What's new

ISO LATHERING HELP! Always ONE pass???

First, if you're reading this, thank you.

So I took the plunge and bought the Simpson Ch2 Super. (By the way, the Simpson's label-thingy fell off on my first shave. I saved it, and I'd love to know if there's any way to put it back on permanently without damaging the handle!)

Today I had the worst crap-lather that I've ever had, and it really highlighted a problem that I've had with all my brushes... I slathered on some Proraso pre-shave cream, which I like because it's a nice pre-shave lube, but not an oil. Then I took a nice dollup of Nancy Boy cream and put it on the soaked tips of my new Chubby. (Before that, I did the usual routine of letting it soak in my scuttle while I was in the shower, and I re-soaked with fresh piping hot water from my tap.)

The initial lather is always pretty good. I like to lather on my face, so I did that. It was nice, thick, peaks and that good stuff. I then put the brush with all the lather in the scuttle to keep hot. Did pass one.

Guess what. I go to do pass number 2 and after I attempt a sorry excuse for cream application, there's just some translucent bubbles on my face dripping off. :confused:
The inside of the scuttle was pretty much dry, so the problem is not that I'm dipping the lather in water, watering it down...

This has happened with pretty much every brush and cream that I've used- from the T&H Ultimate to the three Ts traditional creams.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? The only thing that I can think of is that maybe I'm not using enough cream? Because it can't be that I'm using too much water. No matter what brush I use, I give it a pretty good shake. I mean, this morning with the Chubby it was as if there was no cream left on the brush at all. So, like many or most mornings, I end up having to RE-LATHER FOR EVERY FREAKIN' PASS! Not only does that waste cream, but it takes time and allows my face to do two bad things: dry and cool. After doing everything I can to keep it wet and hot.

Any assistance you can lend would be great. How much cream do you gents put on the brush? Posting a picture might be helpful, if not too much trouble. I don't expect to get enough lather for four or five passes (but that'd be nice), but why not even two or three???

I only hope someday I can take the time and care that you gentlemen have in assisting each other, and assist some other poor dope like myself!

NYL,

First about the Simpsons decal; i have covered my decals with translucent/opaque nail polish in order to conserve them; i 've however no experience with re-applying a fallen off decal, but what you could do is apply some nailpolish, then place the decal back and polish again.

About lather building: maybe you should build lather in a bowl instead of on your face; i use just a dollop of cream, let my brush drip out and make frequent swirls in my shaving bowl until i get that typical meringue like substantion such as a good lather should look like.
Shake your brush out very well; you can allways ad more water to it afterwards,not distract it......

This way you should DEFINITELY be able to make a very good lather everytime, everyplace, with every brush; there's one execption though: maybe you're living in a region where the water is so damn hard, that you'll keep on having trouble to make a good lather; dunno if this is the case, but the fact is that water hardness is the cause in many cases of getting problems with building a good lather.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Ben:

I'm in total agreement with DrP! First, try building your lather in a bowl. I usually have cream left over after 4 passes. Second, don't skimp on the cream. Use a decent size dollop (larger than almond size) until you get the hang of building a decent lather. Give your brush a good shake as it's easier to add water than to remove water. Whip it in the bowl for a full minute or so to get plenty of volume. Third, it very well could be your water quality like the good doctor said. You might try buying a gallon of distilled water and give the entire process a try using it. This should give you an idea if it's the water or not. I'd try the first two suggestions first just to see if it's technique. Let us know.

The Simpson's decal on my Duke 2 fell off the first time I used it. The stickers are still on my Polo 8 and PJ2 after quite a few uses. Go figure!

Ben,
THe only thing I can add to the sage advice of Peter and Jerry (SOUND LIKE A BRITISH 60'S ROCK GROUP?) is a technique that I use for getting the amount of cream correct. Because the size of the brush dictates the amount of water held, therefore the amount of cream required, I use the Poke and Twist methodology. After removing a well-soaked brush from the hot water in the lathering bowl, I allow it to stop dripping, and then poke it into the surface of the cream, give it a slight twist, empty the lather bowl, and then beat the cream into a lather. THis technique seems to invariably give me an adequate mix ratio.

Your problem is a common one, and is being exacerbated by a new brush and the use of Nancy Boy. But have no fear! Good lather is forthcoming. Here is your prescription:

(1) Use more cream, especially with Nancy Boy. Finger out a good glob and don't be shy.

(2) Shake out your brush very well before adding said cream. Start whipping it up and add a few dribs or drabs of water as you go to get a good consistency.

I would use a bowl or cup if I were you - life will be much easier.

You've all been very helpful... I can't wait to give it another go tomorrow morning. But wait I will.

You've all recommended using a bowl/cup/mug. I have two possible recepticles: a Moss/ sarah Bonnyman scuttle and a Shavemac "mug", although it has no handle. Is size a concern? Every time I've tried to actually create the lather in the Moss scuttle, I've gotten nothing but watery bubbles. I will absolutely try to use more cream and less water, but I'm afraid the scuttle is too small to move the brush around... Conversely, the Shavemac mug that I have is fairly large. Whenever I've tried to use that, I felt like the brush was too small for the space inside the mug- even with my 38mm Shavemac!

Obviously I'd prefer to use the Moss scuttle because of the built-in warming chamber... I'm just wondering whether the bowl part allows enough room for the brush to move. I guess I'm asking about swirling/mashing? technique here. Rather than ask you to reinvent the wheel and type something that's probably out there somewhere (unless you don't mind doing that): Specifically, can you direct me to any old threads or sites that would give some specific instruction as to what I should be doing in the bowl? Proportions of the brush to the bowl?

You might check this out for some inspiration.

As for bowls, get a cereal bowl from your kitchen and start with that. As for waiting until tomorrow, there is no time like the present! Get in there and practice, practice, practice! Who says you can only lather when you are shaving? What are you going to do, waste a nickel of shave cream? :wink: :cool:

Hey Scotto,

You're about to take a plane within a few hours from now: have a good flight and stop by in Halsteren, where i live!!

Peter

Scotto said:
You might check this out for some inspiration.

As for bowls, get a cereal bowl from your kitchen and start with that. As for waiting until tomorrow, there is no time like the present! Get in there and practice, practice, practice! Who says you can only lather when you are shaving? What are you going to do, waste a nickel of shave cream? :wink: :cool:

Ben:

I too use a cereal bowl so I have plenty of room to swirl the brush. Too small of a container and I just can't achieve the results I like. I agree with Scotto, waste a little soap and practice!

...some specific instruction as to what I should be doing in the bowl?

Generally speaking the thread above is helpful when talking about how to use the equipment, but as for how I use my brush while lathering, here's my process:

• Soak brush in a mug in hot-pot-warmed water (steaming a little but not boiling).
  • Shower & dry off.
  • Fill my bowl (actually a soup mug) with hot tap water to warm it.
  • (For tube) squeeze out about an inch of cream.
  • (For tub) poke & twist, but with a drier brush than Ron and Scotto recommend.
  • Dump bowl out and add about a tablespoon of fresh water to the bowl.
  • Begin whipping--I'm right-handed, and find clockwise to be the easier whipping stroke. Every 10 to 15 whips I do 3-5 counterclockwise whips and "pump" the brush against the bottom of the bowl once or twice to be sure I load the brush fully--you don't want any dry bristles in the middle!
  • Check the look of the lather. If there's any clumping of bristles or chalkiness I add a dribble of water from my hot pot.
  • Repeat until I have meringuelike, glossy lather.
-Rich

Posh Rich... THANK you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I read the thread that Scotto recommended when I first signed up, and I read it again today when he linked to it, but it's not all that specific. (As he said, it's very good for "inspiration!")

Having said that, I feel like I've tried what you recommended, but I'll give it another go with more cream. It also appears that the more experienced of you have more success dipping the (non-dripping) brush directly into the tub, when applicable. I'll try that tomorrow a.m. and see how it flies. I've always scooped out or fingered out a dab or dollop and wiped it on the tips. I suppose by dipping the brush the cream may get deeper into the bristles? We'll see.

As always, this advice and guidance is invaluable. I'm gettin' there.

Top Bottom