What's new

It is official!

This morning I realized that I've not purchased a shave cream in nearly 6 months, and I've only used a shave cream about 4 times in the last 4 months. I suppose this officially makes me a soap guy. :thumbup:

I understand it's more economical than cream, but why do you think you've gone in this direction.

I'm just curious, I use both soaps and creams probably equally.

This morning I realized that I've not purchased a shave cream in nearly 6 months, and I've only used a shave cream about 4 times in the last 4 months. I suppose this officially makes me a soap guy. :thumbup:

Definitely.

I find myself in the same boat - while I still use my Trumper rose and JM Fraser from time to time - I've purchased no new creams since June and all of my planned acquistions are soaps.

Not dissing the creams, just saying that I'm a convert to soaps as well - they just work better for me - in particular the hard soaps.

I'm leaning in this direction. I only use cremes for Super Lather. Soaps, primarily Glycerin types, give me a closer shave, and softer skin, afterwards.

-Jim

My last few purchases have been razors and/or soaps. but then I was a 'soap snob' to begin with anyway. :wink:

Marty

I got three words for you all:

queue -- eeh -- dee,

I hate what Charles has done to me (in the best of ways, of course)

:sneaky2:

I understand it's more economical than cream, but why do you think you've gone in this direction.

I'm just curious, I use both soaps and creams probably equally.

The easy answer would be that I tend to get consistently closer shaves from the soaps. This phenomenon is most greatly realized at the end of the day when a soap shave seems to provide about 3 more hours of smoothness. Other factors that also play in are:

1.) I prefer stiff, scritchy brushes and these tend to perform great with soaps.

2.) I get greater satisfaction from the actual process of lathering a soap and specifically from building the lather on my face from a soap.

3.) It may be imagined, but I find identically scented soaps and creams from the same manufacturer to smell better in soap form.

4.) I get better results when using soap lather as my pre-shave whisker-softening ingredient.

I'm sure that given time I could put together quite a lengthy list, but these are the foremost reasons.

1.) I prefer stiff, scritchy brushes and these tend to perform great with soaps.

I'm starting to lean this way. Heck, I even broke out my Tweezerman the other day! What brushes can you recommend along the stiff/scritchy vector?

Dude, forbes,floris,harris,Pen,coates what are you doing:eek: :001_tt2: :lol:

I appreciate creams because they lather a bit quicker (especially directly on the face when I'm rushed), but for a real enjoyable shave I reach for a soap.

Well, except for my DR Harris cream. That stuff is on par with all my soaps.

I'm starting to lean this way. Heck, I even broke out my Tweezerman the other day! What brushes can you recommend along the stiff/scritchy vector?

My two current favorites are a Simpson's Chubby 1 in Best and a Rooney Style 3 Size 1 in Super. The Simpson is a bit stiffer than the Rooney, however, the Rooney provides greater scritch. They complement each other nicely.

I have several brushes that are still on the wish list. :blush:

My two current favorites are a Simpson's Chubby 1 in Best and a Rooney Style 3 Size 1 in Super. The Simpson is a bit stiffer than the Rooney, however, the Rooney provides greater scritch.

Scritch is on the way. I just ordered one of those Rooneys from Vintage Blades! :tongue:

Norm

My two current favorites are a Simpson's Chubby 1 in Best and a Rooney Style 3 Size 1 in Super. The Simpson is a bit stiffer than the Rooney, however, the Rooney provides greater scritch. They complement each other nicely.

I have several brushes that are still on the wish list. :blush:

Just a little more details on the Chubby 1 Kyle. Lee's razor says the Chubby 1 is a great brush for creams and the Duke 2 for soaps (here). I am planning to get a stiffer brush for soaps and would like your input on this. If you or someone else who has both these brushes, a little explanation on how they perform when used with a soap, stiffness and scritch factor etc.

Hi

I am definitely a soap man; I hardly ever use cream now. In fact I have only just started to appreciated the satisfaction of building up the lather on the face! Up till recently I have always made it up in a bowl. It all changed when I got the Duke 2 what a fantastic 'little scrubber' it is! As for the bowl, well I’m afraid for now it just holds my free samples?:w00t:

Top Bottom