What's new

Issues with Razorock 0.84

Hi,

I been De shaving for 3 years. started with Edwin Jagger DE89, then moved up to Rockwell 6C, just recently got a second hand Game Changer 0.84

I use poraso red, MWF and Cella

I shave with level 4 on the Rockwell 6C. Its a great close shave and I can get BBS for the next 12 hours.

My Gamechanger just doesnt seem to match it. I cannot get BBS and still get more nicks and irritation than the 6C.

As i bought used, are there different variations with earlier models ?

What blade is best with the Gamecganger 0.84 ? I find Nacet works best on my other two razors

Any other suggestions

thanks

The GC .84 is definitely a more aggressive razor than the DE89 as well as plate 4 of the 6C. The GC .68 would be more in line with what you've been using. Try a milder blade such as an Astra SP. I also suggest getting a .68-P base plate for your Game Changer, I think you will like that better.

I experienced similar after the edwin jagger and Rockwell failing in using the gamechanger 84.
I tried a Gamechanger 68 which was better than the 84 but the Lupo 58 matched better than all others.
Just to mention I love the Merkur 34, Mühle R89 and lupo 58. My Rockwell is out of rotation.

I find the GC .84p to be an autopilot razor. Maybe you're using it at more shallow angle and that's the reason why it feels more aggressive to you. I use mine with steep angle and the results are great. Try to play with the angle with slow strokes and see how it goes. If you still can't get a good shave with it after countless attempts, then maybe it's not for you and there's nothing wrong with that.

The razors you have mentioned aren't aggressive razors. As such I would wager you have produce the habbit of pushing down your razor on your skin. Just give the GC 84 another try but use absolutely no downward pressure.

A nacet is also sharp, you could try a more forgiving blade genre Treet 7 Days platinum, shark ss, rapira ss or a Lord platinum.

Good luck!

I love my EJ89, progress, Rockwell 6C etc…

Got a 84 few months ago and although it is a smooth razor, it felt aggressive ATG and not effective enough if I stopped on the WTG/XTG pass.

I always use BIC blades, very sharp and smooth so I always figured that the blade was not a factor to be changed.

I kept revisiting the 84 despite all of this, and this week I had the ideia of using a Derby Extra with it.

Oh boy I was instantly impressed.

First day, 3 passes, perfect shave.
Second day, 3 passes, same results.
Third day, 3 passes, ok I was convinced. No aftershave feedback, no irritation, nada.

Blade matters.

Thanks for all the replies and tips. I did go lighter and played with angles a bit. I got less irritation but still not BBS.

I bought the gamechanger because so many ppl like it. Ill have to play around with some different blades.

I just assumed a sharp blade would equal BBS, where if i used a mild blade I will get less irritation but not BBS

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The best blade for my RR GC.84 is Kai SS Extra wide blade and it just shines + 9/1000 of inch wider or 4.5/1000" per side more width. The RR GC.84 has hardly any blade exposure or blade feel at least with mine and I have done some testing to confirm that.
I would just buy a few tucks of Kai SS blades and it will give a good close shave and you can use them in your other mild razors also. Kai is a sharp & smooth blade with excellent longevity but they are pricier than other blades but work well.
I can also get a good shave with a GSB on the 1st and 2nd use with my RR GC.84.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Some more information the Kai blades!
Have some great shaves!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Having come up with an EJ89 and a Rockwell 6s, plate #4 being my preference as well. I also had a gamechanger, but with the .68 plate which I found very similar to the EJ89. I Found the .84 to be too aggressive and wound up selling it on the BST.

I'd give the .68 plate a go if I were in your shoes.

FWIW, I usually run my .68OC, .84P, and SLOC razors with Perma-Sharps, but I've found Nacet and Astra SS to be good as well. I've used up nearly my entire stash of Feathers at this point (mostly in mild OC razors like the Merkur 25C, RR OLD Type, etc.), but I recall them working, too. I've yet to try Kai or other "new-to-me" blades since I'm quite satisfied with the three types I already have stockpiled. If I had to choose just 1 blade to continue to use, it'd be the Perma-Sharps (Russian/Turk)...and my blade stash reflects that bias.

I use my .68OC and SLOC most of the time since I work in an environment where I often go a few days -- sometimes a week -- without shaving. Open combs are the perfect tool for mowing-down an overgrown jawline. When I decide to shave everyday during the workweek, the .84P usually gets the daily nod. A sharp blade and good soap easily gives at least a DFS on 2 passes, which is all I'm usually going for. That all said, if I had to keep just 1 do-it-all razor...it'd be the .68OC.

Top Bottom