What's new

Is this Gillette Slim in Excellent Condition or Just Very Good?

Everything looks excellent but tarnishing/Usage? On the one edge
See Photo one.

What I want to know is if this makes the Razor a "Very Good " condition instead of Excellent. I can't decide whether to return it. I paid top dollar $87.00 and after shipping and taxes came out to be $100.00

See picture 1 and 2
And how clean it is on the rest of the Photos

Please give advice I'm not sure if I should complain to the seller.

Gslim Prob 1.JPG

Gslim Prob 2.JPG

Gslim_Arrive1.JPG

Gslim_Arrive2.JPG

Gslim_Arrive3.JPG
Gslim_Arrive3.JPG

Razors aren’t like vinyl records or books, as far as I’m aware. What I mean by that is I don’t think there’s any formal grading in place for vintage examples. I don’t think you need to pay $87 for a Slim in that condition but it looks fine to me. I’m not sure what you have got to complain about?

Razors aren’t like vinyl records or books, as far as I’m aware. What I mean by that is I don’t think there’s any formal grading in place for vintage examples. I don’t think you need to pay $87 for a Slim in that condition but it looks fine to me. I’m not sure what you have got to complain about?
While it may not be important to you, Razors are definitely priced by their condition. The better the condition the higher the price. I pay top dollar to get Razors in Excellent Condition. That edge really bothers me, I wouldn't have paid this amount if I knew that the edge was tarnished. But I want some opinions if I'm being overly picky.

Last edited:
Can't really tell from the photos. It seems like a lot of money for a used razor, one that's not rare, even if in excellent condition...whatever that constitutes. The original case? However, the tarnish should buff out with a little Fitz polish.

Or return it. That's your right. And the risk of online shopping.

While it may not be important to you, Razors are definitely priced by their condition. The better the condition the higher the price. I pay top dollar to get Razors in Excellent Condition. That edge really bothers me, I wouldn't have paid this amount if I knew that the edge was tarnished. But I want some opinions if I'm being overly picky.
I didn’t say it wasn’t important to me, I said there’s no official grading system. If it was a vinyl record described as near mint for example, and you found a scratch on the surface, you’d be entitled to a refund, no question. With razors on eBay, it’s just words typed in a description by the seller. I’ve seen them describe used razors as being in mint condition numerous times, which is ridiculous. For something to be in mint condition, it has to be unused.

That's a personal decision you have to make. There will be many diverse opinions on B&B. If you are not happy with it or the description, that's up to you.

I have never bought a razor on Etsy. However, some of the razors I have bought on eBay have been described incorrectly. I recall one SE razor I bought was pictured one way with no tarnish or brass missing. It looked beautiful. When I got the razor it was in utility shape. It shaved fine but was not the razor I bid on. I planned to return the razor but when I found out how much that would cost returning it to Canada I worked out a compromise. If you found your razor was not described correctly you may want to work out a settlement.

Good luck.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I wouldn’t pay $87 for a Slim even if it was NOS. Worth is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If you think it’s not worth 87 bucks in that condition ask to return it. User grade, Very good, Excellent.....one man’s Very Good might be another man’s User Grade. The bottom line is whatever the buyer is willing to pay is what the value is.

Ask to return it. And if you can’t then I suppose next time when you see a razor in Excellent condition you’ll know it’s really just Very Good in your opinion.

Hard to say. I would also consider that perhaps your expectations may be off due to seeing so many decent user razors get deep cleaned and then polished. The polishing put on these things by many of the folks here most likely surpasses the original finish quality of these razors. But I would still say go with your gut, or take it as a learning experience.

I am even amazed by the number of folks buying nice stainless razors like the game changers and taking them to their shop and running the buffer wheel on them. In my view, they are more than fine the way it is when it arrives.

I ended up returning it for a full refund and he will compensate for the shipping. Hopefully the return goes smooth.

I got second opinions from my co-oworkers and they all agreed that the amount of damage on that edge disqualified it from being in excellent condition.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The last cased Slim I sold went for about $30, an H4 (1966) in very similar condition but my setup only held a 6-pack of blades and had the gold textured floor.

Glad you got your money back.

while i may agree the price was a just a bit high compared to other slims on ebay, i still do think it's in really great condition.

did you try cleaning it at all first? if it's just a little tarnished in one spot on the edge (which i can't even see in the pics), that probably would've cleaned off with a toothbrush and some scrubbing bubbles/dish soap/polish. what i can see is that the handle shows no signs of use or wear, the knurling is totally perfect. the area around the adjustment knob also looks perfect and shiny, and the blade gap looks nice and straight.

are you talking about the small dark splotches on the underside edge of the bottom baseplate, not the edge of the guard/safety bar itself, if so, that part doesn't even touch your face....and it might've wiped off with some soap and polish

Last edited:
These are mass produced items and they weren't perfect when new. That said, at the price you paid versus market I would have very high expectations.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I don't buy used razors if there are not enough pictures of them in the listing. If you're not sure, ask for more pictures before bidding or buying.

Consumer satisfaction is a complicated topic. Sometimes pictures can be deceptive, either for better or for worse. Any time someone buys an item based on a picture there is an element of risk. In my experience, however, pictures tend to enhance cosmetic flaws.

Also the razor is about 60 years old (!) though that's no excuse for misrepresentation.

You did the right thing to return it if the razor's condition didn't meet your standard, and I'm glad the return transaction went well

were pictures available before you bought it?

I have one that looks brand new, I paid less with NO box ; but now that I know a bit more about razors, I could bet it is a re-plated razor!!

On the other hand, I bought a Red tip and the seller was very candid about it being re plated....that one was inexpensive, looks great and shaves great!! a nice seller.

Both on the bay....such a hit or miss place

while i may agree the price was a just a bit high compared to other slims on ebay, i still do think it's in really great condition.

did you try cleaning it at all first? if it's just a little tarnished in one spot on the edge (which i can't even see in the pics), that probably would've cleaned off with a toothbrush and some scrubbing bubbles/dish soap/polish. what i can see is that the handle shows no signs of use or wear, the knurling is totally perfect. the area around the adjustment knob also looks perfect and shiny, and the blade gap looks nice and straight.

are you talking about the small dark splotches on the underside edge of the bottom baseplate, not the edge of the guard/safety bar itself, if so, that part doesn't even touch your face....and it might've wiped off with some soap and polish
If I clean it and rub off the nickel than I have to keep it. For the price I paid I shouldn't have to refurb it.

Anyway just bought a slim in comparable condition for 25 bucks less.

My dissatisfaction is that I paid top dollar and expected excellent quality product.

I'll post pics when it arrives

Top Bottom