What's new

Is using soap bad for your skin?

kasabian said:
Hello Mummy Bear

I was wondering if you could tell me if this soap you sell, is good to use as a facewash:

proxy.php

I really like the grizzly bear on it. Is the bear, soap? It looks like tasty chocolate. :001_tt2:

Also, do you ship to the U.K?

many thanks Mummy Bear

YES!!!

This is a cocoabutter glycerin soap (glycerin soap with added cocoabutter... and is wonderful for face washing! It will not dry out your skin at all and will add tons of moisturizing!! It is not chocolate tho.... bummer. huh?? Do NOT take a bite of this soap! :biggrin:

AVB19Peace said:
Mama Bear,

Thanks for the great information. Can you recommend any commercial "soap" to use or is homemade the only option? My wife would be interested in a true soap also.

I've read some great reviews about your shaving soaps and plan on making a purchase as soon as I can. My hardware and software hasn't arrived yet, so I'm a brand newbie. :)

Peace,

AVB

I sell regular soap at my ebay store Mama Bears. http://stores.ebay.com/Mama-Bears_Cold-Process-Soap_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Welcome to Badger and Blade!!

Sue (Mama Bear)

The Cold Process Soaps on the ebay site are made by two of my soap buddies and good friends... Cyndi Muller makes tallow based milk soaps (using milk from her own cows on her farm) and you can find her at www.mullerslanefarm.com. She is a phenominal soaper and my soap guru. She also does soaping classes sometimes if anyone is interested!!

My other buddy makes only Castille (100% Olive Oil) Soaps and she does not have a website or an ebay store.

I don't sell the cold process soaps that I make myself... I don't think they are good enough. It is hard when you are learning from pro's to ever feel you are good enough......

Both of them like my glycerin soaps tho and all the glycerin soaps are handmade by me in my kitchen... where all food tastes slightly of soap...... :blush:

I've been using Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bars (no soap in that name) for years because I can get it for next to nothing through my company store. The ingredients are:

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG-20, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Isethionate, Masking Fragrance, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Penetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate. MAY CONTAIN Sodium Palm Kernelate.

Lots of long names there. Anything to watch out for?

Sue,
How long would you say on average would a bar of Mama Bear bath soap last? While taking an average shower, once a day.

fatt_tony said:
Sue,
How long would you say on average would a bar of Mama Bear bath soap last? While taking an average shower, once a day.

That's kind of like saying how far will your car go on a tank of gas... there are too many variables...

The harder the soap, the longer it lasts.... but I honestly personally prefer the softer soaps that do not last as long.. they have more oils in them and more glycerin and are better for your skin...

The hardest bar of soap out there would be the Castille... This lasts the longest, takes the longest to cure and the olive oil is phenominal for skin... Olive oil is supposed to be the only oil that actually permeates all 7 layers of skin! I keep a bottle on my bath tub and pour some in the bath every now and then... Also, honey, liquid silk, vit e... essential oils.... my tub looks like a pharmacy... :blush:

letterk said:
I've been using Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bars (no soap in that name) for years because I can get it for next to nothing through my company store. The ingredients are:

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG-20, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Isethionate, Masking Fragrance, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Penetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate. MAY CONTAIN Sodium Palm Kernelate.

I will try to answer this in length tonight... I am pretty tied up and want to give this the answer it requires... in depth.

Hugs,

Sue

jonathon41uk said:
Hi

Thanks for that. is the Aubrey mens cleanser likely to be natural soap? Anyone know a good supplier ofit in the UK?

Jonathon

Hi Jonathon,

I've used many of Aubrey's men-stock products. They are in fact all natural.

HOWEVER, using these products gave me major breakouts. Thus, I don't use them any longer. YMMV.

Mama Bear said:
I guess this would be SAD... Soap Aquisition Disorder.... :lol:

Dang it! Do people here have AAD (acquisition acquisition disorder)? I mean every week a new AD pops up! Or should that be ADAD (acquisition disorder acquisition disorder)?

letterk said:

Sorry this took so long... I have been BUSY like mad! There is always so much to do when you leave town....

I ran this by one of my soap buddies and this is her responce... it is not my responce, because I have not looked up all the ingredients.. there are a couple I am curious about...

"Okay, this is just soap. When you saponify oils with lye to make soap, what you get chemically speaking is a salt. Yep. Soap is a salt. So what someone has done here is to actually label their soap very properly, which the vast majority don't since according to the FDA, soap does not require an ingredients label. BUT if you are going to label it, it should be done as this person did.

Some of them I can tell you what they are off the top of my head, the others I'd have to look up. So, what I do know: sodium tallowate is tallow, Sadium Palm Kernelate is palm kernel oil, Sodium cocoate is coconut oil, Sucrose cocoate I would imagine is some kind of sugar from coconut, Petrolatum is vasaline, etc. That's all. No big deal. Of the ones I recognize anyway. You'll have to look up the others. I don't know why anyone would want to add vasaline to their soap, but ........and if these are in the order of what's used most being listed first, they sure do use an awful lot of stearic acid. "

I will keep looking at it and get back to you if there is more to say...

Hugs,

Sue

fuerein said:
Dang it! Do people here have AAD (acquisition acquisition disorder)? I mean every week a new AD pops up! Or should that be ADAD (acquisition disorder acquisition disorder)?

LMAO..... yup, that's about it.... :lol: :lol:

SLS and SLES. These are additives that are used to create lather in many commercially made soaps. There is a whole round of theories in regards to this and I don't know as much as I would like to know, but am learning, about this subject, but there is a plethora of information on this on the internet. I will avoid the cancer causing arguments because I believe that this was a weird misinformation thing, but on the other hand, these additives are severe skin irritants and have cause many sensitivity issues with people.

I am posting a couple of links, but would prefer if anyone is interested to just take a look on the 'net themselves as I am by no means fully informed and should not be used as a resource for information on this.

http://www.natural-health-information-centre.com/sodium-lauryl-sulfate.html

It is kind of strange to me that companies will use irritants in products that are supposed to be soothing to the skin.

Sue (Mama Bear)

Hi Mama,

My father is a die-hard Ivory soap user and we used this growing up also and I told him it falls under the harsh deodrant category. Ivory claims to be 99.4% pure soap and it leaves the skin dry. What do you think about this percentage claim of pure soap? For a few years I have changed to natural soaps but I can see his skin is always dry and crackled because he never uses any lotion but it seems Ive got him thinking with your post...Thanks.

Top Bottom