What's new

Is washing my face with cleanser twice a day overkill?

...or is it the norm? I've been doing this routine for about 5 years thinking it was the norm and I think it's finally starting to show some wear and tear. My face is getting drier but not too overly dry. I'm using an Aveeno cleanser that my wife buys in bulk and it has worked for me all this time. I absolutely hate using moisturizer so that is out of the question.

My main question is, is rinsing my face with just water in the mornings enough or is it time to finally look for a new cleanser?

Last edited:
Depends how much your face needs to be cleaned, how aggressive your cleanser is and your skin type. Unless you get filthy every day (auto-mechanic, gardener, engineer etc.), I think it's probably a little too much. That said, if you're not getting super-dry or irritated skin, i doubt it's really doing you much harm.

I always used to wash my face with soap or facewash twice a day since I can get filthy at work, but I now just wash with soap in the morning when I shave and plain warm/hot water at night. My skin has improved as a result of this. For my skin type, I was definitely overcleansing and overexfoliating - perhaps try a weekend away from the cleanser and see how you feel?

I feel exactly the same was as you do about moisturisers - the fact that they're now marketing them as something that everyone should be using is, I think, totally wrong. They should be for people with dry skin or patches of dry skin, period. People without dry skin issues shouldn't have to moisturise, and in 99.99% of cases in my experience, it's better if they don't.

I think it really depends on your skin type. Gents, with dry skin, should probably only wash their face once per day. Gents with combination skin can wash their face once and rinse their face with water midday. Gents with oily skin can wash their face once and use a toner at midday to get rid of oil.

2x a day with a gentle cleanser shouldn't be overkill. maybe you are using too much cleanser? try using a smaller amount of cleanser and tepid water (not warm or hot water) and see if your face stays hydrated longer.

if your a coal-miner then no, but then again those guys washed with carbolic/coal tar soap and sundays was bath night

I wash my face in the shower in the morning and then I wash at night with a very gentle cleanser before bed.

I follow the evening wash with a moisturizing agent, though.

Last edited:
I'm with Kingfiser on this - I was in the shower and/or exfoliate scrub every other day, and I wash in the eve before bed. I always follow up with whatever's needed (astringent, sometimes a moisturizer, sometimes just witchhazel). Just pay attention to your skin, and listen to what it tells you...you'll know if you're overdoing it if you dry out, peel, have redness, etc.

Unless you're oily, it's enough just to rinse with water in the morning. You have only been laying on a pillow. During the day you have pollution, have been touching your face and have "general grime" that should be removed at night.

First since this is your first and only post I'll say welcome to the B&B! We look forward to hearing from you. Second, I'll agree with Austin...

I think it really depends on your skin type. Gents, with dry skin, should probably only wash their face once per day. Gents with combination skin can wash their face once and rinse their face with water midday. Gents with oily skin can wash their face once and use a toner at midday to get rid of oil.

+1

I usually wash my face in the morning while in the shower with Kiehl's facial fuel cleanser and use facial fuel moisturizer after shaving. I'll wash and moisturize again with the same products around 4PM after my afternoon workout. Later in the evening before going to bed, I will apply some witch hazel to clear any dirt or oil and apply more moisturizer. I use a scrub twice a week.

Unless you're oily, it's enough just to rinse with water in the morning. You have only been laying on a pillow. During the day you have pollution, have been touching your face and have "general grime" that should be removed at night.

That's very interesting.

I have dry facial skin, andI've noticed that if I'm using my (very gentle) face wash during my morning shower, my skin is drier than usual; I moisturize afterwards but I have to use more lotion than usual.
If I take my shower before bed (or after the gym) instead of the morning, I use my face wash at the sink the next morning; in this case, my face is less dry than usual.

Showers are usually more drying; plus, I think that some of the lather dripping from the shampoo on your hair already does a little cleansing on the face.

That's very interesting.

I have dry facial skin, andI've noticed that if I'm using my (very gentle) face wash during my morning shower, my skin is drier than usual; I moisturize afterwards but I have to use more lotion than usual.
If I take my shower before bed (or after the gym) instead of the morning, I use my face wash at the sink the next morning; in this case, my face is less dry than usual.

Showers are usually more drying; plus, I think that some of the lather dripping from the shampoo on your hair already does a little cleansing on the face.

Yes, showers are drying and so it's best to turn down the temperature and limit the time if you tend to be dry. You're correct about the shampoo. Some men wind up breaking out around the forehead area because of the shampoo ingredients being too harsh.

Yes, showers are drying and so it's best to turn down the temperature and limit the time if you tend to be dry. You're correct about the shampoo. Some men wind up breaking out around the forehead area because of the shampoo ingredients being too harsh.

Usually, my morning showers are a bit hotter than the evening ones; that true mostly in winter though.
So, if it's cold in the morning, I have to take hotter showers; so If I do that, I may want to skip the cleanser (even if it's really gentle)

The shampoo lather doesn't cause breakouts on my skin (nothing does actually), but It already does a little cleansing I think.

Last edited:
I scrub my forehead and nose in the shower first thing in the morning. The only other time soap touches my face is when I'm shaving. :)

Last edited:
I wish there was a "skin care FAQ". There's so much (mis-)info available, lots of it generated as advertisement.
I have used Neutrogena in the morning before shaving for years. I read that lots of folks like Zirh and Cetaphil, so I am trying the Zirh "Clean". Of course, the directions on the can say to use it 2x/day, followed by TWO other Z products....some kind of "vitamin serum" and a conditioner/protectant. One could spend a fortune!

Top Bottom