What's new

Is this worth Restoring?

Definitly looks like it is restorable :)

Doesnt appear to be much more damage than oxidation. It doesnt look quite like rust, not yet at least. I cant tell from the pics if the edge is in good shape, but it looks to be rust free. I say send it off for resto straight away!

It doesn't look like pattern welded steel to me and it looks pretty small. IMHO, not worth the going rate for restoration. If you can find someone to do it for ~$20 for resto & hone, it would be worth it. But thats just my opinion, temper it with the fact that I own dozens of razors in my rotation, a hundred just sitting around looking pretty, and do restorations as a semi-serious hobby.

But if your doing it yourself, it would be worth it. Actually, if you do all the sanding & preliminary work, I might be able to do it for a reasonable rate.

But is that a crack I see in picture #1? Certainly looks like dents in the last picture. Possibly pitting. Very hard to tell from pictures alone.

give it a going over with some MAAS or something and double check thats not a crack.

If its fine, then it should be a fairly simple job for you to sand it yourself

It doesn't look like pattern welded steel to me and it looks pretty small. IMHO, not worth the going rate for restoration. If you can find someone to do it for ~$20 for resto & hone, it would be worth it. But thats just my opinion, temper it with the fact that I own dozens of razors in my rotation, a hundred just sitting around looking pretty, and do restorations as a semi-serious hobby.

But if your doing it yourself, it would be worth it. Actually, if you do all the sanding & preliminary work, I might be able to do it for a reasonable rate.

But is that a crack I see in picture #1? Certainly looks like dents in the last picture. Possibly pitting. Very hard to tell from pictures alone.

Definitely a crack. In the first picture, it looks like a crack, and then on the other side of the blade, there is a blemish visible right where the possible crack is. Of course it could just be the mother of all dents with a hair stuck to the blade on one side, too. It's hard to tell.

The suggestion to polish it up first to see what you have is a good one :biggrin:.

Top Bottom