What's new

Is this Gillette Tech razor?

Hello everyone. I need your help because I'm a bit confused. I got offer for Gillette Tech, but I have my doubts. There is no inscription at the top and nothing at the bottom. And the handle looks too glamorous against the head. The handle looks like British ball end but head don't match. At least that's how it seems to me. What do you think?

Attachments

• gillette-tech2.jpg
    gillette-tech2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 149
  • gillette-tech1.jpg
    gillette-tech1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 148
  • gillette-tech.jpg
    gillette-tech.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 147
Looks like a knockoff head (China, Pakistan, or India) on either an original ball end or a modern knockoff handle. Is the handle aluminum or heavier (possibly brass)? There are both aluminum and brass handle knockoffs on the market currently. The head is not Gillette, without the Gillette markings. There are currently at least 6 Tech head copies on the market today. One is the Super Blue from China, which is supposed to be a genuine Gillette product. The Chinese Super Blue shaves the same as the last US produced Techs from the 70's and early 80's. Your razor will most likely shave just fine, so don't worry about it.

Techs with no logo on the cap were definitely made in the UK in the 1950s (if not elsewhere). That is if this is reliable:

I'm in the UK and I have a couple in that ball-end handle style that came in cases marked Gillette with a few original Gillette blades in packaging of the period. Also the base plate has the Gillette trade mark on the underside together with "Made in England". So if it's a scam to put a fake modern head (cap only?) with everything else, it's a pretty elaborate one - and I've been done! So I'd say what your photo shows could easily be a Tech. Could you add more pix showing the head end on and disassembled.

Techs with no logo on the cap were definitely made in the UK in the 1950s (if not elsewhere). That is if this is reliable:

I'm in the UK and I have a couple in that ball-end handle style that came in cases marked Gillette with a few original Gillette blades in packaging of the period. Also the base plate has the Gillette trade mark on the underside together with "Made in England". So if it's a scam to put a fake modern head (cap only?) with everything else, it's a pretty elaborate one - and I've been done! So I'd say what your photo shows could easily be a Tech. Could you add more pix showing the head end on and disassembled.
I have one like the one you described!

Ditto. If it doesn't have the Gillette logo on the baseplate, it isn't a Tech. The head looks like a fairly close clone of a later model tech head (60's-70's).
+1. Having just re-read what others have said, this is the clincher. Trademark on the baseplate. The later Techs also had beveled shoulders on the cap. My 50s Techs have square shoulders.

Last edited:
Whoops! Just noticed the beveled shoulders in the OP pix. I'm not sure any more. Sad to say that head is not a match for the ones I have I believe are 50s Techs.

Sorry I may have added confusion here. I was a bit too focused on the absence of a logo on the cap and at first missed that small detail. More detailed pix of the head would definitely help.

Last edited:
The Mr. Razor photo is a British Flat Bottom Tech. The razor in question, does not have a flat bottom. I own a 1948 British Flat Bottom Tech (which I had refinished in bright nickel by Back Roads Gold) in essentially brand new condition, plus many other vintage Gillette Techs. All of them have the Gillette diamond on the baseplate. My flat bottom Tech shaves better than nearly every razor in my collection, regardless of price (new, vintage, artisan, SE, DE, etc.). IMHO, it may be the best razor ever produced, and that is why most modern mass produced and artisan razors have copied it's "working dimensions".

Top Bottom