What's new

Isopropyl Alcohol on Blades

Alcohol can displace the water and keep rust from forming on the blade as well. I take everything apart and dry it off but I understand some will dunk the razor in alcohol after using it to remove the water.
That's why I dip blades in rubbing alcohol.

I have a RAZOBRITE BATH crock that is filled with isopropyl alcohol. I rinse my razor with water then put it in the crock as I finish cleaning up, pull it out give it a shack and hang it up.
0943632A-ED5D-431C-A5AE-2CD41FB73E6F_1_201_a.jpeg

I used to give my razors a quick dunk in some alcohol to displace water and prevent blade rust. Im not so worried about disinfecting them, as Im the only one using it but it does help to prevent rust.

Certainly food for thought. But I think that it might not be good for the mechanism in a TTO razor.

Personally, I take my three piece razor apart after every shave. I rinse off the blade and all three pieces of the razor, then dry everything off. I then hand strop the blade and reassemble it all. I tighten the razor down on the blade and then put it in the stand for tomorrow’s shave.

I’m not sure stropping the blade does any good, but it surely doesn’t hurt.

I will immerse blades with a lot of wax on them in alcohol for 10-15 minutes. It seems to help it from adding gunk to the razor head.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I once in a while I like to dip my razor head in the alcohol bath(Small wide mouth mason jar) For my blades if possible I like to remove and tap dry and place on a business magnetic card modified to size of blades. A easy way to dry your blade is just blow off the water which is the enemy to any blade.

IPA might remove the
(sprayed) PTFE layer of a DE razor blade.

That’s interesting! Do you have more information about that? What about other coatings? I have, too, used IPA to desinfect blades before first usage, when the tuck has been damaged. I got a whole slew of tucks in a blade sampler some years ago (I think the one from Connaught’s) where many of the shrink-wrapped tucks had the cellophane ripped. I don’t trust hygiene articles that are not pristine.

Top Bottom