What's new

It all came together in this morning's (generally) on-the-cheap quick 'n' dirty cold water shave

The Water: COLD!
The Razor: Merkur 34C
The Cream: Godrej Sensitive (tube)
The Brush: Yaqi Red Marble 24mm Tuxedo Knot
The Blade: Derby Extra (new)
The Lathering: Face
The After: Maggard Alum Block and Skin Bracer

One of the really nice things about cold water shaving aside from reduced skin irritation is that face prep time is nothing. Just splash cold water on the face/neck two or three times and you're ready to rock. With a synthetic brush you just run the knot under cold water, shake it out once and start lather business.

Squeezed about an inch long bit of Godrej "Sensitive" cream (red tube) on the wetted-down brush, hit the face, and start swirling. BOOM! Excellent lathering. I wasn't surprised; all of my tubed creams from Godrej are lather bombs every time. And the lather is SLICK.

Three passes, cold water rinse, wet alum block all over (very little stinging), another rinse after 30 seconds, pat dry with towel and a generous application of Skin Bracer....and I'm out the door.

Good for you. I have been forced to shave with cold water a few times, but I find it unpleasant. However, I did get a close shave, but the blade didn't seem to last as long - not sure why.

I like cold water shaving in the warm weather.
"Warm" weather here in Da Swamp lasts from March to November and sometimes up till Christmas. Of course, for most of that time my tap water is not cold but tepid.

I've compensated by doing lukewarm water most of the year, so I shave with pretty much the same temperature of water all year long.

When I started DE shaving I used hot water, but after a couple of weeks I tried cold water out of curiosity - I’ve never looked back! Cold water for washing or even showering has never really bothered me, so it comes quite easy, and I like less irritation!

It doesn’t suit everyone, but if anyone is wondering about it, give it a go - if you don’t like it, that hot water tap is in easy reach! 😁

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I shave with cold water now thanks to some tips on B&B. It helps keep irritation at bay.

I've been cold water shaving for a month or so, either just wetting my face and starting, or after a quick (hot) shower with a cold water rinse. The actual process of dragging the razor across my face is maybe not quite as pleasant was with hot water prep, but the result is significantly better. Little to no irritation and close. I'll likely never go back.

Respectfully, I think the whole "cold water" shave is just a myth.

If anyone has irritation, they need to improve their technique and/or try out a different hardware and software.

Scientifically, the cold water "method" is baseless. There's just nothing there that would support the claim, quite the contrary.

This old thread is probably the best one ever written on the subject: How-to: Pre-Shave Prep | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

Respectfully, I think the whole "cold water" shave is just a myth.

If anyone has irritation, they need to improve their technique and/or try out a different hardware and software.

Scientifically, the cold water "method" is baseless. There's just nothing there that would support the claim, quite the contrary.

This old thread is probably the best one ever written on the subject: How-to: Pre-Shave Prep | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)
It ain't a myth, I cold water shave year round and get a much better shave than I ever did with warm water.

If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. Shaving is very much a YMMV kind of activity.

The Water: COLD!
The Razor: Merkur 34C
The Cream: Godrej Sensitive (tube)
The Brush: Yaqi Red Marble 24mm Tuxedo Knot
The Blade: Derby Extra (new)
The Lathering: Face
The After: Maggard Alum Block and Skin Bracer

One of the really nice things about cold water shaving aside from reduced skin irritation is that face prep time is nothing. Just splash cold water on the face/neck two or three times and you're ready to rock. With a synthetic brush you just run the knot under cold water, shake it out once and start lather business.

Squeezed about an inch long bit of Godrej "Sensitive" cream (red tube) on the wetted-down brush, hit the face, and start swirling. BOOM! Excellent lathering. I wasn't surprised; all of my tubed creams from Godrej are lather bombs every time. And the lather is SLICK.

Three passes, cold water rinse, wet alum block all over (very little stinging), another rinse after 30 seconds, pat dry with towel and a generous application of Skin Bracer....and I'm out the door.
Glad to hear it worked so well for you. I'm a cold water shaver myself and its always good to welcome another to Cold side LOL!

Cold/Lukewarm water works for me. Love it, especially from Marsh to November/December. Cold water splash on face afterwards feels awesome too. I usually follow that wih an alcohol based splash, extra mentholated. Uh-huh.

Shaving is very much a YMMV kind of activity.
Truth is - it's not.

The ubiquitous acronym "YMMV" is the the biggest B/S found in the wet-shaving community.

Other than a scent preference and "Cream Vs. Soap" practicality, hardly anything is YMMV. More likely can be attributed to poor technique and even poorer understanding of the process behind it.

But hey pal, you know what - YMMV! 😁 😂 🤣

Top Bottom