What's new

Is This Razor For Me???

I understand this is really a rhetorical question and only one I can answer. But do you have a razor that just doesn't work for you? I recently purchased a REX Envoy. I have had it for about a month. I can't seem to get comfortable with it at all. I have shaved with it three times and each time, even with my favorite blades, is just a chore. I set it aside for a while come back to it, the same thing. I don't think this will be in my den very long. I was just curious if others have that "one" razor.

Don’t give up on it quite yet. Try several different blades, & try shallow & steep angles. Also, use it for every shave for 7 - 10 shaves in a row. Different razors require different technique to get it to perform well. Get to know it, then decide if it’s what you’re looking for, or not.

Don’t give up on it quite yet. Try several different blades, & try shallow & steep angles. Also, use it for every shave for 7 - 10 shaves in a row. Different razors require different technique to get it to perform well. Get to know it, then decide if it’s what you’re looking for, or not.
You make a good point. My favorite blades seem to be those on the sharper side. I usually use them with my 34c. I will try a milder blade tomorrow. Thanks!

So @Bryan_D whats the deal? Not getting a close shave? Angle issue? Irritation/Razor Burn? What’s getting your goat? I have a bevy of razors but when I get new one in the only blade that goes in it is my “reference” blade. For me that is a Voskhod. I could strap one to a rock and get a reference shave out of it. So keep throwing your reference blade into it until you get the shave result you are familiar with. From there you can say “aggressive” sure, milder blade or subsequently “mild” I’ll add a sharper blade ala Kai, Nacet or Feather.

So @Bryan_D whats the deal? Not getting a close shave? Angle issue? Irritation/Razor Burn? What’s getting your goat? I have a bevy of razors but when I get new one in the only blade that goes in it is my “reference” blade. For me that is a Voskhod. I could strap one to a rock and get a reference shave out of it. So keep throwing your reference blade into it until you get the shave result you are familiar with. From there you can say “aggressive” sure, milder blade or subsequently “mild” I’ll add a sharper blade ala Kai, Nacet or Feather.
Reference blade.... I like it!!!

R

romsitsa

I have many, like US TTO-s or the sc New. Majority would most likely work, if I’d change my technique, but having more than one “prefect” razor, I won’t bother.

Adam

I.... I recently purchased a REX Envoy. I have had it for about a month. I can't seem to get comfortable with it at all. I have shaved with it three times and each time, even with my favorite blades, is just a chore. I set it aside for a while come back to it, the same thing. .....

I think you answer your major problem in the description ;)

New razor - Maybe a different angle from what you used to use
3 Times - Use it more times and if possible in a row
Favorite blade - doesn't mean that's the best blade for that razor in your face or if it will works well in that Razor

Don't give up so easy, use it more times and with different blades and most important keep calm and learn a little bit with every shave you do with that razor ;)

I think you answer your major problem in the description ;)

New razor - Maybe a different angle from what you used to use
3 Times - Use it more times and if possible in a row
Favorite blade - doesn't mean that's the best blade for that razor in your face or if it will works well in that Razor

Don't give up so easy, use it more times and with different blades and most important keep calm and learn a little bit with every shave you do with that razor ;)
A great point regarding the razor blade. Frustration, it seems, is getting the best of me...

Today's shave was much different. I took into consideration the suggestions given to me from everyone and tried to implement them. Mostly I changed my technique and paid attention to pressure and angle. Skin irritation/razor burn was little to none. Was it a close shave; not by a long shot. Certainly, a better shave and I believe a step in the right direction. Thanks, everyone!!

I have had the experience that you are describing with a couple of different razors. Like others have said, I put them away for a few weeks and worked with others. When I retried the previously offending razors, there were fine. Hang in there.

I have one of those. Mercury Futur. I have some others that I don’t particularly like, but I can shave with them. Not the Futur. And I’m not afraid of aggressive razors; my daily driver is an R41. But I just have to look at the Futur and it bites me. Some fights are just not worth it; it’s going up for sale soon.

I have one of those. Mercury Futur. I have some others that I don’t particularly like, but I can shave with them. Not the Futur. And I’m not afraid of aggressive razors; my daily driver is an R41. But I just have to look at the Futur and it bites me. Some fights are just not worth it; it’s going up for sale soon.
That is the way I feel... But I really do want to give this razor a chance...

I had a similar experience with my RR Jaws. Among the GC 84, GC 84OC, Karve D plate OC and Blackbird OC, the Jaws just didn’t work even after a layoff. If it doesn’t work, sell it and find another.

If it is a similar shave to the Ambassador, then a much slicker soap/cream would help. I find the shaves a little harsh with the Ambassador unless I grab a slick soap and spend more time with prep.

The Body Shop Maca Root cream works well, very slick, but no scent to speak of.

If it is a similar shave to the Ambassador, then a much slicker soap/cream would help. I find the shaves a little harsh with the Ambassador unless I grab a slick soap and spend more time with prep.

The Body Shop Maca Root cream works well, very slick, but no scent to speak of.

The Envoy is equivalent to setting 3 on the Ambassador. I'll try a slicker soap. That combined with honing my technique should see a vast improvement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Envoy is equivalent to setting 3 on the Ambassador. I'll try a slicker soap. That combined with honing my technique should see a vast improvement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just finished using the Envoy every day for a month during the Fixed Four game. Initially I was a bit intimidated by it, but at the end of the month, I was convinced that it's the best razor, for me, that I own. Give it a chance... or 30.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom