What's new

Israeli versus EU Personna blades

My face can't tell the difference between the German and Israeli Personnas. Both zero irritation, both too dull to be comfortable. If I want to shave without discomfort, the US-made Personnas cut it (Med and Lab feel the same to me).

My face can't tell the difference between the German and Israeli Personnas. Both zero irritation, both too dull to be comfortable. If I want to shave without discomfort, the US-made Personnas cut it (Med and Lab feel the same to me).

Interesting. The Israeli Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli reds) are one of my favorite blades. I find them to be both sharp and smooth. I have not tried Med Preps, but the Lab Blue Comfort Coated blades have such a thick coating that I find the first shave to be terrible; the blade is not nearly sharp enough. After the coating wears off, the blade is similar to the Israeli red. I have only tried a few of the German Personna Platinum blades. I could not tell a difference between them and the Israeli Reds, which for me is a great thing.

Hello Gentlemen,

I was finally able to track down a 10pk of the german Personna Platinum Chrome DE blades and try them out.

The results are NOT what I had expected.

For me, the german blades are NOT the same as the israeli Personna Platinum Chrome DE blades (not even close). They were very harsh, gave me nicks on my upper lip and irritation on my chin. They felt like the Walmart Wilkinsons that were available after WM dropped ASR many years ago. The Wally Wilks were the only (other) pack of blades that I discarded instead of passing the remaining blades along to someone else.

As a frame of reference, the israeli Platinum Chrome blades (both red 5pk and blue 10pk) are excellent blades for me and are closer to the (also discontinued) israeli Crystal Super+ Platinum blades.

That being said, my comments are only one data point. YMMV and all that!

Thanks,
Mike

...PS, the new (non-Israeli) Personna available in the UK was not bad for me, but it wasn't better than the old. I thought it was slightly "off".

It was like a German Wilkinson (subjectively a "not-bad, but second-choice" sort of blade), which would make sense, if it is being cranked out in the same factory.

Thanks, posters, you knew a whole lot more about the convoluted history of "Personna" than me.

I have used one or two of the new German Personnas, and it felt rough; which never happens to me with Israelis. That first time I then used a Med Prep, and now that is a smooth sharp and long lasting blade. Will never buy the Germans.....other better options

I live in Germany, and the "Made in Germany" DE blades options have traditionally confused me.

We have:
-ERBE Solingen Fresh
-ERBE Solingen
-Mühle
-Wilkinson Sword Classic
-Merkur Solingen (these are by far the most overprices across all vendors)
-Timor Solingen
-DOVO Solingen
-Truemorrow
-Razolution
-ELIOS

There was also the Rossmann drugstore option of ISANA MEN that was made in Germany (Croma Diamant), but then it switched to Vietnam (possibly DORCO).

And now there is also Personna in the mix, which is made in another factory altogether, or in one that makes some of the above blades?

Top Bottom