What's new

Is This Right?

I have not ordered just a handle before. This was advertised as sized for a 22mm. I queried and the reply was that it was drilled for a 22 but will accept a 24. Seems to me it was drilled for a 24 and will accept something smaller. It just seemed a bit odd to me?
2019_Aug_17_8319_LR.jpg
2019_Aug_17_8320_LR.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I don't make brushes, but the maker's explanation makes sense to me. A 22mm knot with a 24mm opening will have a nice bloom. A 24mm knot in that same opening will have a lot of backbone as the bristles will remain compressed together.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have zero experience here..... but, does the adhesive have any bearing on the hole size?

I have not ordered just a handle before. This was advertised as sized for a 22mm. I queried and the reply was that it was drilled for a 22 but will accept a 24. Seems to me it was drilled for a 24 and will accept something smaller. It just seemed a bit odd to me?View attachment 1008914 View attachment 1008915

I would think 24mm would be the advertised size as well. Should work ok with 22mm knot though.

All the brushes I own have knots that are larger than advertised and yes, its misleading. However, the reality is the knot will always be larger as the measurements are at the base of the knot withe the glue but the hairs will expand outward from the glued based so it will be about 2mm or more larger depending on knot and hairs.

My Yaqi 24mm badger measures 26.5mm at the base of the brush so the best thing to do is get a knot first then measure it for a handle.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

All the brushes I own have knots that are larger than advertised and yes, its misleading. However, the reality is the knot will always be larger as the measurements are at the base of the knot withe the glue but the hairs will expand outward from the glued based so it will be about 2mm or more larger depending on knot and hairs.

My Yaqi 24mm badger measures 26.5mm at the base of the brush so the best thing to do is get a knot first then measure it for a handle.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

As I said, a 25.5mm hole should be sufficient for a 24mm knot, No Idea why it would be advertised as being for a 22mm knot.

22mm hole for 20mm knot.
23mm hole for 21mm knot.
24mm hole for 22mm knot.
25mm hole for 23mm knot.
etc.

If you place a 22 in that 25mm, it will bloom more and have goof flow through. If you place 24 it will be tighter configuration, aiding backbone and scrub.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
All depends on the knot. I have had knots that were up to 4 mm larger (at exit from the handle) than their nominal size: so a 26 mm knot would require a 30 mm hole. Generally, I would say that knots are about 1.5-2 mm larger than their nominal size.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All depends on the knot. I have had knots that were up to 4 mm larger (at exit from the handle) than their nominal size: so a 26 mm knot would require a 30 mm hole. Generally, I would say that knots are about 1.5-2 mm larger than their nominal size.
Thanks.

Great explanation!! Thanks! :a14::a14:

Well... I am learning a bit about knots and handles... which is good. I will report back when the 22mm knots arrive.

The master speaks! Thank you for your insights :)

Top Bottom