What's new

is this worth 14.88

100 SHARK SUPER CHROME DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR BLADES for 14.88 US free US shipping. Is that a good deal and are those razors gentle, fair or aggressive ones?

thank you for your input

100 SHARK SUPER CHROME DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR BLADES for 14.88 US free US shipping. Is that a good deal and are those razors gentle, fair or aggressive ones?

thank you for your input

I don't know those blades, but I know that you can get 100 RPIP's for $10 plus shipping from WCS, and you can get 100 Derbys for $14.99 from NTGUYS on ebay, either of which would be an excellent choice.

I don't know those blades, but I know that you can get 100 RPIP's for $10 plus shipping from WCS, and you can get 100 Derbys for $14.99 from NTGUYS on ebay, either of which would be an excellent choice.

+1

Get the Personnas. They are medium sharpness and smooth. They're like Derbies, but smoother. The best part, though, is that they're dirt cheap.

+1

Get the Personnas. They are medium sharpness and smooth. They're like Derbies, but smoother. The best part, though, is that they're dirt cheap.

Thanks guys, hard to decide but I like what is said about the Personnas, thanks again

Stay with the Personnas. I'm biased as they're my personal fav, but it's not a good sign that nobody seems to have heard of the Sharks. :cool:

thank you for your input
I just picked up some of the Sharks from melyus, I'll be shaving with one tomorrow and will let you know how it is. The Red IPs are still the best deal around.

I have no experience with them, but:
A guy on another forum reviews blades, gives 'em a fair shake, uses several different razors, takes microscopic photos of the cutting edges, does a really professional job of it. He likes the Shark blades a lot. As always, YMMV.:wink:

R

rainman

i have no experience with them, but:
A guy on another forum reviews blades, gives 'em a fair shake, uses several different razors, takes microscopic photos of the cutting edges, does a really professional job of it. He likes the shark blades a lot. As always, ymmv.:wink:

+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some Sharks last year as a sample in an order from a vendor who unfortunately is no longer selling online.

The Shark I tried recently gave eight smooth shaves in a Tech. No weepers, no nicks. That was enough for me to order more Sharks from B&B member Melyus.

Eight is the most shaves I have had from any blade. Got seven with a Super Iridium once, but with weepers and nicks. Most blades give me 4-5 shaves. By the rating system used by the reviewer mentioned on the other board, I'd put them in between a Crystal and a Derby for shaving qualities, but smooth, and more shaves.

Last edited:
So here is my brief review.

I popped one of the Shark blades in a Merkur 38C and used some TOBS avocado. I hae been getting great results latelty with TOBS creams so why not give the blade every advantage? I had not shaved the day before so I had a good growth going.

First impression: The blade was fairly smooth, with no tugging. Actually, I didn't feel much at all, but could not tell how close the shave was. After the first pass, I rinsed and was amazed at the amount of growth that was taken. My cheeks felt smooth and dry. I did a 3 pass shave (2 on cheeks) with some touch up. Followed up with Baxter of CA ASB, did not notice much stinging at all.

Overall result: a very smooth shave, but with a tad bit of irritation on the neck (in the areas that I made multiple passes). I am very pleased with the resulting shave.

I think the Shark is very sharp, about as sharp as the Astra Stainless. Not as smooth as a Gillette Yellow or a Super I, and perhaps a notch below the Derby in terms of smoothness, but not bad. Not quite as sharp as a Super I or Gillette yellow either. I do think it is sharper than the Red IP–but not by much–and about as smooth. It worked well in the 38C, so it would probably do well in most other razors. I am going to try it in the Super Adjustable tomorrow.

For what the blade costs (about 15 cents a blade) it yields a very close shave, and is a slightly better deal than say, the Astra at 20 cents per blade. It does not beat the Red IP price/performance ratio tho. I think it would be a great blade to add to the collection, if the Red IP and Astra (and Derby) work for you.

It's probably best to try a pack before making a bulk buy. I've seen some "Shark" brand blades packs sold at the shoeboxshaveshop.com. They have a nice selection of blades including Lord and Treet offerings. There are some convenient sample packs of some of the blades which come in 2 or 3 blade configurations. This is nice because then you don't get stuck with the remainder of the pack if you don't fancy it.

Shoebox appears to be taking over most of the inventory of the vendor I got my first Shark sample from last year. Prices are a bit higher than the previous vendor, who carried about a dozen Lord-based blade brands. Some of the Lord brands are good shavers, especially the Shark, but no better than other blades costing less. At a bulk price like the one in the topic, or less, the Sharks are definitely worth it to me.

I don't know where the originator of this thread obtained his Sharks, but melyus has the same bulk lot for less, if you can wait the two weeks or so it takes to get a shipment.

Best bet might be to try a sample pack from a vendor who sells individual packs, and if you like them enough order in bulk at a better price.

That vendor had one of the best selections out there. Unfortunately it was more of a hobby for him, and as the word got out and he became more popular, he had difficulty keeping up with his orders and the demands of his day job at the same time.

So here is my brief review.

I popped one of the Shark blades in a Merkur 38C and used some TOBS avocado. I hae been getting great results latelty with TOBS creams so why not give the blade every advantage? I had not shaved the day before so I had a good growth going.

First impression: The blade was fairly smooth, with no tugging. Actually, I didn't feel much at all, but could not tell how close the shave was. After the first pass, I rinsed and was amazed at the amount of growth that was taken. My cheeks felt smooth and dry. I did a 3 pass shave (2 on cheeks) with some touch up. Followed up with Baxter of CA ASB, did not notice much stinging at all.

Overall result: a very smooth shave, but with a tad bit of irritation on the neck (in the areas that I made multiple passes). I am very pleased with the resulting shave.

I think the Shark is very sharp, about as sharp as the Astra Stainless. Not as smooth as a Gillette Yellow or a Super I, and perhaps a notch below the Derby in terms of smoothness, but not bad. Not quite as sharp as a Super I or Gillette yellow either. I do think it is sharper than the Red IP–but not by much–and about as smooth. It worked well in the 38C, so it would probably do well in most other razors. I am going to try it in the Super Adjustable tomorrow.

For what the blade costs (about 15 cents a blade) it yields a very close shave, and is a slightly better deal than say, the Astra at 20 cents per blade. It does not beat the Red IP price/performance ratio tho. I think it would be a great blade to add to the collection, if the Red IP and Astra (and Derby) work for you.

Thanks for the review.

thank you for your input

I picked up these same blades you refer to on ebay ($14.88 per 100) and had my first shave with one last night. I was really surprised! Stubblefield had tried them and mentioned his praise after first use, so I figured what the heck. I got a BBS shave with no irritation at all! I liked it better than Astras or Derbys. It was really smooth. I would recommend anyone try this blade.

Top Bottom