What's new

Issue with WCS silvertip brush

Am I the only one who has had negative feedback from them? For their price, you can't beat it. $43 for Silvertip?!

Well for me it is that, the brush just doesn't absorb a lot of water and cream/soap for several pass shave. I have to constantly add to after every pass. I can take a quarter sized amount of the best creams out there and only have enough for one pass. I have add more product or more cream. It just dries out if it sits out.

I guess that's why they're so cheap.

Mine is pretty awesome. It is a lather hog relative to my Omega but I have no complaints about lather or water retention.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

This is what it looks like

Attachments

• B&B 1.jpg
    B&B 1.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 44
  • B&B 2.jpg
    B&B 2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 45
  • B&B 3.jpg
    B&B 3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 48
  • B&B 4.jpg
    B&B 4.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 45
While I've got a couple of really great performing synthetics, I also have a genuinely cheap Best Badger I ordered from an E-Bay seller in China. It absorbs plenty of water to give me thick, dense lather to do 3 full passes with any soap or creme I own. It's truly impressive.
I can't imagine paying 40 clams for a brush and calling it "cheap". The only advantage to a spendy brush is the bigger knot & glitzier handle.
A lot of you newbies think that throwing mo' money at your gear will give you a better shave - but it just ain't so.

While I've got a couple of really great performing synthetics, I also have a genuinely cheap Best Badger I ordered from an E-Bay seller in China. It absorbs plenty of water to give me thick, dense lather to do 3 full passes with any soap or creme I own. It's truly impressive.
I can't imagine paying 40 clams for a brush and calling it "cheap". The only advantage to a spendy brush is the bigger knot & glitzier handle.
A lot of you newbies think that throwing mo' money at your gear will give you a better shave - but it just ain't so.

I just REALLY like the looks on some of those Shave Mac brushes. I've always lusted those brushes. The bulb-shaped brush is my preference and favorite.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Am I the only one who has had negative feedback from them? For their price, you can't beat it. $43 for Silvertip?!

Well for me it is that, the brush just doesn't absorb a lot of water and cream/soap for several pass shave. I have to constantly add to after every pass. I can take a quarter sized amount of the best creams out there and only have enough for one pass. I have add more product or more cream. It just dries out if it sits out.

I guess that's why they're so cheap.
Do you soak your badger knot before you use it at all ?
This what works for me, I will soak the brush knot in warm water for maybe 10 minutes
Then I shake out the water so that it is not dripping water . Load the soap or cream and add water as needed when building the lather
You do not need to smash the knot into your face at all, you want to keep the lather at the tips of the brush. You can always add water as you go , it makes it hard if you start out to wet .
Technique is important in wet Shaving is important in every phase from lather to knowing your Razor.
Is there a difference between cheep badger and the more expensive badgers yes , to a point. Do you need to spend 50,100, 300 on a brush .....no. it is what you like to feel on your face that matters. I prefer the 2 Band Badger from Maggard . The knot alone is about $ 30
For the regular 2 band and about $60 for the SHD (super high density) more Badger Hair.
I make my own handles and have tried really expensive knots but have settled on the Maggard knots. I have also used cheep knots and I found that they usually don't last and do not give me the full face feel when I lather that I am looking for. Again it is all about what you prefer and no one else knows what you want but you.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190914085303767_COVER.jpg

I got one from WCS on Friday It's a lather maker, Mounds of thick yogurt from 3 different soaps I tried during the day. Yesterday I did a head shave with Arko and had so much lather it was amazing. Totally satisfied. from pics it looks like 2 much pressure mine never loses it's bulb shape.

Quest,

I have one and had similar results as you. It took me two shampoo cleanings and a good 20 shaves before it now it performs as it should. I speculate it was coated with something. Lots of good advice on this page. Keep at it and I think it’ll come around for you!

I have a silvertip badger from WCS and have not had any problems with the amount of lather it makes and releases. I do have a preference for the Maggard 2 Band; it's not as dense but it has more backbone and does release lather a bit more easily.

Lather holding capacity depends on the diameter of the knot, the loft of the knot, the shape of the knot (fan knots will hold more lather than bulb knots), and the packing density of the knot.

The bigger the knot and the greater the density, the more badger hair is required. Thus, lower priced brushes generally are either smaller in diameter or have less density.

I have one of the Maggard Super High Density Two-band badger brushes. It is 28 mm in diameter and produces a huge volume of lather. However, just the knot itself costs $60. If I dropped back to 24mm, which is the size of the WCS knot, the Maggard SHD would cost $43 for the knot alone. An inexpensive handle is an additional $15. the Maggard brush is well worth the price. I have some other brushes costing over $150 and the Maggard is my favorite, even though it was half the price. However, if I had to do it again, I would only get a 26mm knot.

Tons of great advice in this thread! It always takes me awhile to ‘dial in’ a new brush to figure out how to get optimal performance.

Top Bottom