What's new

Is washing my face with cleanser twice a day overkill?

Definitly does depend on your skin type. If you have normal skin, once a day is plenty. Oily skin you should wash with something oil free, 1 or 2 times a day but still only if your face can handle it. Dry skin should be washed sparingly and prolly only with mild solution and water.

Make sure to use high quality products too.

I wish there was a "skin care FAQ". There's so much (mis-)info available, lots of it generated as advertisement.
I have used Neutrogena in the morning before shaving for years. I read that lots of folks like Zirh and Cetaphil, so I am trying the Zirh "Clean". Of course, the directions on the can say to use it 2x/day, followed by TWO other Z products....some kind of "vitamin serum" and a conditioner/protectant. One could spend a fortune!

It's funny you should mention Zirh and Cetaphil in the same sentence as Zirh is one of the 'harsher' or more chemically powerful facial cleansers and Cetaphil is known as one of the more gentle.

To chime in on what I do......

I'm a big believer in Nancy Boy skin care products (no affiliation, they just work great for me). I use the facial cleanser in the shower before I shave and follow the shave up with their Toner. At night, I rinse my face at the sink with lukewarm water and wipe with their Toner. FOR ME, this strikes the perfect balance of using something to effectively clean my skin without using something overly harsh that causes it to produce more sebum/oil than it should.

I think a big no-no a lot of guys make is washing their face with water that is TOO hot. Luke warm to medium warm is great. If the water is too hot, it stripes your face of natural oils and drys it out.

It's funny you should mention Zirh and Cetaphil in the same sentence as Zirh is one of the 'harsher' or more chemically powerful facial cleansers and Cetaphil is known as one of the more gentle.

To chime in on what I do......

I'm a big believer in Nancy Boy skin care products (no affiliation, they just work great for me). I use the facial cleanser in the shower before I shave and follow the shave up with their Toner. At night, I rinse my face at the sink with lukewarm water and wipe with their Toner. FOR ME, this strikes the perfect balance of using something to effectively clean my skin without using something overly harsh that causes it to produce more sebum/oil than it should.

I think a big no-no a lot of guys make is washing their face with water that is TOO hot. Luke warm to medium warm is great. If the water is too hot, it stripes your face of natural oils and drys it out.

It is drying, I agree.

But do you think warm water is enough to soften facial hair for shaving ?

I think the trick is to use water that is quite warm at first (but not painful to touch) and just keep it applied while you are holding the washcloth/towel to your face (if you're using Kyle's Prep) and let it soak for 1-3 minutes. I think many men feel that 'the hotter the better' and in the end, end up doing more harm than good.

I think the trick is to use water that is quite warm at first (but not painful to touch) and just keep it applied while you are holding the washcloth/towel to your face (if you're using Kyle's Prep) and let it soak for 1-3 minutes. I think many men feel that 'the hotter the better' and in the end, end up doing more harm than good.

I think so

I am trying the Zirh "Clean". Of course, the directions on the can say to use it 2x/day, followed by TWO other Z products....some kind of "vitamin serum" and a conditioner/protectant. One could spend a fortune!

Zirh is produced by the minions of Satan.

I personally only wash my face once per day and use an non alcohol toner as needed. Since I've been doing this my skin has improved dramatically.

I personally only wash my face once per day and use an non alcohol toner as needed. Since I've been doing this my skin has improved dramatically.

That's pretty much the routine I follow with the Nancy Boy mild Face Wash and Facial Toner. Once, maybe twice a week, I substitute the Toner at night with some Everyman Jack Scrub. I use a moisturizer AM and PM.

That's pretty much the routine I follow with the Nancy Boy mild Face Wash and Facial Toner. Once, maybe twice a week, I substitute the Toner at night with some Everyman Jack Scrub. I use a moisturizer AM and PM.

Those are the same products I use as well. Nancy Boy stuff is great.

I have dry skin and use a gentle face wash 1/day - Nivea Men Sensitive or Cetaphil - but over t he last 3 days, just water.

I can't tell the difference

Thanks for all the replies.

BTW - For dry skin, is it better to wash with lukewarm water or cold water?

Last edited:
I would think lukewarm water is the best idea whatever the weather is. Cold water would close your pores, thus not allowing you to clean the gunk/oil out of them.

I have dry skin and use a gentle face wash 1/day - Nivea Men Sensitive or Cetaphil - but over t he last 3 days, just water.

I can't tell the difference

I was wondering; is it a good thing not to use a cleanser at least once a day, even if it's a gentle one ?

I remember watching an episode of Queer eye for the straight guy, and they said that washing your face with just water, regardless of the skin type (so even if you have dry skin), can contribute to aging

I really doubt using a gentle cleanser night AM and PM would hurt you a great deal. I mean if you are washing your face three times a day with something very strong like Zirh, yeah, it's gonna dry your face out like nobodys business and in turn start the overproduction of oil. I'm just basing my idea of face wash/tone in the AM and rinse with warm water/tone in the PM from the Nancy Boy website and what has worked rather well for me over the last 3-4 months.

I really doubt using a gentle cleanser night AM and PM would hurt you a great deal. I mean if you are washing your face three times a day with something very strong like Zirh, yeah, it's gonna dry your face out like nobodys business and in turn start the overproduction of oil. I'm just basing my idea of face wash/tone in the AM and rinse with warm water/tone in the PM from the Nancy Boy website and what has worked rather well for me over the last 3-4 months.

Interesting, I'll try that

Thanks

I'm just basing my idea of face wash/tone in the AM and rinse with warm water/tone in the PM from the Nancy Boy website and what has worked rather well for me over the last 3-4 months.

+1. I follow that advice as well, except i simply tone in the morning and use cleanser and tone at night. i feel that cleansing at night is more effective so the pores can be completely cleansed of all the stuff they accumulate during the day.

I actually used to wash my face with a cleanser once/twice a day and I always ended up with dry or irritated skin. So, in a fit of inspiration, I stopped washing with a product...basically, shaving cream washes my face by proxy in the morning and then I splash cool water on my face at night. My skin has improved tremendously.

I think it really depends on your skin type. Gents, with dry skin, should probably only wash their face once per day. Gents with combination skin can wash their face once and rinse their face with water midday. Gents with oily skin can wash their face once and use a toner at midday to get rid of oil.

2x a day with a gentle cleanser shouldn't be overkill. maybe you are using too much cleanser? try using a smaller amount of cleanser and tepid water (not warm or hot water) and see if your face stays hydrated longer.

if your a coal-miner then no, but then again those guys washed with carbolic/coal tar soap and sundays was bath night

just follow these first 3 posts. again, a gentle cleanser should be fine.

Top Bottom