What's new

Is this rust on this razor or stain?

I been using this blade for like 4 shaves now and in the last 2 times dipped it in 97% alcohol to sanitize it and went to use it a 5th time and the van der hagen blade is like have a stain or rust on it and i want to know if you guys can recognize if it is rust and discontinue use or just a stain and safe if it feels right? If its because i dipped it in alcohol I honestly didn't know that would lead to this.. Would towel drying next time be a better solution?
proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It doesn’t look like rust to me. You should be okay to use it. It may be getting close to its use by date anyway by the number of shaves that you have on it.

B

Barney14

I really don't see the need to sanitize a blade, use it and then throw it away.

If you have gotten four good shave out of the VDH blade, you are fortunate. I have tried them, but they are too dull for my beard. I cannot even get one decent shave from the blades.

+1. Not worth taking any risk.

Whether you call it a stain or rust, it is still corrosion. Some of the spots are located at the edge of the blade. This may lead to a rough shave.

I would try shaving with it. Only toss it based on feel and cutting ability.

As you know blades are so cheap that one could use a new one everyday, but I don't do that.

It's a stain resulting from hard water or soap scum. I get this all the time. It's really nothing.

Rust feels rough on the skin and is more brownish looking. I've had blades which I dumped months ago and they don't even rust much or at all.

Top Bottom