What's new

It is happening, first real straight!

I just contacted Griffith on a whim to ask for advice on some of their vintage restorations and Matt got back to me in minutes. On a Saturday. As a few people have heard, I have been using a Feather DX with Super blades for about 6 months, and a half blade shavette well before that, and I really wanted a real straight. The problem for me is the blade length. After several threads here and seeing several people jumping into straights, I am jumping on the band wagon. He is going to find me one with a shorter blade, should have a couple choices. Plus the Tony Miller strop that will be coming next week, this is all happening too fast!
:badger:

Unless one of you figures out which razors I am eyeballing and grabs them before me, then I will have to wait until the next one. He has several in cue for restoration work.

Enjoy! And it may help to know, for future purposes, that kamisoris often have blades in the 45-50mm range.

Or you can just get used to the longer blades on Western-style straights. I did, after starting with kamisoris. Haven't cut my earlobe at all with one, after the first time.

Thanks everybody who responded so far! I just got another email back with a bunch of razors that have shorter blades. There is one that might blow my budget and might sell before I can get it, but as soon as I saw it I knew it was the one! If that doesn't work out, the ones he sent me pictures of are awaiting restoration and I can probably pick one and wait. So unless I get lucky with the one that I really want, this thread might have to be revived in a couple weeks or more if I decide to wait for a restoration. Oh! I will keep this floating along by posting my strop when I get it from TM. I feel surprisingly patient now that I have found where I am going to get the razor, it will happen sooner or later.

Well I didn't even last 24hrs. Time to spill some beans...

I was specifically looking for a Japanese straight because of the shorter blade, found a few on the bay that would fit the bill. Problem is shipping from Japan is ridiculous and the thing still has to go off to a honer. As I said before, I contacted Griffith and he sent me this picture:

IMG_4117.jpeg

I HAD TO HAVE IT, it was way over my budget. Buy once, cry once. It is ordered, no more straights for at least 6 months. 😬😏:ihih:

Oh, the TM strop is ordered of course. Guess it is all coming at once. 🥳

Well I didn't even last 24hrs. Time to spill some beans...

I was specifically looking for a Japanese straight because of the shorter blade, found a few on the bay that would fit the bill. Problem is shipping from Japan is ridiculous and the thing still has to go off to a honer. As I said before, I contacted Griffith and he sent me this picture:

View attachment 1430056

I HAD TO HAVE IT, it was way over my budget. Buy once, cry once. It is ordered, no more straights for at least 6 months. 😬😏:ihih:

Oh, the TM strop is ordered of course. Guess it is all coming at once. 🥳
I love everything about that razor, especially the shoulderless design. Ya done good.

Do you happen to know anything about the rounded heel on these? It appears unsharpened which seem like a good thing to me. I wanted a square point, but...
Yes, the heel is unsharpened, and as you can see it's a long curve which is what gives you the shorter cutting edge I have a Japanese razor with a similar blade profile, and it's very nimble in spite of being a hair under 7/8. Also that point is kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion. You can't stab your ear with it but the actual point right at the edge is square and allows for a lot of precision if you have a mustache or goatee to shave around. Mine is much the same and I like it a lot more than a standard German style round point.

Top Bottom