What's new

ISO: Hair Clippers

One thing I've learned during the past year or so is that the girls in my home do not care what my hair looks like. I have a cordless beard trimmer that has been used a few times to buzz my head whenever it gets unbearable to me. However, being cordless and really designed for a beard, the battery life is only JUST enough. As in we start getting the flashing red warning light about 3/4 through the haircut. I'm wondering if a dedicated set would be worthwhile.

So, any recommendations? Current thoughts are:
1) Cordless preferred. We typically do this outside so that cleanup is easier. I have exterior outlets, but let's see if there are cordless offerings first.
2) Battery life. I'm not looking to win any style awards...but I dont want to be walking around with a half haircut because the damn things ran out.
3) Setting Confidence. I have ended up practically shaved because the guard was set incorrectly after clearing it out. So, if the guard can either be cleared without removal OR it's not adjustable, that'd probably be better.

Hope this is in the right sub-thread. This is the BarberShop, right? :D

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

Take a look at this thread. I would go corded, cordless are fine for as long as they last, but they do not last, and there is no comparison with the power. Wahl or Oster would be my choice - the proverbial no brainer.

I had been getting a #1 or 1.5 buzz (in winter) at my barber for years. When covid closed the barbers in our nanny state in March 2020, I got a Mangroomer Pro off amazon. Easy to use and it worked great for buzzing my own. A couple months ago I got bored and ordered a Limural Hair Clipper. I hate it. I should have listened to my golden rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You didn't say how much you were willing to spend. Getting a more professional oriented model is more expensive, but they are much better quality.

For cordless, I'd probably go with the Wahl Magic Clip. There is also a cordless version of the Senior clipper, but that is fairly expensive.

For corded, I'd go with the Wahl 5-Star Seniors which is what I got at the start of the Covid-19 mess. No regrets. The cord is quite heavy-duty and plenty long. You can always use an extension cord.

For Wahl, you will want a good set of guide combs (aka guards) if they are not included. Wahl makes a set that are color coded which is fine for home use. They also have a set of "premium guide combs" that have metal clips. They do feel like they are higher quality but the results in the end are about the same.

I got the Wahl Cordless Five Star Senior clippers. Now I buzz my head every week with the 1/2 guard. Works very well and is a quality unit for sure. The 5 Star Senior also come with three of Wahl's premium guards, 1/2, 1 and 11/2. I will never use standard all plastic guards again.

Wahl Five Star Senior Cordless.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Oster Fast Feed has served me well
I used Fast Feed professionally for probably 30 plus years, and still cut my own hair with the attachments.

You can get cheaper (or pay more, as in the "76" model) in the Wahl brand, but if you pay a little more upfront you won't be sad later.

Cordless? That might come in handy, but a dead battery in the middle of a haircut could make you look bad!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I used Fast Feed professionally for probably 30 plus years, and still cut my own hair with the attachments.

You can get cheaper (or pay more, as in the "76" model) in the Wahl brand, but if you pay a little more upfront you won't be sad later.

Cordless? That might come in handy, but a dead battery in the middle of a haircut could make you look bad!
Glad to hear the fast feed can last!

I made the same conclusion about corded, it's one less failure point, and the battery space can fit a more powerful engine.

Andiis clipper guards make the fast feed much better

Wahl works just fine on this end. Found a pro set in a zipped case with a bunch of extras, minus gauges. Had to order them online. They cost more than the clippers in the thrift store!
I decided decades ago I wasn’t going to allow fruitcakes to caress my head any more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

My ONLY problem with Wahl clippers, and it might have been my fault, was the blades easily got out of alignment, for ME.

Heaven forbid if I dropped them! I dropped every brand of clippers known to humankind, and not once did Osters have to be realigned. I dropped my Andi's T-liner on day one and they never were the same. And they weren't cheap!

I had those Oster Fast Feed clippers so long I had to replace the cord, twice, but the blades only once; they seemed to stay sharp as long as I used blade wash and kept them oiled.

I bought these about a year ago, haven't had a problem yet. Amazon.com : Remington HC5850 Virtually Indestructible Haircut Kit & Beard Trimmer, Hair Clippers for Men (15 pieces), Colors Vary : Hair Cutting Kits : Beauty - https://www.amazon.com/Remington-HC5850-Virtually-Indestructible-Clippers/dp/B00BB5YHFC/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=hair+clippers&qid=1627014464&rdc=1&sr=8-29

I also started with beard trimmers, and moving up to real clippers was night and day. Corded doesn't bother me, running out of charge midway through a cut does :)

FarmerTan

I'll have to go check those out...

Whatever you buy, I recommend you buy the professional grade clippers. Like others have said. They're just better quality.

Oster. They're professional grade. Heavy duty. I would go corded. Battery ones don't last.
Oster. They're professional grade. Heavy duty. I would go corded. Battery ones don't last.
I concur. I have an Oster76 that must be 15 years old at least. It’s built like a tank. I guess that’s why old school barbers use them. There are no guards. You just change the blades. I have 4, a 1, a 1a, 1.5 and a 2.
It makes a buzz cut a breeze. You could do it blindfolded and not mess it up.

I concur. I have an Oster76 that must be 15 years old at least. It’s built like a tank. I guess that’s why old school barbers use them. There are no guards. You just change the blades. I have 4, a 1, a 1a, 1.5 and a 2.
It makes a buzz cut a breeze. You could do it blindfolded and not mess it up.
Old school barbers use them mainly for bulk cutting. If you are going to do a buzz cut, that is all you need. To do finer tapers and fades, other types of clippers or scissors are often used.

Wahl. My wife has been cutting my hair every two weeks with the predecessor to this model for over 15 years. Strong motor, reliable, easy adjustment and maintenance. Results are good.

We had to replace the little battery trimmer around year 10. A floor drop killed it.

Top Bottom