What's new

Is This Too Much?

When I shave I start off with some Noxzema wash it off then shave. After I'm done I use an alum block followed by some alcohol free WH then some Nivea sensitive ASB. Is this overkill? Could it be harmful or bad for my skin?

Since I do not know Noxzema I can't say how harsh it is. But preparing/washing your face before shaving is always benefical. The latter products are soothing and not known to be aggressive at all. So I wouldn't say it's an overkill. Even in combination.

BUT

Learn to listen to what your skin likes and what not. Does it itch after shaving? Does it feel 'weird' or unknown to you? Does it redden? If it does not and you've done shaving with this setup repeatedly without irritation then there's a high chance that these products won't harm you. (Though, of course, you don't need to use that much products for after shave. Witch hazel alone is enough for most of the men).

When I shave I start off with some Noxzema wash it off then shave. After I'm done I use an alum block followed by some alcohol free WH then some Nivea sensitive ASB. Is this overkill? Could it be harmful or bad for my skin?

It is for me but YMMV. I just shower, lather and shave. Then use an alcohol based AS.

For me, yes it's too much. However if it leaves your skin hydrated and irritation free, then no it's not too much.

You could always experiment and eliminate one, or all or any combination to see what leaves your face feeling the best. YMMV.

I don't think you're harming your skin.

Since I do not know Noxzema I can't say how harsh it is. But preparing/washing your face before shaving is always benefical. The latter products are soothing and not known to be aggressive at all. So I wouldn't say it's an overkill. Even in combination.

BUT

Learn to listen to what your skin likes and what not. Does it itch after shaving? Does it feel 'weird' or unknown to you? Does it redden? If it does not and you've done shaving with this setup repeatedly without irritation then there's a high chance that these products won't harm you. (Though, of course, you don't need to use that much products for after shave. Witch hazel alone is enough for most of the men).

Couldn't have said it any better.

Hi,

My late uncle had a beard like a thorn bush. He never used anything other than Noxema to my knowledge. I still love the smell of it.

As for the rest, try leaving out a product and see if it makes your skin any less happy.

Like my new avatar (snipped from a 1926 Barbasol ad) says, "Let Your Face Be Your Guide"

Cheers,
Ian

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

There are some few folk who react badly to menthol. To me there is not much difference between Noxzema and Prorazo pre/post cream. I find it a great treat to use Noxzema and follow through with Kyle's prep. Noxzema is one of those products that has been around for years with millions of people using it daily. As for the other stuff . . . well I think it is up to all of us to do what feels good.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hi,

My late uncle had a beard like a thorn bush. He never used anything other than Noxema to my knowledge. I still love the smell of it.

As for the rest, try leaving out a product and see if it makes your skin any less happy.

Like my new avatar (snipped from a 1926 Barbasol ad) says, "Let Your Face Be Your Guide"

Cheers,
Ian

They used to make a Noxema brushless cream . . . I used that product until they stopped making it. Lovely stuff . . . pink and menthol that you could use with or without a brush.

I start with a hot shower then Alt Innsbruck preshave product nice hot lather after my shave I use a alum block WH then after shave balm. My face has never felt better. So I wouldn't call it overkill.

If you were using a pre-shave oil between the Noxema and shaving, then I'd say that would be overkill (since you'd essentially be taking oil away from your skin and then putting it back again :blink:). I think you're fine.

Top Bottom