What's new

Isn't it strange: you can buy the blades, but not the razors

When I'm in a grocery store or drug store I always look at the shaving gear. Almost every store I've checked stocks double-edge blades, and many of them stock injector blades.

Someone is buying these blades. If the blades didn't sell, the stores wouldn't be putting them on the shelf, and Schick, Personna, and the others wouldn't be making them.

So it's strange that you can't buy a double edge razor at a neighborhood store. I can think of some reasons that Gillette and Schick don't make DE razors, but I haven't thought of any good reasons. (I work for a large company, and I know that companies don't always have good explanations for what they do. A lot of things are best explained by inertia.)

I hope the NWC Injector is a sign of things to come.

I would imagine the fact that the razors are so well made in general means they don't get replaced that often.

Shelf space costs money and for a niche product like the blades you are not talking too much space for a highly disposable commodity. The razors on the other hand...
Heck even the modern cheapo razors last for a darn long time. People generally replace them when they switch blades. Of course RAD helps in that regard but it seems the general public is not infected ;)

Just look at the reviews for the Bic Metal online. People on the boards tend to rave about them for a travel razor but the general public hates them (complain of torn up faces). I imagine people simply assume the razor would hold the angle for them and ran into trouble that way but could have a similar issue with injectors/DEs.

When I was in a local apothacary a few months back buying Schick Injector blades, an older gentleman was making the same purchase and we had a short discussion. He said has used the same razor for the last 40 or so years, maybe longer, and said, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." He mentioned his disdain for the newer Gillettes and Schicks, I think he called them 4 bladed monstrocities, but was impressed that I, a young whipersnapper by his accounts, would know anything about Injectors, much less double edge or straight razors.

But when I mentioned our website, I could tell he started to get a little testy as a lot of older folk don't like the newest craze of the INTERNET, so I dropped it. But I still remember meeting with him fondly.

BTW, he also picked up a cake of Williams Shave Soap (and aquavelva, yeck). Just think what he would have done if I introduced him to Mr. George Trumper or Mr. Truefitt and Hill!!

My wife still has a hard time wrapping her head around the idea that you can buy the blades almost anywhere, but there's nary a razor to be found except on the Internet.

I myself have a hard time coming up with any other similar situation...

-Warr

They keep making the parts long after they stop making the car.

The only mildly similar situation that jumps to mind.

wernst said:
I myself have a hard time coming up with any other similar situation...

-Warr

Point. You can still buy parts for a 1st generation Ford Mustang 40+ years later, and almost always cheaper than the comparable part for a new car. And, very unfortunately, IMO, they no longer make the thing....

About the razors, though, it's not like they aren't sold new, just not as widely as the blades. But that isn't really that odd, since you only need one DE for life (yeah right - but true in principle), and a blade has to be replaced at least once a week.

geoff said:
They keep making the parts long after they stop making the car.

The only mildly similar situation that jumps to mind.

Yes, but it is usually an aftermarket company that makes the part for the older car. This might explain why it is usually a store brand that is for sale in our local stores.

I did however see Gillette DE blades in my local Walgreen's today $8.99 for a pack of ten:eek:

Jim Thompson said:
I did however see Gillette DE blades in my local Walgreen's today $8.99 for a pack of ten:eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And for a blade that almost everyone confirms is crap.... probably right next to a pack of personnas for half the price that would be more than twice as good.

moses said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And for a blade that almost everyone confirms is crap.... probably right next to a pack of personnas for half the price that would be more than twice as good.

Yep, Walgreens branded blades, with a handy sticker that showed you how much you would save by buying the store brand.

..If my local supermarket would carry any blade, even a bad blade would be good. Here in little ol´Sweden you cant find DE blades anywhere. Maybe if your lucky the odd barber has some left.. I have to buy everything of the internet.

So if you were looking for Mach3 heaven you found it, its here in Sweden. I dont think I know anyone who shaves with a DE (apart from my 2 collegues at work who I lured into shavers-heaven :lol: )

/Thomas

Its also likely that since the razor blade has multiple applications beyond shaving (painters tools; cleaning glass; etc.) that it retains its place on store shelves.

And I'm guessing they stock it in the shaving aisle because that's where people would assume they belong.:biggrin:

mrob said:
Its also likely that since the razor blade has multiple applications beyond shaving (painters tools; cleaning glass; etc.) that it retains its place on store shelves.

That's certainly true for the single-edge blades. And, possibly, for the injectors.

But if you try to scrape paint off a window with a double-edge blade you'll find your window quickly turns red from your blood!

Top Bottom