What's new

It lives... (AOS Gillette tech)

I almost hate posting this (I said almost) but the AOS fat handled tech has appeared on AOS' web home page. First time I've ever seen it there - it was heretofore relegated to Instagram. It says "On-line only" near it but it's nowhere else on the site. Damn shame as it looks really nice & shiny...

Anyone hear anything new about it from stopping in an actual brick and mortar AOS (or is it still an urban myth?)

Hmm, I don't see it.

I do, however, see in their razors what they're calling a "moustache razor" that looks an awful lot like the old razors used for shaving corns off of your feet. hahaha.

Is this the photo?

Screenshot 2017-06-23 at 8.32.41 AM - Edited.png

I called the AOS customer service and asked them if that was a new razor. The AOS rep said the Gillette is NOT releasing any new DE razors. AOS only sells what is already on their site.

I called the AOS customer service and asked them if that was a new razor. The AOS rep said the Gillette is NOT releasing any new DE razors. AOS only sells what is already on their site.
Thanks for calling and checking. "AOS only sells what's on it's website." I can hear you asking: "I'd like to buy that razor on your website?" "Uhhh, what razor?" "The one at the top of the page, on the left." "Oh, that razor. Sorry, we don't sell that razor." "But it's on the website..."

I stopped by AoS while on business travel this week - mostly since I have never ventured into one prior. Nothing but over priced new DE's like Merkur, etc. Some nice looking brush/razor sets, but again way over-priced. I was interested in the Sandalwood Crypress cologne until I sprayed it on a sample card. I couldn't detect any Sandalwood scent so a no-go for me.

I stopped by AoS while on business travel this week - mostly since I have never ventured into one prior. Nothing but over priced new DE's like Merkur, etc. Some nice looking brush/razor sets, but again way over-priced. I was interested in the Sandalwood Crypress cologne until I sprayed it on a sample card. I couldn't detect any Sandalwood scent so a no-go for me.

Really? That's too bad. I haven't been in one in years. But while really pricey, their soaps, creams & scents were good. I don't know if they still sell it but their original just Sandlewood was really sandlewoodsy-scented and lasted a long time.

I could see them offer some obscure, low wage economy produced 3 piece as a lure to get you in the store, then you discover all the counter staff are trained to upsell and/or talk you out of using such archaic technology in favor of the latest 82 blade disposable cart! One pass is all you need :)

I couldn't detect any Sandalwood scent so a no-go for me.
Their soap is the same - my wife got me a puck of their lemon soap and the lemon AS balm this past Christmas. I never could get much of a scent from the soap, and the balm left my face sticky all day, and it had a back scent that I didn't like. It almost smelled like it was burnt.

The performance of the soap is terrific. It takes no effort to build a lather and I've never had any issues shaving with it. I'll use it when I want something that won't interfere with my AS.

Really? That's too bad. I haven't been in one in years. But while really pricey, their soaps, creams & scents were good. I don't know if they still sell it but their original just Sandlewood was really sandlewoodsy-scented and lasted a long time.

To be fair, maybe the scent is different than the TOBS Sandalwood scent I am used to. I have a few pucks of AoS sandalwood soap that, to me, smell Sandalwood. The cologne was just different - not a bad scent, but not what I was expecting.

I was in the Short Hills Mall one day and wandered into the AOS store. They had a large poster up that had this mysterious and elusive fat handle tech like creature lurking in it. So I asked the salesperson if I could buy one. They looked at the picture and then walked over to the drawer with the razors in it and said this is what we carry. I looked at the razors and not one of them was that razor. No to be deterred, I pointed out that none of them is the razor in their ad. So I again asked how I might go about buying one. They looked at me like I was crazy. I probably would not have bought one since I get it would be about $60 to $80 for zamak. Their hardware is way overpriced. I do like their creams however. I have a tub of the sandalwood and love it. I also have TOBS sandalwood and love that too but they are very different scents. I don't think the creams are overpriced. Just the hardware. So I guess we will never see a new Fat Handle Tech from AOS. One has to wonder why they put something in their ads that they don't sell. Seems strange. Then again, I'm not in the advertising business.

Top Bottom