What's new

Is this worth restoring?

I picked up this Gillette open comb DE a few months ago in an antique shop. At the time I didn't notice it had a crack in the handle.

I went to check it out over the weekend and see if it was something I would use, which is when I saw the crack.

Is it worth restoring? If so, who would be the best choice to fix it? I've had a couple of restorations done by RazorEmporium, and they were ok.

I was very surprised to find that it had blades included. The old Gillette Blue blades. I wonder if they're still usable.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

20220821_213041.jpg

20220822_194127.jpg

20220821_213133.jpg

20220821_213232.jpg

20220822_194107.jpg

Attachments

• 20220821_213232.jpg
    20220821_213232.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 4

lasta

Blade Biter
Head is fine, use as is or polish it up.

Handle is gone, hollow ball-ends always crack. Pick up another vintage Gillette with a common bar (those don't crack).

The handle is an obvious issue but, yes, I think it's worth restoring if you can afford to.

You can google how to repair the crack. I've done a couple. Epoxy and a piece of all-thread stuffed inside the handle. Clamp well and let set up. Then you have added a little weight to it and your set will still be complete. I wouldn't use the blades. Try to find some Blues still in the wrapper and put them in the set. Use the razor as I use all of mine. Even if they are in a set.

You can google how to repair the crack. I've done a couple. Epoxy and a piece of all-thread stuffed inside the handle. Clamp well and let set up. Then you have added a little weight to it and your set will still be complete. I wouldn't use the blades. Try to find some Blues still in the wrapper and put them in the set. Use the razor as I use all of mine. Even if they are in a set.
+1 on the handle fix. The rest of the razor just needs a good cleaning and it’s good to go.

Handle is gone, hollow ball-ends always crack. Pick up another vintage Gillette with a common bar (those don't crack).
I'm not familiar with the "common bar" can you please explain?

I do have aan almost full set of blue blades still in the wrappers, the 3rd picture shows them. There was one unwrapped Personna blade on the top of them, but the rest are paper wrapped dark blue blades like in the picture.

+1! This^

Thanks All, I'll order the RE replacement handle, and do some clean up and sanitizing of the head before I use it.

Does anyone know how agressive this razor is? My comprables are Merkur Adjustable on 4, Merkur 34C long handle, 1963 Gillette Slim Adjustable (on 3 otherwise it's too agressive) and my daily driver, a 1959 Fatboy on 5 usually with Feather blades.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks All, I'll order the RE replacement handle, and do some clean up and sanitizing of the head before I use it.

Does anyone know how agressive this razor is? My comprables are Merkur Adjustable on 4, Merkur 34C long handle, 1963 Gillette Slim Adjustable (on 3 otherwise it's too agressive) and my daily driver, a 1959 Fatboy on 5 usually with Feather blades.
Just be gentle with the gold wash my friend!

I've got 3 Goodwills and several Old Types with Ball End Handles - none have cracks.

lasta

Blade Biter
I've got 3 Goodwills and several Old Types with Ball End Handles - none have cracks.
You are a lucky man!

Every one of the hollow multi-piece ball ends I've come across have cracked. Old types, News, Goodwills, Tuckaway, even 3 piece razors like New Improved/Deluxe...

But 2 common bars and 2 fat handles have held up fine.

The Razor Emporium replica handle looks like this:
20220510_181848.jpg

Consider first looking around on Etsy.com for old, cruddy Old Types. Many have Ball End handles without cracks that can be replated. Backroads Gold replated an old junk handle (uncracked) from a $10 Old Type that looks great!

Top Bottom