, and alligator will not hesitate to eat you, so don't you shy away from eating it. Get your licks in while you can.

Oh man, you're making me hungry! Seriously. My mouth is watering.

The beasts are also pretty fast, they can outrun you in short distance. I enjoyed it breaded on a pecan sauce. pretty good. I grew up in Fla and in the canals people fed them whole chicken which created a nuisance problem and maybe that is where they get the chicken taste.
I wonder why we don't see Alligator meat in other states since they had recovered pretty good. Manatee is endangered now but it was a good eat too.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yup, that was my impression also!

It's not bad but I was expecting something different. Kangaroo or Horse is quite different...

I'd like to try kangaroo meat. Not real interested in eating horse, since I've owned horses and consider them a noble beast (YMMV).
I'd have NO problem eating it if I were starving, though.:lol:

I love gator tail. Fried or baked and served with marmalade.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'd like to try kangaroo meat. Not real interested in eating horse, since I've owned horses and consider them a noble beast (YMMV).
I'd have NO problem eating it if I were starving, though.:lol:

I love gator tail. Fried or baked and served with marmalade.

Roo meat is quite strong. It's not bad but I'm not seeing myself eating it on a regular basis. Horse is also a strong meat but not as strong (taste-wise) as Roo. Both contain a lot of iron and they both are very dark.

I still think that Boar is my favorite!

My daughter and I were out to dinner and seafood happens to be getting a little pricey these day. She suggested we have the alligator tenders with a wasabi dipping sauce. They were excellent and did taste like chicken.

I would have suggested they be fried in bacon grease or wrapped in bacon to add to the flavor.

I would have to agree, I had some at a restaurant in San Antonio, Texas when visiting relatives.

Mine was served deep fried and don't remember the sauces offered but I tried it by itself. It was really good.

Your dinner sounds fabulous with the wasabi dipping sauce.

I eat a fair bit of roo. So lean! Plus when it's cooked right it's more tender than pretty much anything else.

Never had alligator, but crocodile is like fishy chicken

I've had tempura alligator before--that was pretty good.

Roo meat is quite strong. It's not bad but I'm not seeing myself eating it on a regular basis. Horse is also a strong meat but not as strong (taste-wise) as Roo. Both contain a lot of iron and they both are very dark.

Had some excellent horse sashimi at a wedding once. You'd think that raw horse would be chewy but it was unbelievably soft and tasty.

Horse sashimi?

Well, that absolutely trumps any "weird" food I've ever tried. Is it a cultural thing? Obviously sashimi is Japanese, though I know other cultures eat raw meat as well (ceviche, carpaccio, etc).

Horse sashimi?

Well, that absolutely trumps any "weird" food I've ever tried. Is it a cultural thing? Obviously sashimi is Japanese, though I know other cultures eat raw meat as well (ceviche, carpaccio, etc).

I think that there's a fair amount of raw meat eating around--in fact, writing this is making me crave steak tartare. Mmmm... What made the horse sashimi good was that it was cut perfectly. Thin enough to be effortlessly chewable, thick enough to give you the feel of meet.

The only kind of sashimi that I was not happy about eating was chicken. The chef at a friend of mine's restaurant in Japan was experimenting with it--raw chicken in a very spicy citrus marinade. I don't care for the idea of raw poultry--it's like begging to get sick. But, when in Rome. It actually tasted good, but I was happy when a couple of days passed and I hadn't wound up in the hospital.

I've sampled it a couple times from different places, once from a smaller restaurant on the coast and once at pappadeaux's. Both times I thought it was pretty greasy. Definitely would classify it as tourist food.

I love turtle steak but is not usually available anymore. It is a deep red meat that resembles veal when cooked. Manatee, depending on the cut it has a different taste and tasajo is a dry salted horse meat that is delicious when prepare well.

Top Bottom