What's new

Isosceles Stance Vs. Weaver Stance

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Great post David. :) I read something online a while back also, that some people may not have realized about Jeff Cooper. In the hard Weaver stance many saw Cooper, with his left, support arm elbow bent, pointing towards the ground, so they immediately think, that is part of the Weaver.

But the story goes, that Cooper taught his gunsite class, that the proper Weaver was the bladed position, but also both arms including the support arm were absolutely straight. He explained to his students, that he kept his support arm bent, because an old combat injury kept him from straightening it out.

OkieStubble

Just as an aside, having been a performer for over 40 years and teaching low brass for going on 35, how much training/practice with firearms resembles training/practice to learn and master an instrument. When I'm teaching a lesson I have to bite my tongue sometimes to not make a shooting analogy.

Perfect analogy Mark. Combat Pistolcraft is indeed as much of a learned discipline, as is playing an instrument well or spending your life learning the art of Kung FU. So how well you do in these disciplines, totally depends on how much of a disciple you are in them.

You know when you see one of these disciples, the minute they pick up and handle a gun.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and Mike, stop whining about your poor accuracy! I can't see well enough to do that these days either. Face it, your getting old! LOL! (You're probably right about variable grip causing the horizontal drift.)

That's it!!! I didn't have my glasses on!

Just kidding...I knew my grip was responsible for the flyers...I just need get out shooting more. Although I do think the sights are off on my Smith...I need to get a screwdriver out and adjust them. Oh wait, it's a 681 and doesn't have adjustable sights...must be the ammo.

It's really great to get to hear all of you guys beginnings and past experiences. Your stories show all the up and coming modern tactical ninja's, that while you can modify and improve somewhat on the teachings of the older generation such as Fairbanks, Cooper, Wilson, etc.

They still new what they were doing and created the fundamental, permanent foundations of modern combat, that has stood the test of time and will be with us forever.

Yeah Rob, some of the basics never change. I don't know if you've been in eastern Okie Land, but I used to ride my horse through the hilly terrain in N.E. Ok. when I was a kid. Got a bit warm under the trees. I'm sure you have heard of the Three Guardsmen. It must have been tough going through that terrain with only a wagon for supplies and a few other people with you. I wonder if they learned the Weaver stance back then. :lol:

I go through the Sans Bois Mountains quite a bit when I go up to see Mom. It can be a nasty drive in the winter when the roads are icy and snow is blowing over the road...nasty stuff, even on the Indian Nation turnpike on the way to McAlester. Gee, that reminds me of the True Grit movie.

Oh, we have about a five foot tall statue of Bass Reeves on the stairway landing between the District Court and County Court rooms at the courthouse here. He was stationed here for a short time. I couldn't find a pic. online; it's of him with a flowing duster and a double barreled shotgun. I'll take a pic. next time I'm at the courthouse. I saw an article about him in a gun rag awhile back and thought...tttthhh...we've known that for years here.

Now I want to go up to Robber's Cave.

Once the weather cools off a bit I think I'll go back up to Wilburton to Robber's Cave. Been going there since I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCmavfigHhs

OkieStubble

That's it!!! I didn't have my glasses on!

Just kidding...I knew my grip was responsible for the flyers...I just need get out shooting more. Although I do think the sights are off on my Smith...I need to get a screwdriver out and adjust them. Oh wait, it's a 681 and doesn't have adjustable sights...must be the ammo.

Yeah Rob, some of the basics never change. I don't know if you've been in eastern Okie Land, but I used to ride my horse through the hilly terrain in N.E. Ok. when I was a kid. Got a bit warm under the trees. I'm sure you have heard of the Three Guardsmen. It must have been tough going through that terrain with only a wagon for supplies and a few other people with you. I wonder if they learned the Weaver stance back then. :lol:

I go through the Sans Bois Mountains quite a bit when I go up to see Mom. It can be a nasty drive in the winter when the roads are icy and snow is blowing over the road...nasty stuff, even on the Indian Nation turnpike on the way to McAlester. Gee, that reminds me of the True Grit movie.

Oh, we have about a five foot tall statue of Bass Reeves on the stairway landing between the District Court and County Court rooms at the courthouse here. He was stationed here for a short time. I couldn't find a pic. online; it's of him with a flowing duster and a double barreled shotgun. I'll take a pic. next time I'm at the courthouse. I saw an article about him in a gun rag awhile back and thought...tttthhh...we've known that for years here.

Now I want to go up to Robber's Cave.

Once the weather cools off a bit I think I'll go back up to Wilburton to Robber's Cave. Been going there since I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCmavfigHhs

I have heard of the Three Guardsmen. Those real life stories of the past, read like a Louis L'Amour novel. I have been to Robber's Cave on several camping trips with family and friends. We used to swing by there for a day of hiking and exploring, before heading on our way to Tenkiller lake to set up camp.

It's been a while, probably time to go back as soon as I retire and take the next generation. (Grand Kids) :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah, I'd like to go back to Robber's Cave when it cools off a bit, but I think we're going to the Dalton Days in Coffeyville this year.

I had to go pick up some court records today so I snapped a pic. of the Bass Reeves statue. It was kinda dark and the flash didn't go off. I'll get some more next time and see if I can force the flash. Is he doing a modified Weaver? :biggrin1:

I'd like to go to the U.S. Marshals Museum in Ft. Smith when they get it finished. John Moore was a Deputy Marshal for this District when I was with the P.D. He'd come up and help out when we had warrant roundups. But everybody wanted to get in on the fun: Alcohol Beverage Commission Agents, State Troopers, the local Texas Ranger, Sheriff's Office, Constables, the dog catcher. Oh wait, the dog catcher wasn't commissioned.

Ooops, sorry for the derail.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I know that I'm necro-posting, but a lot of great discussion in this thread! Since I'm a new pistol shooter, I've been going through a lot of the older posts and trying to take what I can from these threads. Plenty of good information here.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I know that I'm necro-posting, but a lot of great discussion in this thread! Since I'm a new pistol shooter, I've been going through a lot of the older posts and trying to take what I can from these threads. Plenty of good information here.

That's the spirit! Use a Weaver and Isosceles both and see which one is most comfortable to you for range shooting. Once you get comfortable then try some awkward positions, and point shooting, and see how you do. Takes a bit of practice.

Top Bottom