What's new

Is this strop to big?

I got this new strop off ebay thinking as the size is a bit bigger than the norm I could avoid the X pattern stropping system you have to do with the smaller strops but now i'm worried its too big. (4" wide and 15" length)

Any thoughts from you regular straight users out their?

I think you need to continue to use the X pattern to make sure the blade is stropped evenly. (There might be a part of the strop that is texture-wide different, and you don't want the same part of the blade going over this part of the strop.) The advantage, as I see it, from the wider strop is that you won't have to swipe your blade off the edge of the strop.

I think you need to continue to use the X pattern to make sure the blade is stropped evenly. (There might be a part of the strop that is texture-wide different, and you don't want the same part of the blade going over this part of the strop.) The advantage, as I see it, from the wider strop is that you won't have to swipe your blade off the edge of the strop.
I was going to say the same thing.

To my eyes, The cut of the strop means that you only have a guarenteed firm surface of approximately 2 inches wide

The sides don't seem to have enough support at either end to maintain even pressure on the full width of the blade (I might be mistaken, after all, it's hard to see the top end of the strop) This means either the edges fold over or cup during normal use

Sorry, I'm gonna say you'd still have to maintain an X pattern stropping. and the width is just going to be a PITA

Thanks for the replies, i really have'nt had chance to use it yet as i got a slight skin infection on the side of my mouth and so i've been using my DE for the last couple of days but i'll feedback on the strop when i'm back to my straight in a few days. Looking forward to getting back to the straight actually, great fun!

Top Bottom