What's new

It is a slippery slope.

Last night I started thinking about SE razors. By this afternoon I have a RR Hawk, Occam’s OREN, and ATT SE-1 on order. Then I remembered back, 9 months ago, when I first got interested in DE razors. I remember I seemed to having acquired some older SE razors via Lot purchases. I suspect 1930’s or so?

I placed them in a drawer thinking I would use them for trades down the road. Rounded them up this afternoon… two EverReady’s, a Star, and a Gem. Not collectable quality but they should offer a decent test shave. Now I have to research blades for these puppies.

A slippery slope indeed.

2019_May_19_7690_LR.jpg
2019_May_19_7693_LR.jpg
2019_May_19_7695_LR.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I started thinking about SE razors. By this afternoon I have a RR Hawk, Occam’s OREN, and ATT SE-1 on order. Then I remembered back, 9 months ago, when I first got interested in DE razors. I seemed to having acquired some older SE razors via Lot purchases. I suspect 1930’s or so?

I placed them in a drawer thinking I would use them for trades down the road. Rounded them up this afternoon… two EverReady’s, a Star, and a Gem. Not collectable quality but they should offer a decent test shave. Now I have to research blades for these puppies.

A slippery slope indeed.

View attachment 982075 View attachment 982076 View attachment 982077

GEM - Stainless Steel PTFE Coated - $0.50 each - Double Edge Razor Blade

Please join us on Micromatic Monday.

I now see where our local CVS pharmacy have some in stock. However it is their store brand (I suspect made by Personna). Anyone have some knowledge about CVS brand Single edge razor blades?

I now see where our local CVS pharmacy have some in stock. However it is their store brand (I suspect made by Personna). Anyone have some knowledge about CVS brand Single edge razor blades?

I suspect that they’re not the PTFE version, and thus may rust quickly. To be safe, you may want to remove and dry the CVS blade after use...

Nice! the ER on the left is my favorite version of the 1912. I just love that short handle, and for some reason ER seem to shave slightly better for me. I think those blades are carbon, so you may want to remove and dry it after use.

Nice! the ER on the left is my favorite version of the 1912. I just love that short handle, and for some reason ER seem to shave slightly better for me. I think those blades are carbon, so you may want to remove and dry it after use.
I think you are correct. Just wanted to get some to get me going. I have some better ones on order.

The CVS blades should be carbon steel. They usually say if they are stainless or not on the package. Make sure you wipe them dry and keep them dry between shaves or else they will rust like others have stated.

Walgreens should carry the uncoated stainless steel blades.

There are 4 major types of blades for these razors

Carbon steel
Blue carbon steel
Uncoated stainless steel
PTFE coated stainless steel

The coated ones are the blades you'll see recommended to use more so than the others.

CVS and Walgreens tend to be expensive for these blades, you are better off if you use the razors long term to buy 100 pack or larger of whatever blade you decide on. Just make sure if you buy them from a medical supply company that they are 3 facet blades.

In the short term you could buy all 4 of those types by the blade to try first before buying a 100 pack at tryablade.com

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've got 3 comments:

1. Congratulations, you have 3 excellent 1912-style razors and a GEM Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC) -- early edition without "internal bumps". My favorite of the 4 razors you have is the MMOC. As a potentially helpful comparison, my favorite DE is a 1906 Single Ring -- I prefer razors that require respect, but also reward you for it as well.

2. My favorite blades are Treet Carbon and GEM SS PTFE. If you rinse your blade and dry it, the carbon's are perfectly fine....in fact they are smoother right out of the package than the PTFEs. The PTFE blades really need a couple of shaves to tamp down the harshness. I use both blades, but tend to prefer the PTFEs for their longevity -- I get about 10 shaves (on average) from the PTFE, but only about half that from my carbon blades.

3. Regardless of which razor you start with Micromatic or 1912 (ER, Star or GEM), please come on over to the Micromatic Monday thread and share your shave with us!

Top Bottom