What's new

Israeli Personnas on eBay for 6.99

I just did a little searching and apparently there is some doubt as to whether these are really Israeli Personnas or just US ones. Oh well. We'll see how they shave.

Rue,

I've used a couple of these blades. One not so great, the other not so bad. I'm not convinced they are the "real deal". I contacted American Safety Razor over a week ago, and have yet to get ANY response from them. So I'll have to try a few more to make a decision.

Randy

I emailed this fellow and asked if all of the blades in the package are stamped "Made in Israel". He said they were. Does that provide any comfort that they're the real deal? I suppose the real test is quality and consistency.

Cheers,

Danny,

I have shaved with two of these blades. The first one was sad. The second one was decent. I'm still not convinced these are true "IP" blades. Tonight I contacted American Safety Razors for the second time, asking them to confirm where these blades are made. I'm still waiting for a reply.

Rany

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I bought 200 of these for $20 including shiping. They are only good for one shave on my face. I could get 2 shaves if I don't care about the results but 3 is right out.

One of the things I really don't like is the way the paper wrapper is glued on. The glue doesn't wipe off the blade like other blades. I don't want a big blob of glue to interfere with the way the blade sits in the razor or to run down to the edge as I am shaving. To remove the glue required a great deal of soaking. If I have to keep throughing out the bad ones on top of only getting one shave, these could easily be the most costly blades I have.

Ok, I have both the eBay mystery Personnas and the Israeli Personnas from letterk in front of me. Definitely not the same blade. Also, the eBay mystery Personnas do not look like the American Personnas they sell in Wal Mart either.

I did a little research on American Safety Razor (the owners of the Personna brand). They have three manufacturing facilities - one in the US (Tennessee), one in Israel, and one in Mexico.

The eBay mystery Personnas come in a package with instructions in English and SPANISH.

I think the "mystery" is solved.

RueTheDay said:
Ok, I have both the eBay mystery Personnas and the Israeli Personnas from letterk in front of me. Definitely not the same blade. Also, the eBay mystery Personnas do not look like the American Personnas they sell in Wal Mart either.

I did a little research on American Safety Razor (the owners of the Personna brand). They have three manufacturing facilities - one in the US (Tennessee), one in Israel, and one in Mexico.

The eBay mystery Personnas come in a package with instructions in English and SPANISH.

I think the "mystery" is solved.

Read my update here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5501

Hopefully I can get the real story on Tuesday.

Randy

RueTheDay said:
Interesting. I look forward to finding out what you hear back.

Oddly, the UPC code "024500131118" does not register a hit on the UPC database (www.upcdatabase.com) as an actual product, but the manuf prefix (24500) is definitely American Safety Razor.

I got an email back from Ms. Blythe today stating that they did check out the forums and found them quite interesting.

Randy

Randy,

I for one want to thank you for your initiative in this. Not only are your efforts clearing up an "issue" that I helped create but, you have managed to bring the forums to the attention of a major company in the grooming industry and as such the forums may be a source of information and influence to them in future product offerings.

THANKS AGAIN

olkev said:
Randy,

I for one want to thank you for your initiative in this. Not only are your efforts clearing up an "issue" that I helped create but, you have managed to bring the forums to the attention of a major company in the grooming industry and as such the forums may be a source of information and influence to them in future product offerings.

THANKS AGAIN

Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Randy

Rue,

I did not get a chance to call today. It was my day off, and too many errands came up. Hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow, Thursday morning at the latest.

Randy

I'm scheduled to speak with a Mr. Hacohen next Tuesday about this matter. He was out of the office and kindly replied to my email via his Blackberry.

Randy

I shaved with one. It's not a bad shave, but not remarkable. I'd put it on par with a Merkur. Then again, I don't really find the Israeli Personnas I got as part of the letterk sampler pack to be any better than a Merkur either. The only blade that really stands out from the others in a significant way is the Feather. IMO, the differences between the Merkur, Personna, and Derby are very slight, certainly not at the level that some make them out to be. The Feather on the other hand is different, there's no mistaking the fact that it's way sharper than all the others.

I haven't tried the Swedish Gillette blade yet, but I will next weekend.

Top Bottom