What's new

Is this tugging?

Using a Shark Super Chrome blade, I'm getting the sensation more like I'm chopping down trees rather than moving them down. Also, the shave is not particularly close and it's too much skin irritation. I'm not hearing the clean sound of whiskers being cut through, it sounds more raspy.

With my Shick injector razor, it just cuts no matter whether I use Persona or Shick blades . But with a DE, it's alot of trial and error.

I didn't think my beard was particularly heavy- years ago I did IPL hair reduction. But maybe it is, anyways.

With an injector, you don't have to worry about blade angle. As a result, many find it easier to use.

What razor are you using? The combo of razor and blade is more of a variable with DE razors. However, once you find the best combo for you, you should not experience tugging assuming your technique is good. Your blade angle may be off. Check the Wiki for some good advice on blade angle.

Sounds like your blade angle is off. Never used the Shark blades so don't know what they are capable of compared to an Astra SP or GSB.

Using a Shark Super Chrome blade, I'm getting the sensation more like I'm chopping down trees rather than moving them down. Also, the shave is not particularly close and it's too much skin irritation. I'm not hearing the clean sound of whiskers being cut through, it sounds more raspy.

With my Shick injector razor, it just cuts no matter whether I use Persona or Shick blades . But with a DE, it's alot of trial and error.

I didn't think my beard was particularly heavy- years ago I did IPL hair reduction. But maybe it is, anyways.

It sounds like you are hoeing instead of scything. Try riding the top cap a little bit while using light pressure. If you have an adjustable razor, try a lower number.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Could be the blade my friend. Do what the others have said, but in my experience, all the beard prep in the world won't change that blade into a GSB.

Sounds like your blade angle is off. Never used the Shark blades so don't know what they are capable of compared to an Astra SP or GSB.

+1! To me it looks like your angle may be off.

Shark SC are good blades in my experience, a bit below my personal top tier, but solid.

It seems like you are scraping the skin, which is mostly an angle issue. There is slight-to-moderate variance for the optimum angle between different razors. Before I had the hang of my razor, I found it helpful to start with cap against my face (handle perpendicular) and gradually position the handle closer to my face until the blade started cutting.

If your angle is off, you may be overcompensating with extra pressure--which would exacerbate your scraping issue.

+1! To me it looks like your angle may be off.

Shark SC are good blades in my experience, a bit below my personal top tier, but solid.

I'll try a fresh blade in a few days

The Tech doesn't seem too finicky about angle. It either cuts or it doesn't.

Could be the blade my friend. Do what the others have said, but in my experience, all the beard prep in the world won't change that blade into a GSB.

I used Astra SP's or Personna years ago. I had graduated from Derby's, they just weren't cutting effectively.

My guess is the blade is dull. I guess I asked about tugging because I haven't really encountered it in a fresh blade before. Usually, new blades have the opposite problem. Even with Derby's, I can get at least two shaves out of them.

I get the sense that DE blades don't last as long. They have to be super-sharp because the blade is so thin?

Even a dullish injector or Bic is going to balk less than that Shark SS blade.

FarmerTan

I get the sense that DE blades don't last as long. They have to be super-sharp because the blade is so thin?

Even a dullish injector or Bic is going to balk less than that Shark SS blade.
Well, I hate to admit it, but the old saying about mileage varying definitely applies to DE blades. I've got 42 or so shaves on a GSB at present, and it seemed as good after the last shave as it did on shave number 2. Just weird, because the next one may only go 15!

Well, I hate to admit it, but the old saying about mileage varying definitely applies to DE blades. I've got 42 or so shaves on a GSB at present, and it seemed as good after the last shave as it did on shave number 2. Just weird, because the next one may only go 15!

15 is still very good.

Do any DE blades have DLC? (diamond like coating). Some of the Mach 3 and Fusion blades have that, and I have heard some people shaving for up to six months with them (all I have are older cartridges, though I am tempted).

FarmerTan

15 is still very good.

Do any DE blades have DLC? (diamond like coating). Some of the Mach 3 and Fusion blades have that, and I have heard some people shaving for up to six months with them (all I have are older cartridges, though I am tempted).
Well, my family claims I'm so tight that I squeak when I walk, I call it frugal, but I honestly NEVER would have gone back to DE shaving if the old Gillette Sensor blades hadn't been replaced with the ones with six or 22 blades or however many they have. I got perfectly close, fast, comfortable shaves in the shower every AM. And a single cartridge lasted me easily 4 to six months.

Half of the guys on here crack me up with the money they spend on 100 packs of blades and toss 'em after one shave! Shoot, a GSB ain't worth 2 dead flies until the second shave, and I would bet that's true for half the blades out there.

If your beard is coarse, then the Shark Super Chrome blade might not work for you. I cannot use Shark SC, Derby Extra, Merkur or VDH blades, and likely a few others, without painful tugging. Astra SP blades are a little sharper. I can use them in an aggressive razor, but I prefer even sharper blades.

BTW- for most men, your beard becomes coarser as you age, so what might have worked for you when you were younger might not work when you are older.

The Gillette Super Blue is a good mid-sharp blade that works for me in most razors, but it works best in aggressive razors. Some blades I like even better are Rapira Platinum Lux, Astra Superior Stainless, Shark Platinum, SuperMax Blue Diamond, German Wilkinson Swords, Personna Israeli Reds, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blacks, Nacets, PermaSharp Super, and BIC Chrome Platinum. However, the last few blades are so sharp that they might be too sharp for use in a very aggressive razor.

Half of the guys on here crack me up with the money they spend on 100 packs of blades and toss 'em after one shave! Shoot, a GSB ain't worth 2 dead flies until the second shave, and I would bet that's true for half the blades out there.

Well said sir!

I'm actually not a regular multiblade cartridge user- I'm fairly experienced with the Gillette Guard and Bic Sensitive. In fact, I can shave with a Bic Sensitive and it never tugs.

So... I don't get it.

My impression is that there's alot of relatively dull DE blades out there. I'm going to order a blade sampler with some sharper blades (those Gillette Silver Blues are on my list). So far I've just been using odd blades I had lying around and never used.

When I shaved with a DE before, I found the Astra Superior Platinums to be the best all round value. Derby was OK for about 2-3 shaves, and the same was true with Dorcos of all kinds. But they were very forgiving blades so I liked them.

I have some Wilkinson Swords and I'm going to try those tomorrow or the day after. The razor burn was not so bad I couldn't shave with a DE tomorrow, but I might want to just take a break. My dad usually used Wilkinson Swords, though I'm not sure what he is using now days.

It sounds like you are hoeing instead of scything. Try riding the top cap a little bit while using light pressure. If you have an adjustable razor, try a lower number.

I had to look up what "riding the cap" means. And I'm still not sure. I think you mean, use the cap and not the guard as a guide to blade angle?

Top Bottom