What's new

Is using soap bad for your skin?

For what its worth, I switched to JASON face wash about 3 weeks ago and stopped using soap on my face during my shower. I liked the way the face wash left my skin feeling, but I just wasn't feeling. . .clean.

I know I've become accustomed to the way that soap leaves my skin feeling, and I've come to like that squeaky clean feeling.

Well, last week I go to shave in the morning, and notice not 1, not 2, but 3 zit-like eruptions on the area under my nose and upper lip. I haven't had a breakout like this since middle school! The kicker was that the eruptions wouldn't go away. They stayed red and sore on my face all week long--and didn't look so hot either. . .

Seeing as the only change I've made in my routine recently was swapping the JASON face wash for soap, I decided to shelve the face wash for a day or 2 and see what happened. Results?

2 mornings of familiar soapy showers and voila--no zits. My face has--almost--returned to its old, lumpy mishapen state, but is zit-free.

I think I'm back to being a soap guy for the foreseaable future.:tongue:

mrob said:
For what its worth, I switched to JASON face wash about 3 weeks ago and stopped using soap on my face during my shower. I liked the way the face wash left my skin feeling, but I just wasn't feeling. . .clean.

I know I've become accustomed to the way that soap leaves my skin feeling, and I've come to like that squeaky clean feeling.

Well, last week I go to shave in the morning, and notice not 1, not 2, but 3 zit-like eruptions on the area under my nose and upper lip. I haven't had a breakout like this since middle school! The kicker was that the eruptions wouldn't go away. They stayed red and sore on my face all week long--and didn't look so hot either. . .

Seeing as the only change I've made in my routine recently was swapping the JASON face wash for soap, I decided to shelve the face wash for a day or 2 and see what happened. Results?

2 mornings of familiar soapy showers and voila--no zits. My face has--almost--returned to its old, lumpy mishapen state, but is zit-free.

I think I'm back to being a soap guy for the foreseaable future.:tongue:

Mrob, does the Jason wash contains oils or emollients? If yes, try Baxter wash or Nivea Sensitive wash (white tube); they don't have oils, and are gentle and cleanse well (perfect balance)

Zits! OMG! :ohmy: I am 47 and still get one every now and then... but it is a thing of horrors, especially at my age... :w00t:

I am going to rephrase the title of this thread, or maybe I should start another one.... But in my words it should read "Is using natural soap vs. commercially made soap bad for the skin..."

Yes, using commercially made soap is bad for the skin... using natural soaps with all of the natural glycerin and without detergent foaming agents is excellent for you skin, as well as very cleansing! Commercially made soaps are also very cleansing if you don't mind harsh detergents and chemicals on your skin.

I don't know what Jason Facewash is, but I suspect that it is not soap. Once again... if it doesn't say soap.. it probably isn't soap. Real naturally made soap will always be sold as soap... not face wash, cleansing bars, etc. Also commercially made soaps will have the glycerin extracted and many harsh and dangerous additives in them..

So, by all means, use natural soap products! They are GREAT for you. You can buy them at your local health food store or at specialty stores. There are also about a million home made soapmakers on the internet. Any of these natural products are good for you and for your skin.

hth,

Sue (Mama Bear)

Top Bottom