What's new

Is this normal for a Ever Ready Streamline?

My Streamline arrived yesterday and I just put a blade in it to see how it looks before I shave later and I've noticed that the blade is somewhat misaligned. It's nothing major, but I expecred a bit more from a vintage premium razor. Or pehaps the new blades are slightly different from the old ones, which is where the problem lies. Does anyone have similar issues?

306832243_3349345485344057_4246926776378982091_n.jpg

That's their "Slant" prototype - it never really caught on. 😉

Really? Well, then I guess this is a very rare find indeed! So, if anyone wants to buy it, just send me a private message and it will be yours for the low price of $200. It also includes the chrome plated case, which is also not as common as the bakelite ones. The deal of the century awaits :letterk1:.

Not sure if you can see it, but the blade sits ok on the inside. I have a feeling that the razor might have been dropped and the top cap is probably crooked or something.

306795273_3349453695333236_4592148470869464193_n.jpg
306826570_3349453795333226_7210508240015934957_n.jpg
306828385_3349453741999898_2462710572797017199_n.jpg

Definitely the top cap not straight. If the blade is sitting against the teeth then it must be sitting square in the head.

Maybe one of the blade stoppers is eaten a bit more and makes one side of the blade to stick a bit further? I don't think it affects the shave that much, but it's still annoying.

Annoyance aside, how well does it shave?

In the one picture it appears the blade on the right side of the picture is lower on the teeth. SE razors generally ride the cap of the razor on the face, not the teeth of the razor on the face. Therefore, the issue may be irrelevant.

Again, how is the comfort and the efficiency of the shave?

Annoyance aside, how well does it shave?

In the one picture it appears the blade on the right side of the picture is lower on the teeth. SE razors generally ride the cap of the razor on the face, not the teeth of the razor on the face. Therefore, the issue may be irrelevant.

Again, how is the comfort and the efficiency of the shave?

For me, the Streamline shaves almost like my late 1912, but I think it's a bit more aggressive. I don't think that small misalignment makes even the slightest difference at all or at least I can't feel it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The streamline is a wonderful razor and to me it is upper mid range and designed based off the old thick Gem spine back. The Gem modern blades have a thinner spline in thickness so what I do is put a de-splined flattened underneath the new blade and go from there. It will make the shave a little smoother but I shaved for a while with out a shim under the modern blade but it was a little aggressive to my liking. Once I shimmed the razor blade I was able to master the Streamline better and my technique has improved over time. Also when looking at the your photo it confirms what I measured differences from it to the 1912 model.
Everready moved the blade stops further forward than other Gem models so it increases aggression. There are a few methods to improve aggression with any razor and some are thinner top cap, narrower base plate width, bigger gap or move the blade stops forward and the streamline models have stops moved forward IMO.
The Streamline is eye candy to most Gem users but once you learn its strengths and weaknesses it can be a very nice shave I have found.
(Some archived photo's to help explain what I'm talking about adding a spent spline under the modern blade.)
Eveready spline shimmed for a smoother shave..jpg

I had a hard time wrapping my head around how this spline could smooth out the shave slightly and what it does is reduce the gap slightly but 2-3/1000 of a inch possibly which is not a lot but it still a factor IMO.
Gem blade gap decreases as blade tilt increases is my conclusion by simple observation 3..jpg

The evolution of Gem blades over time. The modern blade was introduced in the 1950's if that matters I figured.
(L) modern blade VS earlier Gem and Ever-ready blades................... (R)Wedge blade VS earlier pre 1950's modern blade
Comparing spline thickness 1.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Looking at your Photo about the unevenness it might be a groove might of been worn in the one side more from just use or a bad drop at one time. When I flip the top cap down I do not like to let slap hard like a lot of folks do, once a blade stop is sheared off the razor is not useable anymore. Some older razors need a little more care and flipping the top cap down so it slaps hard does no good IMO.
Enjoy your Streamline razor!

I think I’ve cracked the case here.

I just got one of these myself (first one) and it has the exact same misalignment.

Notice the underside rear of the head has a flat spring that interacts with the rear bottom corners of the top cap when opening and closing? Mine appears to be bent on one side - and I can’t tell which is the undamaged side, as this is the only streamline I’ve ever held.

948ED176-62F1-4A80-A3F9-1F4B0DA76FA9.jpeg

@Medivh , if you look at both sides of that flat spring in open and closed position - I bet you’ll notice that the way those spring ends bend is not identical on yours either.

DCE0AFED-BBC9-4E65-8A85-E86B420821CA.jpeg
12061C04-006F-4700-A1E4-A10BC92C8F67.jpeg
C49C0CF7-771D-4867-828D-D47DA4B7124A.jpeg
FA742FFC-2032-43BE-B478-A3FCFA2D2109.jpeg

The big questions for me are - can this be fixed? Does it even need to be fixed?

I’m literally 30 seconds into the streamline game - someone who knows a lot more than me here, would love to get your take?

I think I’ve cracked the case here.

I just got one of these myself (first one) and it has the exact same misalignment.

Notice the underside rear of the head has a flat spring that interacts with the rear bottom corners of the top cap when opening and closing? Mine appears to be bent on one side - and I can’t tell which is the undamaged side, as this is the only streamline I’ve ever held.

View attachment 1534405

@Medivh , if you look at both sides of that flat spring in open and closed position - I bet you’ll notice that the way those spring ends bend is not identical on yours either.

View attachment 1534406View attachment 1534409View attachment 1534410View attachment 1534411

The big questions for me are - can this be fixed? Does it even need to be fixed?

I’m literally 30 seconds into the streamline game - someone who knows a lot more than me here, would love to get your take?

That's very informative and it might help me fix mine. I don't think the misalignments affects the shave in any way, because the blade exposure is pretty much the same and the only difference is that the upper part of the razor isn't aligned and it gives the illusion that the edge of the blade might be a bit slanted.

That's very informative and it might help me fix mine. I don't think the misalignments affects the shave in any way, because the blade exposure is pretty much the same and the only difference is that the upper part of the razor isn't aligned and it gives the illusion that the edge of the blade might be a bit slanted.
That helps me as well, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to shave with mine, but after I read what you wrote, I had a go this morning.

A couple of weepers, but one of the closest shaves of my life. I think I'm going to try Ron's spline shim and see if things go bloodlessly tomorrow.

Thanks @Ron R ! Tried the spline shim, and my Jewel retained its ruthless efficiency but lost its thirst for blood.

What other razors benefit from this technique, please? I have an English Gem 1912, a Brooklyn Gem 1912, an MMOC (with bumps) and a 13-nub safety bar Clog Pruf.

Ron R

Thanks @Ron R ! Tried the spline shim, and my Jewel retained its ruthless efficiency but lost its thirst for blood.

What other razors benefit from this technique, please? I have an English Gem 1912, a Brooklyn Gem 1912, an MMOC (with bumps) and a 13-nub safety bar Clog Pruf.
Glade it helped a little, there are some ASR razors that are in the early releases of the 1911 and 1912 models and what to look for is when the spring indicator is all the way forward indicating not enough spring load on the blade possibly. Also the 1930-32 bump-less Micromatic open comb could be shimmed also but it will still work but it would be slightly more aggressive. They added shim or bump risers in all their models 1932> forward when they introduced the double edge blades that where also spine less to compete with DE Gillette blades.
(Old archived photo's showing the differences how far forward the blade is set in the Streamline razor compared to the 1912 model making it more aggressive.) It just shows also there are different ways to make razors more aggressive with blade stops set forward on the safety bar. ASR used different methods for aggression in their razors with different thickness of top caps also.
(L) indicator in top cap slot is to far forward and should be shimmed underneath the NEW aluminum blade IMO.
(R) Streamline shimmed with the indicator in top cap slot showing the blade has some tension.
Comparing Gem 1912 to a Everready streamline razor blade to safety bar..jpg

Brass MMOC has no bump risers on the base plate............................Gem Double edge blades.
comparing two MMOC (2).jpg
Gem Double edge blades..jpg

Have some great shaves!

I tried to fix this problem on mine by bending the stops. Did not work out. Only installing a spacer made from the aluminum part of a used Gem blade solved the problem.

Top Bottom