What's new

Is this the season for SR newbies?

I don't care what someone counting the numbers thinks. I'm still going with more people learning every day. Makes me feel better knowing the old ways are still growing. Maybe after a decade or two only straights will be used. I can wish cant I?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The Cadman "Bengall" SRs I have been sourcing on eBay have increased in price by 30% or more in the past few months. Not good.

I blame those n00bies getting into traditional straight razor shaving. Might have to change my stand on encouraging people into the gentlemanly art.

The Cadman "Bengall" SRs I have been sourcing on eBay have increased in price by 30% or more in the past few months. Not good.

I blame those n00bies getting into traditional straight razor shaving. Might have to change my stand on encouraging people into the gentlemanly art.
Those n00bs must also be chasing Heljestrands. I noticed EA Berg and JA Hellberg razors are slowly creeping up in price with more people bidding on them.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Those n00bs must also be chasing Heljestrands. I noticed EA Berg and JA Hellberg razors are slowly creeping up in price with more people bidding on them.
Yes, gone are those recent days when we could pick up a NOS Heljestrand for under $50 with just a quick search on your local eBay site. Recently I had to try for months before I found a decent Bengall for under $50 and that was used, probably by some man who cut his own throat with it.

I too have noticed a number of good vintage razors increasing in price rather significantly. I started a couple years ago with a razor I received in a swap. I combed through ebay thinking I would want a couple more (couple more... yeah right 🤣). I picked up a Frederick Reynolds pre 1892 for a song with horn scales and in decent shape. Paid less than $20 shipped. Got a Dixie Blue Steel for maybe $23 shipped. When I got back from deployment in late 2020 I found a few other razors (Genco in phenomenal shape other than the scales, a lot of torreys, and some others) for bargains. Usually about $20~ per razor or so. Bought a Johan Engstrom in awesome shape for under $30 shipped. I saw ERN crown and swords daily go for around $25. These are all decent razors that have little hone wear but need cleaning. A couple of my greatest deals had damaged scales so I made new ones.

These days I look and look and the entry seems to be $30 for a decent blade on a known quality, but not special, vintage brand. Most Swedish, sheffields with well known makers, solingens, and sought after American razors will go for $30 if the blade appears barely salvageable, $50 or more if it's good, and way more if it's clean and needs little work. Sure there are deals to be found if you scavenge, but they're getting harder to find.

Perhaps Covid had something to do with it. I started out this year largely due to lock downs and restrictions in Hong Kong putting a damper on everything social.

It was also the same timeframe that I learnt how to write and use chop sticks left handed to show off to lady friends. As it so turns out, the only people I'm impressing with these skillz are other blokes!

Perhaps Covid had something to do with it. I started out this year largely due to lock downs and restrictions in Hong Kong putting a damper on everything social.

It was also the same timeframe that I learnt how to write and use chop sticks left handed to show off to lady friends. As it so turns out, the only people I'm impressing with these skillz are other blokes!
I think you have to post your new found skill on "Social Media" these days to get the ladies attention. ;)

They can't be bothered lifting their head from the screen long enough for you to demonstrate.

Now, get off my lawn!

Am I just imagining it or is the number of new SR shavers picking up?

Quite possibly, I am one of them.

It has several different aspects that give it a broad appeal and a "cool" factor to different demographics, such as the environmentally friendly factor, the lower long term cost, the craft and skill of it, and the "manliness" of it. Not everyone cares about all the reasons, but enough people care about at least one of them.

I've always hated shaving, never properly learned how and have thick fast growing facial hair that I'd take hair clippers to every couple months and that was that. Having to maintain a blade makes it more fun for me.

It might not be the noobs, it can just be a handful of avid collectors (like your good self :biggrin1:) buying up anything well priced creating a distortion in the price/market. Anyrate, if you can sell yours for cheap you can help correct the price for the rest of us

All musings aside on the vintage razor market (including the ones I made), I hope we do see a real resurgence in a lot of old ways. Shaving with a straight is just one of them. I'm over the throw away economy. Besides, even if vintage SRs have increased in price lately... a thriving base of avid straight shavers helps ensure our currently owned razors hold some value. Not that this is at all the point of collecting straight razors... but it would be nice knowing that some of the awesome razors I bought for a song may put some decent money in my daughters' pockets when I'm gone.

Shoot, I'm getting back into Sr8s after having gone on hiatus when the schools closed last year and our kids were constantly home. Now that things have kinda sorta gotten back to "normal" I found myself jonsing for another SR shave. Tony Miller strop and an Aust blade on the way. I'm going to pick up a Gold Dollar blade and get more serious about learning to hone this time around.

Shoot, I'm getting back into Sr8s after having gone on hiatus when the schools closed last year and our kids were constantly home. Now that things have kinda sorta gotten back to "normal" I found myself jonsing for another SR shave. Tony Miller strop and an Aust blade on the way. I'm going to pick up a Gold Dollar blade and get more serious about learning to hone this time around.
Best of luck to you! I have read your posts hear and there for the last couple years. I am still in the deep end treading water... 😬

Top Bottom