What's new

Is washing my face with cleanser twice a day overkill?

everyone is different.. I want to say YES! but I had oily skin growing up which I cursed all my life.. and grew up to have nicely moisturized skin with no effort. I will be 50 in a few weeks and think the spots have finally gone away.

Thing is... it depends on what you are using on your skin.. if it is something that is stripping the oils, you will get more oils back in retatiation. Best thing is to go with something natural and gentle.. at first it might seem you are doing yourself no good.. but months down the road there may be an Eureka!

USE REAL SOAP! Please! Do not use washes or scrubs or body cleansers, or moisturizing bath bars... soap.. soap soap is what you want. REAL soap.. if it doesn't say soap on the bar, don't use it... if it is milled.. the glycerin has been taken out. So use real unmilled soap only. I think all skin types will agree with this...

Bear Hugs

everyone is different.. I want to say YES! but I had oily skin growing up which I cursed all my life.. and grew up to have nicely moisturized skin with no effort. I will be 50 in a few weeks and think the spots have finally gone away.

Thing is... it depends on what you are using on your skin.. if it is something that is stripping the oils, you will get more oils back in retatiation. Best thing is to go with something natural and gentle.. at first it might seem you are doing yourself no good.. but months down the road there may be an Eureka!

USE REAL SOAP! Please! Do not use washes or scrubs or body cleansers, or moisturizing bath bars... soap.. soap soap is what you want. REAL soap.. if it doesn't say soap on the bar, don't use it... if it is milled.. the glycerin has been taken out. So use real unmilled soap only. I think all skin types will agree with this...

Bear Hugs

No

Sorry :biggrin:

What's the reasoning behind this? I'm aware that much of the rhetoric we hear disfavoring the use of soap for facial cleansing is marketing hype, and I don't assume it is all fact. Having said that, I use Nancy Boy facial cleanser and get great results with it.

What's the reasoning behind this? I'm aware that much of the rhetoric we hear disfavoring the use of soap for facial cleansing is marketing hype, and I don't assume it is all fact. Having said that, I use Nancy Boy facial cleanser and get great results with it.

I'm with you. I use NB facial cleanser, toner, and moisturizer and have had amazing results. Just plain soap can be very drying, then again plain soap CAN be better than an overly aggressive chemically heavy cleanser, but it is FAR from the end all be all cure everything prescription.

then again plain soap CAN be better than an overly aggressive chemically heavy cleanser, but it is FAR from the end all be all cure everything prescription.

It's all relative, isn't it? I find Clinique's liquid facial cleanser to be very drying, and find their mild facial soap to be much friendlier. But I'd take the NB any day over either.

Agreed. From the laundry list of skincare products I've tried, Nancy Boy really is the best value out there for the money. Now if they could just do something about their name and trademark symbol.:rolleyes:

...or is it the norm? I've been doing this routine for about 5 years thinking it was the norm and I think it's finally starting to show some wear and tear. My face is getting drier but not too overly dry. I'm using an Aveeno cleanser that my wife buys in bulk and it has worked for me all this time. I absolutely hate using moisturizer so that is out of the question.

My main question is, is rinsing my face with just water in the mornings enough or is it time to finally look for a new cleanser?
I wouldn't recommend just rinsing with water ever, as it does not exactly interact with the oils on your face. You don't want to be stripping your face of all the oils at all times but you want to control it so it doesn't ever get too oily. I use a very light natural cleanser wash in the mornings and Albolene moisturizing cleanser at night. Albolene successfully gets everything off my face at the end of the night and leaves my skin moisturized, as opposed to super dry like after using soap and water

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I sure hope after 8 years they got it figured out.

But if not, I'll just ad that the only thing I do to my face is rinse it with water in the shower. And I suppose it gets washed when I shave. Never had an acne problem. Maybe 2 or 3 pimples in my life.

Top Bottom