What's new

“It has a great trigger....so?”

Many years of law enforcement experience has proven to me that practical shooting techniques such as this will save your bacon more than most other various methods of self defense shooting. This is how I practice now; how I practiced for over four decades.

Noticing something from the video:

For shotguns and rifles, I put the first bend of my trigger finger on the trigger and squeeze. Is that incorrect? I was taught to squeeze the trigger, and that's the way I ended up doing it. For a cocked revolver, the video instructs putting the pad of the finger on the trigger, and only mentions the first knuckle in firing DA.

If I ever do go for a revolver, I'll definitely have to practice with a dime on the muzzle. Are snap caps recommended when dry firing?

most weapons systems will have greater accuracy if you place the pad of the finger on the trigger and pull straight back through and parallel to the bore axis. some... sometimes, for some people will work better with the crease of the first joint on the trigger.

dime/washer drills work for all weapons. it easily demonstrates if the shooter is jerking the trigger. for long guns, have someone place it at the muzzle end of the barrel for the shooter to dry fire.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Noticing something from the video:

For shotguns and rifles, I put the first bend of my trigger finger on the trigger and squeeze. Is that incorrect? I was taught to squeeze the trigger, and that's the way I ended up doing it. For a cocked revolver, the video instructs putting the pad of the finger on the trigger, and only mentions the first knuckle in firing DA.

On increasing grip pressure: Is this something like a flinch reaction? I figured you'd have to "strong arm" a hand gun, like holding the handle of a radial arm saw, so that your muscles are tensed "just enough" and not limp, while maintaining a firm grip. With a radial arm saw, that's to prevent the blade carriage from yanking if the blade binds and losing control over the saw. Is "strong arm" the wrong technique for a hand gun?

If I ever do go for a revolver, I'll definitely have to practice with a dime on the muzzle. Are snap caps recommended when dry firing?

Yes, grip one firm enough that you don't increase pressure when you get to the end of the DA pull...use about the same pressure as you put on the grip at the end of the pull or maybe a touch more.

I like to use snap caps. Some guns are "okay" not to use them but they reduce the stress on the hammer and firing pin. As cheap as they are why not? I've been happy with the a-zoom brand...have them in .38 Special and .45 Colt. They came in a pack of 6 for revolvers.

A-ZOOM Action Proving Dummy Round Snap Cap 375 H&H Mag Aluminum Pack

Many years of law enforcement experience has proven to me that practical shooting techniques such as this will save your bacon more than most other various methods of self defense shooting. This is how I practice now; how I practiced for over four decades.

not a thing wrong with it and I agree with the likelihood of engagement range. I was taught to try use the standoff of the last 1/3 of max effective range of my systems during an engagement because it could be beyond the max effective range, or effective fire of my opponent.

I train contact through mid/far ranges, focusing on highest to lowest probability of shot, as you say.

a far/near max effective shot as a civilian self-defense will likely be harder to articulate a defense for than near/contact.

and randomly loading a snap cap into semi-auto mags, randomly holstering them so it's a suprise when you get to it is a great way to work malfunctions and see if you're flinching.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

A police instructor back in the '80s had us do something similar with .357s at 3 feet. We'd come straight up from the holster and tuck the grip hand against the side of our ribs just below nipple high and fire off the rounds.

When I first went to a 1911 I just naturally did that at qualifications. I wasn't in uniform that session so I didn't have a vest on...the slide came back and bit the crap outa my ribs. The 1911 didn't malfunction, but it made me malfunction. :lol:

Last edited:
While true, can't a heavy pull trigger pull off your aim with a hand gun? Thinking what I've seen with a small framed person and an old DA revolver. With the hammer cocked, no problem. Cocking through the trigger, the muzzle wandered.

It can, but so can the position of your finger on the trigger itself. IIRC, close to the first knuckle will tend to pull shots to the right while too close to the tip will push them to the left. Most people who have little experience with handguns aren't capable of moving only the trigger finger. The rest of their fingers will also tighten the grip on the gun. With practice, isolating movement to just the trigger finger is easily accomplished. That said, some people will always have trouble with particular guns. Then there are guns that have such heavy pulls that it would be impossible for 99% of shooters to have any luck with them. The M1895 Nagant revolver comes to mind. The double action on the one I handled had to have been over 20 pounds.

A police instructor back in the '80s had us do something similar with .357s at 3 feet. We'd come straight up from the holster and tuck the grip hand against our ribs just below nipple high and fire off the rounds.

Sounds like that might be hard on shirts. Probably pretty tough on the shooter too if the gun had bad timing.

When you are splitting hairs between a bunch of guns that are all pretty much the same, you have to nitpick about things like crisp trigger pull.
Nowdays, pretty much every gun is good and works reliability; so on the interweb how are you going to win an arguement about which gun is best unless you argue about pointless things about which is the most reliable, which has the crispest trigger pull or which has night sites?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When you are splitting hairs between a bunch of guns that are all pretty much the same, you have to nitpick about things like crisp trigger pull.
Nowdays, pretty much every gun is good and works reliability; so on the interweb how are you going to win an arguement about which gun is best unless you argue about pointless things about which is the most reliable, which has the crispest trigger pull or which has night sites?

Don't know if I understand everything you mean here, But I will +1 anyway, cuz I liked the way it sounded. And I have an fond infinity for the word "argue" :)

Guns are fun. And so is talkin' debatin' and arguin' about guns.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

I used to practice a similar exercise, as well as that one, when I had access to a range where I could do things like that (I don't currently). One variation is to start with your off hand high on the target in the shoulder or head area as if you were pushing someone off of you. Obviously you have to be confident in your gun handling/muzzle control. After initial engagement at contact distance, you then "back peddle" continuing to fire as you put distance between yourself and the target.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I used to practice a similar exercise, as well as that one, when I had access to a range where I could do things like that (I don't currently). One variation is to start with your off hand high on the target in the shoulder or head area as if you were pushing someone off of you. Obviously you have to be confident in your gun handling/muzzle control. After initial engagement at contact distance, you then "back peddle" continuing to fire as you put distance between yourself and the target.

I actually get to practice 'push off' drills on some 3D rubber guys you told me about years ago! :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
A police instructor back in the '80s had us do something similar with .357s at 3 feet. We'd come straight up from the holster and tuck the grip hand against the side of our ribs just below nipple high and fire off the rounds.

When I first went to a 1911 I just naturally did that at qualifications. I wasn't in uniform that session so I didn't have a vest on...the slide came back and bit the crap outa my ribs. The 1911 didn't malfunction, but it made me malfunction. :lol:
That's another area where wheelies might have an advantage. There is no slide to jam by being obstructed and no chance of a revolver getting pushed out of battery.

Wheelies can also be grabbed by the cylinder so they don’t rotate, thumb webbing can be shoved inside the hammer to block a primer.

Years of study with Master Ken has made me a lethal weapon.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Wheelies can also be grabbed by the cylinder so they don’t rotate, thumb webbing can be shoved inside the hammer to block a primer.

Years of study with Master Ken has made me a lethal weapon.
Yup. But I very much doubt you will attack me. Plus the old thumb webbing to block the hammer only works if the hammer is cocked and as long as you are concentrating on my revolver the chances of me being able to use the knife increase.

so you're not going to try to grab my pistol... ok.

is your knife going to penetrate my vest? my armored undies? my face armor?

I'm having trouble even typing this with a straight face.

Top Bottom