Is this loopasplace nonsense an ad or was site hacked?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by SliceOfLife, Jul 14, 2019.

Browsing on my iPhone, it’s starting to get those ads that come up randomly and force you to some nonsensical page about how you won a thousand dollars that can’t be navigatied away from. You know The ones, the ones that are on all the worst news sites online you’ll find when you’re googling something and just take the first or second response without actually reading the description. They completely destroy the site it’s usable from my iPhone at this point. Is this an ad or was the site hacked?

1. Toothpick

Toothpick Moderator

This happens to you when browsing B&B? More than likely the issue is on your end. I’ve got no issues browsing on my iPhone or ipad. Clear your browsing history and cache.

2. Dcaddo

Dcaddo Moderator Emeritus

No issues here and I’m almost always on my phone when browsing here.

3. Will try it. Thanks.

4. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

I think we are spared the adsense being Mod/Emeritus are we not?

5. I had the issue on Sunday night with that same annoying ad. I was redirected whenever going to B&B. It happened on my phone and on my iPad. No issues on Monday morning, so I assumed B&B was hacked.

6. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

@SpecialK is the sheriff round these parts. Maybe he would have some insight.

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Moderator

No exploits have taken place, that I'm aware of. This is probably a bad ad, which I, unfortunately, don't have control over. @SliceOfLife I just upgraded you to a copper member for the next week. Let me know if these ads continue.

8. REV579

REV579 Contributor

These are usually related to cookies and cache that overlap. For example, once you click on an "ad" that shows up in a google search, you are going to find that your pages are going to be littered with ads from 3rd party trackers. Sites with ads tend to eventually mess up a person's overall web-browsing experience due to the ad cookies doing more mining than advertising.

9. It is interesting that it happened to both slice of life and me at the same time. I can’t remember clicking on ads and very coincidental that it happened with the same ad on two devices.

10. REV579

REV579 Contributor

Before becoming a contributor, my computer ran extremely hot when on this site due to the ads. My OS was being flooded with activity.

11. Thanks everyone. And yes, it does appear that it was a cache issue. I’ve encountered it on other sites and always assumed that it was their particular ads, but maybe it’s something that gets carried over. Once I cleared my cache I haven’t seen any since.