What's new

Is Thomson Water Seal OK to seal JNATS?

Pretty straight forward question. I know cashew laquer is the traditional but I'm assuming any easily accessible stone sealer should be good to go? I recently purchased my first two JNATs when I got a deal on two Ozuku Asagi (not sure that's actually correct) that have some flaws and probably need to be lapped quite a bit or cut into naguras (though as hard as these are i'm not sure they would make good naguras), but they are not yet sealed. Before I start lapping off the stamps and see if I can get a decent finisher out of them I want to make sure I properly seal the sides. I've used thompson on concrete with good results so i'm wondering if it'll work on these?

No one has answered you, so while I don’t have a direct yes/no answer to your question, I can tell you that I use spar varnish with good results. Traditionally cashew lacquer was used. I can’t say for Thomas water seal. Good luck.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I don't know beans about Jnats but I don't think Thompsons would be a good idea. Just from reading on the forums the things that are used to seal are actually creating a physical barrier where as the Thompsons soaks way in. Could possbly ruin the stones surface properties if it soaked into the using surface.

Thanks for the advice. I was considering using a resin but my fear was the same that it would penetrate the stone which is what I want to avoid. I'm a ChemE by trade so you would think it'd be easy to figure out but the problem is I tend to overthink it so I was thinking something simple and thompsons was the fist thing that came to mind

Actually, I think a little penetration is probably good and would have better adherence. But you don’t want something that would really soak in.

Top Bottom