What's new

issues with lathering barrister mann?

I pulled out my old tub of terror by barrister and mann. this one is in the excelsior base. I did not get a particular good lather with it. At first I thought it was my brush that was the problem, then I tried another synthetic brush and same problem. most of my shave soaps lather rather easily from my croaps to hard soaps. I don't really use creams anymore. I have seen some say they have had issues with lathering barrister and mann, so I know it's not me. I don't like soaps where you have to really work to get a good lather. I also noticed that with barrister and mann and some other artisans like PAA use the ingriedient kokum butter and I wonder if this ingriedient is the reason why I get a gooey like lather with soaps like PAA and barrister and mann. PAA is easier to lather for me than barrister and mann. I wondering if anyone else has experienced a gooey like lather with either barrister or PAA or any other artisan that uses the ingriedient kokum butter?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
A couple of things might help us answer your question. How old is the Tub of Terror and how about some photos to show us exactly what you are talking about? A picture is worth a thousand words.

A couple of things might help us answer your question. How old is the Tub of Terror and how about some photos to show us exactly what you are talking about? A picture is worth a thousand words.
the tub is not that old. maybe 2 or 3 years. I wouldn't call that old. there have been some who have had issues with lathering barrister and mann and I believe I read somewhere that Will (owner of barrister and mann) has said that his soaps take longer to lather correctly. I did add a ton of water. I did buy a new puck of the bay rum (excelsior base) and I will try lathering that to see how it goes.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’m a big B&M fan. I don’t use a ton of water. I take a mildly wet brush, and shake out a good bit of the water. Then I load aggressively for 20 to 25 seconds max for Exclesior based soaps. Then I usually face lather. But the same technique applies to bowl lathering as well. Lather vigorously for 5 to 10 seconds. Then add a teaspoon’s worth of water at a time every 5 to 10 seconds until you reach the desired consistency. A single teaspoon of water, and no more. Keep doing it until you get that nice light yogurt consistency. Keep adding a teaspoon of water, no more, and lather for 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat until you are happy with the lather. Use a measuring spoon if you can’t measure out a teaspoon without it. Too much water and you wash out the soap. Do this and report back. The only difference between face lather and bowl, is that for face lather, I add the water directly to the brush. Bowl lather it just goes in the bowl. It may take you a full couple of minutes to get it right. But after a while you will get it down and do it quick. It takes me less than a minute to load the brush and lather excelsior. Good luck.

i find sometimes if ive not used a particular soap for a while ( 2/3 years ) when i do come to use it, i will simply allow warm water to sit ontop of the puck for a minute or so. Then tip away. For me that brings the soap back to life and your good to go. Anything than a year or less since its been last used i just lather straight off the puck and its perfectly fine.

Top Bottom